Two trout on one cast

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Two trout on one cast

Postby the hawk on April 22nd, 2017, 8:07 pm

Yesterday I was drifting a tandem hares ear/copper john. Trout went for both nymphs at the same time. This is a first for me. I caught 2 sunnies on nymphs, but never trout. I did see a guy do that once. Anyone ever have that happen? Anyway, Friday was slow on the SBR. I got some on nymphs and some on an egg pattern. It poured for a while and the river was slightly off color. I didn't see any bugs coming off the water, no rising fish. The river was actually higher this week than last. All of the springs were flowing down the hills. More rain next coming next week.
the hawk

Re: Two trout on one cast

Postby johnw on April 23rd, 2017, 4:00 pm

It's happened to me a couple of times but it's usually while playing a fish another will be attracted by the activity and take the second fly.
johnw

Postby redietz on April 30th, 2017, 12:09 pm

johnw wrote:It's happened to me a couple of times but it's usually while playing a fish another will be attracted by the activity and take the second fly.

That seems to be the most common way I hook doubles.

I hook them somewhat regularly, but land them both less regulary -- usually lose one or both trying to figure out which one to net first.

I've also had the same fish take both flies. This has happened to be on several occasions. I can't figure what is in the fish's mind -- he's fighting for his life, and stops for snack?
Bob
redietz

Postby Twism86 on July 5th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Ive caught and landed a double twice. Once with stockies and another wild smaller wild fish. Always cool to see multiples coming in.
"Stupidity is scary, but genius is scarier.
Genius topples nations, genius built the atom bomb."
Twism86

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing