License check

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

License check

Postby Dale on April 21st, 2017, 5:02 pm

I fish all over the US. The older that I have gotten, the more off the beaten path I like to fish. With that said, in well over 40 years of fishing, I have only been checked for a license twice. Never in NJ. Both times were within 5 miles of Killington, Vermont. Others?
Dale

Re: License check

Postby Pete on April 21st, 2017, 6:53 pm

In over 60 years of fishing, I've been checked twice.
Once in Germany, once in New York.

Having said that.... since New Jersey made us start wearing our licenses in a conspicuous manner, it's possible that I've been checked without knowing it.
Pete

Postby Dale on April 21st, 2017, 7:28 pm

Pete wrote:In over 60 years of fishing, I've been checked twice.

Having said that.... since New Jersey made us start wearing our licenses in a conspicuous manner, it's possible that I've been checked without knowing it.

When I was a teenager, my friend couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for a license. He made his out of paper and yellow mustard. They might want to take a closer look.
Dale

Postby barkeater on April 21st, 2017, 10:47 pm

I was checked 2 years ago in KLG.
barkeater

Postby MR.MCR on April 22nd, 2017, 5:06 am

Pete wrote:In over 60 years of fishing, I've been checked twice.

Many times they check using binoculars........
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby NJpatbee on April 22nd, 2017, 11:59 am

In 50 years twice in Jersey and one time in NH.
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Postby Paul W on April 22nd, 2017, 9:09 pm

In 45 plus years of fishing, I've been checked at least six times in NJ (once by binoculars at Round Valley) and twice in NC. One of the times in NJ was along the Delaware at DWGNRA when two officers pulled up in a boat. They looked me over and then spoke with a nearby family with no licenses and a limited command of English. One line that stood out from their conversation: "But we didn't catch any fish."
Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby johnw on April 22nd, 2017, 9:38 pm

In over 60 years of fishing checked once at Garveys Pond in Middletown, Nj.
johnw

Postby NJAngler on April 23rd, 2017, 8:27 am

I've been checked far more times in Pa than NJ. WCO's/Park Rangers over there at least get out of their trucks and walk.I was once checked along a C&R stream a good mile from the parking area. Guy even searched my vest for bait! I didn't mind since I wasn't carrying any. I don't think I've been checked once fishing a WTS in NJ.
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Postby BiggerThomas on April 23rd, 2017, 9:09 am

Years ago, when I first started fly fishing, a NY officer inquired about my license. I was wearing a Red Sox hat so of course like any good New Yorker he was obligated to make a joke. "Red Sox, eh? Don't you know you're in New York?"

I thought for a second and then risked my response: "Yes. Don't you know you're in America? I can wear what I want."

We both had a uneasy but hearty laugh.

That was the only time I've ever (knowingly) been checked.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby GregT on April 23rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

45 years never checked in NJ

about once every 3 years checked in NY

Montana 3 times out of 12 years
GregT

Postby The Royal Coachman on April 23rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

3 times in Jersey in( I hate to admit it but :lol:) 36 years of Trout fishing
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby alwaysfishing on April 24th, 2017, 10:21 am

Interesting. I fish in Michigan (in laws live there) and the DNR, or Department of Natural Resources, checks everyone regularly. I have rarely been there without getting checked. In NJ, I saw the rangers on the Ramapo once, sitting in plain view with binoculars at 7:30 one opening day, looking for guys who chested on the 8:00 start (which is a complete joke, but another story altogether).

So, often I Michigan and never in NJ, NY, Vermont, Wyoming, Nova Scotia and wherever else I fished.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 24th, 2017, 10:53 am

That I can recall in my 48 years fishing, once while riding my bike with fishing rod in hand along route 100 along the Mad River in Vermont. Several times in both NY (muliple) and PA (once) on the WBD. My one PA time was at Ball's Eddy boat launch where I was meeting a buddy who was bringing his drift boat, I was early and not rigged up nor did I have my gear out yet, but that CO demanded he see my fishing license. I showed it to him and stated that technically he had no idea if I was going fishing, standing at a boat launch, or kayaking the river. He wasn't amused, but I hate abusive power and there was no reason to ask for my fishing license when I'm standing there in jeans and a t shirt without fishing gear of any kind. Then there are the many times I'm on the Flatbrook or Point Mountain when I see the Park Rangers or COs check me with their binoculars from far away. Also got checked in the salt for a NJ saltwater registry card a few years ago by the NJ State Police Marine Patrol boat. I think the police were looking for shorts, and the license thing was just a way to stop boats to check catches.

That said, I get checked FAR more often while hunting.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Drossi on April 24th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Probably checked 4 times in NJ in 40 years. Twice had been on opening day when I was in my late teens/ early 20's.The other time was on a stocking night also when I was in my teens (they were really likely checking to see if I was fishing early). The last time was 5 years ago in March in downtown Dover! I was shaking down a new bamboo rod I got before the season closed. CO came walking up the track bed and checked me. I BS'd with him for probably 15 minutes about the fishing, the river, the rod, and I told him where I've seen people doing illegal stuff in the past.

Been checked twice in PA and twice on the mainstem of the D by national parks service too.

My shits in order so it's never a big deal and I usually thank the CO for checking me as I'm glad they are out doing their jobs.
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby joepanella on April 24th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I have been checked on that stocked pond in Millburn in front of the Papermill Playhouse, i have been checked on the Deleware. My father has had his cooler checked on the Deleware twice. I have been checked for Felt shoes on the Savage in Maryland, i was not bothered about a license though. When i was 20 i was talking to a ranger on the Casselman in Maryland, he never asked me for my license, he probably didn't want me to get out the river as i was catching fish. When we were done he proceeded to check every guy bait fishing that was close to me.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby WadeDeeper on April 25th, 2017, 7:53 am

In 36 years in Jersey have been checked 5 times once by boat in the Delaware. Once by boat in Greenwood Lake in NY. . 4-5 times in NY State.
Practically everyday in Alaska! which was interesting.. Twice in MT.
And on Sunday for the first time my saltwater registry was checked in CT.
WadeDeeper

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 25th, 2017, 11:31 am

WadeDeeper wrote:In 36 years in Jersey have been checked 5 times once by boat in the Delaware. Once by boat in Greenwood Lake in NY. . 4-5 times in NY State.

WD - do we just need our NJ saltwater registry to fish the salt in other states or do we need to buy licenses in those coastal states that sell them or from the free registry if they do that over a sold license if you know?
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Flyzlo on April 25th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
WadeDeeper wrote:In 36 years in Jersey have been checked 5 times once by boat in the Delaware. Once by boat in Greenwood Lake in NY. . 4-5 times in NY State.

WD - do we just need our NJ saltwater registry to fish the salt in other states or do we need to buy licenses in those coastal states that sell them or from the free registry if they do that over a sold license if you know?

Rusty:
It depends on the State. There is some reciprocity among neighboring states, but not all. If you're not fishing on a charter or party boat, you'll want to go online and check the specific state in which you'll be fishing. chances are you'll need to register for that state.
Flyzlo

Postby Mickey022752 on April 25th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I've been checked for the past 3 Years....No. Branch, Muskie this past March and So Branch last week..
Mickey022752

Next

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing