NJ Wild Trout Proposal?

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

NJ Wild Trout Proposal?

Postby RobTF on April 7th, 2017, 12:27 pm

RobTF

Re: NJ Wild Trout Proposal?

Postby barkeater on April 7th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Don't know what you mean by "backstory". These are proposals from fish & game which they have presented at the freshwater open forums they held this past several months. They have also been going around to TU chapter meetings to explain. As I understand it they want to further protect native brookies as well as the populations of wild trout which can be either of the three species. The goal is to have a sustainable breeding population for wild trout and in native streams to protect brookies from incursion from browns or rainbows and sustain their populations. The barbless and treble changes were from fishermen surveys which showed that the majority of fishermen wanted them even though research does not fully support an increased mortality. See article in Freshwater Digest. I'm sure Brian can add more info, but this is how I understand it.
barkeater

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 8th, 2017, 11:27 am

Yes, what do you want to know specifically? My Ridge & Valley TU chapter will get the Division's presentation on Thursday, April 20th at 7:30 pm at the Pequest Hatchery where we meet. All are welcome and you don't have to be a member. But I'm happy to answer any questions I can. Bottom line is these proposed regs changes are the most significant ever in the state of NJ when it comes to protecting wild trout. And they will continue to stock over 600,000 trout into all the "other" waters, so there's something here for everyone. Some of the hook-n-cook stockie chasers won't be happy on certain waters, but once they come to grips with it and realize there are more stockies in less water and they find those stocked waters, they should be fine with things. I know I strongly support these proposals.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby The Royal Coachman on April 9th, 2017, 7:25 am

Does this mean the state has no intentions of stocking anything but rainbow trout?
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby NJAngler on April 9th, 2017, 9:12 am

I like the wild trout zone idea. It protects all the native brook trout and is not that complicated. If a trout angler cant tell the difference between a brook trout and brown or rainbow trout well then maybe they should take up a new hobby.
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Postby Drossi on April 9th, 2017, 10:19 am

The Royal Coachman wrote:Does this mean the state has no intentions of stocking anything but rainbow trout?

Could be rabbit, could be... :?
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 9th, 2017, 11:33 am

The Royal Coachman wrote:Does this mean the state has no intentions of stocking anything but rainbow trout?

No, they do have plans to raise other trout eventually. They specifically said that no other trout will be raised until Pequest has a roof over the raceways. I just learned Thursday that project might not be in place for another 5 years. So eventually we'll see them raise browns and possibly brook trout, but where those other trout species will be stocked is yet to be determined. Likely outside the wild trout zone which is basically northwest NJ. Pequest at one time was # 1 for the state government sites as far as converting to solar, and that is all part of the roofs over the raceways to keep birds of prey that carry diseases like furunculosis out. But the NJ State Police and one other agency put pressure on Trenton to jump in front of the Division's Pequest solar project pushing it back from this year to about 5 years from now.
Rusty Spinner

Postby RobTF on April 11th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Thanks guys, I was locked out for a while but twism got me setup again.

Most of what I was wondering has been answered, and I'm super excited that NJ
is taking extra steps to protect wild trout fisheries.
RobTF

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 16th, 2017, 1:00 pm

If you want to hear directly from our Division biologists about the science behind these proposed changes to better protect wild trout, our Ridge & Valley TU chapter will have two biologists to speak this coming Thursday, the 20th, at 7:30 pm at the Pequest Hatchery's Education building. All are welcome, you do not need to be a TU member.
Rusty Spinner

Postby barkeater on April 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm

I hope the state gives us exact guidelines on how much of a mashed barb they want. I'm all for it and always mash my barb unless I'm tying something ridiculously small like size 26 midge dry flies where I can't fit them in the vice to mash. Sometimes when I mash I'm left with a little bump which I don't mind because it helps to keep my dropper on in a tandem rig and doesn't hinder release. Other times the mash comes out with no hint that there was once a barb. I'll be happy to do the latter but state guys please tell us up front so we can comply.
barkeater

Postby Twism86 on July 5th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Those proposed rules seems ok even though I would prefer that all wild trout streams, regardless of the species, be C&R only. I know we have to keep everyone happy but I dont think very many people go to a non-stocked stream looking to bring home fish. Also, the barbless hook rules always rubs me the wrong way, as there is no data that proves barbed hooks increase fish mortality.
"Stupidity is scary, but genius is scarier.
Genius topples nations, genius built the atom bomb."
Twism86

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing