Here we go again......need rain badly

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Here we go again......need rain badly

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 13th, 2017, 8:51 am

Proof positive that it will take far more than a single semi-wet spring to get our groundwater supplies back up to snuff. All local NJ trout streams are below normal flows for this time of year. We need a wet summer, a wet fall, and a wet winter at the very least to bring water supplies to where they should be.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: Here we go again......need rain badly

Postby JeffK on June 13th, 2017, 10:45 am

Amen. The smaller creeks near me are back to practically drought levels. On another side, the Catskill deluge water from Monday 6/5 sure changed things for the Delaware. On Saturday it was high and muddy when I crossed it at Milford, NJ. Today it is still well above normal. Shad were caught in Easton yesterday, so I may go for one more shad outing. Crazy late fishing for a banner year.
JeffK

Postby alwaysfishing on June 13th, 2017, 10:52 am

Went to the Ramapo Sunday morning at 6:00 a.m. above the Bear Swap bridge. Pools on far side usually are 3-4 feet deep with an undercut bank, nice flow of water. It was dead slow, low and the undercut bank was half exposed. Got nothing but a few sunny bites (those things live forever). Stayed about 45 minutes and left. Unless we get some significant rainfall and coupled with the 90+ temps I'm going bass fishing the next few days and weekends.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Flyzlo on June 16th, 2017, 7:01 am

We're still way off compared to last year - and last year was dry. Morris County is down over 9", Hunterdon and Warren down over 5". Source is NOAA at http://www.weather.gov/marfc/NJPrecipitation365Day
Flyzlo

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 16th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Flyzlo wrote:We're still way off compared to last year - and last year was dry. Morris County is down over 9", Hunterdon and Warren down over 5". Source is NOAA at http://www.weather.gov/marfc/NJPrecipitation365Day

We are actually up over last year, but the graph you show is against average and not against only the previous year. For that we are 9" or so below average. That said, we are still far behind in rainfall. So far, today has been a bust and it's a perfect trout day to rain since it is overcast and cool already. No runoff from super heated rooftops and asphalt roads.
Rusty Spinner

Postby MR.MCR on June 17th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Rained like cats and dogs in North Brunswick for almost an hour this morning.......
NJ's #1 Estate Sale Company ...Estatesalesbyolga.com
MR.MCR

Postby Flyzlo on June 18th, 2017, 8:54 am

Got .9" yesterday (Saturday) in Alexandria Twsp.
Flyzlo

Postby martalus on June 19th, 2017, 2:21 am

Heavy rain and storms predicted for Monday-Monday night with a flash flood warning. Flashfloods aren't ideal I guess, but its water.
martalus

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 19th, 2017, 11:42 am

It's POURING right now and I love it! :D

Flanders in northwestern Morris close to Warren and Sussex. More on the way.....and the roads and rooftops weren't brutally hot today when it started.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Drossi on June 19th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:It's POURING right now and I love it! :D

Flanders in northwestern Morris close to Warren and Sussex. More on the way.....and the roads and rooftops weren't brutally hot today when it started.

I'm hoping for an hour or so window tonight so I can go chase dirty water wild browns. :)
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 19th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Drossi wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:It's POURING right now and I love it! :D

I'm hoping for an hour or so window tonight so I can go chase dirty water wild browns. :)

Great minds think alike, but there is a doozie of a storm headed this way, I fear. It's hard to say when it will hit us here. Nasty line of reds and yellows trailing to our southwest and headed toward the northeast right in our path.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Flyzlo on June 20th, 2017, 7:13 am

The sky looked like the end of the world to west of Alexandria yesterday (Monday afternoon), low, dark greenish clouds - I though we were in for a good dose, but ended up with just .5" when it was all done. Looks like Flatbrook got a 1" and pumped it up from <40 CFS to >600 CFS.
Flyzlo

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 20th, 2017, 10:49 am

Flyzlo wrote:The sky looked like the end of the world to west of Alexandria yesterday (Monday afternoon), low, dark greenish clouds - I though we were in for a good dose, but ended up with just .5" when it was all done. Looks like Flatbrook got a 1" and pumped it up from <40 CFS to >600 CFS.

Agreed, pretty much a dud for most of the state. I did see that yellow and red hammer the Flatbrook and flows are still climbing there. Were around 643 but about topped off it looked like. Flows on the Musky and SBR are below normal for this time of year yet again, so we need more rain.
Rusty Spinner

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing