Rain, rain, rain

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Rain, rain, rain

Postby the hawk on May 14th, 2017, 7:16 pm

I fished the South Branch on Monday and Friday. There was a significant difference in the flow. The river dropped a lot. It looks like we got a lot of rain all over north jersey. We need this every week!! Anyway, still catching fish on nymphs. I saw a lot of caddis coming off the water in the Gorge Friday, but nothing rising to them. Is the water still to cold? It's going to get hot this week, maybe things will change. I'm catching fish, but not big numbers.
the hawk

Re: Rain, rain, rain

Postby alwaysfishing on May 16th, 2017, 9:50 am

Had family commitments so I didn't fish the 'Po this weekend. Not a big deal, the rain on Saturday killed it (but I really wish I could've hit it at daybreak Saturday, no rain yet and overcast). Went yesterday around 4:30 and it is high and dirty. Managed 2 fish, had to work for them. Windy and chilly. I think with this upcoming stretch of warm, nice weather that we should see a nice breakthrough with dries, finally. A decent amount of tan caddis were evident, but nymphs are still the way to go. However, as I said, I believe that will change very soon. No one fishing, the opening day crews have disappeared so looking forward to the next few weeks.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 16th, 2017, 4:14 pm

We should see a good to great spinner fall this evening. Get out late and stay until dark. You'll catch all you can handle on dries if you do. We should have various rusty spinners around as well as sulfur spinners tonight. I'm headed to an unstocked section of the SBR this evening after 5 when it reopens following today's stocking to find some sulfur action and later some spinner action on top.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby alwaysfishing on May 17th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Based on your success I'm taking your word for it. :D They stock the 'Po on Thursday so I'll be there tomorrow at 5 pm. I have been there when it when absolutely nuts on top so I am REALLY looking forward to that happening.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 17th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:We should see a good to great spinner fall this evening. Get out late and stay until dark. You'll catch all you can handle on dries if you do. We should have various rusty spinners around as well as sulfur spinners tonight. I'm headed to an unstocked section of the SBR this evening after 5 when it reopens following today's stocking to find some sulfur action and later some spinner action on top.

We did not have either the sulfur hatch nor big spinner fall yesterday that I so boldly predicted, but I did manage to find some heads poking up for the few bugs that were out. I fished from about 5:30 until dark and released a very nice brown and a few holdover rainbows, but it was the one I lost after a long fight on 4.5X (Trout Hunter's mid size tippet) that will haunt me. He took me through two boulder fields as if he knew every rock by name and nearly got me to my backing at one point which is exceptionally rare here in NJ. After a long fight, the hook pulled and I don't know which he took since I was dredging the very depths of Hell at the time (before any bugs hatching). It felt like a huge fish. But if it was a brown, he'll be back exactly where I found him tomorrow when I chase him again.

I'm off to a bass lake this evening to fish with a buddy I've known since I was 5 years old on a private lake he lives on. I'll post under the appropriate forum if we catch fish. I'm taking the 7 weight and tossing some articulated sex dungeons, frog colored Dahlberg divers, egg sucking leaches, and other streamers and top water bass bugs. And then tomorrow a run to the shore for some bluefish and striper fishing Friday and back home to trout for the weekend. Spring is great!
Rusty Spinner

Postby Flyzlo on May 18th, 2017, 7:44 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:We should see a good to great spinner fall this evening. Get out late and stay until dark. You'll catch all you can handle on dries if you do. We should have various rusty spinners around as well as sulfur spinners tonight. I'm headed to an unstocked section of the SBR this evening after 5 when it reopens following today's stocking to find some sulfur action and later some spinner action on top.

We did not have either the sulfur hatch nor big spinner fall yesterday that I so boldly predicted, but I did manage to find some heads poking up for the few bugs that were out. I fished from about 5:30 until dark and released a very nice brown and a few holdover rainbows, but it was the one I lost after a long fight on 4.5X (Trout Hunter's mid size tippet) that will haunt me. He took me through two boulder fields as if he knew every rock by name and nearly got me to my backing at one point which is exceptionally rare here in NJ. After a long fight, the hook pulled and I don't know which he took since I was dredging the very depths of Hell at the time (before any bugs hatching). It felt like a huge fish. But if it was a brown, he'll be back exactly where I found him tomorrow when I chase him again.

I'm off to a bass lake this evening to fish with a buddy I've known since I was 5 years old on a private lake he lives on. I'll post under the appropriate forum if we catch fish. I'm taking the 7 weight and tossing some articulated sex dungeons, frog colored Dahlberg divers, egg sucking leaches, and other streamers and top water bass bugs. And then tomorrow a run to the shore for some bluefish and striper fishing Friday and back home to trout for the weekend. Spring is great!

I won't say "too bad" you "lost" the brown, but more "congratulations" that you found him. Like you mention, he'll likely be right back in that lie waiting for next time. I played that game with a nice brown at the "W" club for a full season last year; I think I had a solid hook in him three different times, fought him long enough each time to confirm it was likely the same guy only to pull/throw the hook every time. I finally went down to my 3wgt when the water began to warm, hoping the softness may be a little more forgiving on the #18 spinner he'd only take, but that ended up back in my face after a short fight and was the last I'd seen of him. That was a season-long feud I had with that tough ol' guy and he was clearly the winner. As much as I'd have liked to have touched him, my memories are just as satisfying having just fooled and fought him. I hope your guy is still there for next time and not on the end of a chain stringer.
Flyzlo

Postby jim k on May 18th, 2017, 9:03 am

Brian,

I also was fishing "an unstocked section" of the SBR Tuesday night before I read this. I had reached the same conclusion as you - had to be a good hatch / spinner fall - but nothing much doing. Saw a few sulpurs right at dark. The pool I chose to fish has a lot of holover and wild fish - but I very rarely can get them to hit consistently unless they are rising to a hatch. They never seem to take nymphs when I fish them, I get an occasional take on streamers, but when there is a good hatch it can be epic. On Tuesday the fish were sporadically rising, some of them very aggressive, as if to emergers. But I saw very little on the water, or above it. I tried everything in the book without success. Not even a look. Toward dark they slowed down. I need to take up golf. Was Weds any better?

Jim
jim k

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 18th, 2017, 9:28 am

jim k wrote:Brian,

I also was fishing "an unstocked section" of the SBR Tuesday night before I read this. I had reached the same conclusion as you - had to be a good hatch / spinner fall - but nothing much doing. Saw a few sulpurs right at dark. The pool I chose to fish has a lot of holover and wild fish - but I very rarely can get them to hit consistently unless they are rising to a hatch. They never seem to take nymphs when I fish them, I get an occasional take on streamers, but when there is a good hatch it can be epic. On Tuesday the fish were sporadically rising, some of them very aggressive, as if to emergers. But I saw very little on the water, or above it. I tried everything in the book without success. Not even a look. Toward dark they slowed down. I need to take up golf. Was Weds any better?

Jim

I went bass fishing yesterday and killed them. Tonight I'm hoping to run down to LBI for the night and fish all day tomorrow for blues and stripers on another buddy's new 28' Boston Whaler. I won't trout fish again until this coming weekend. I also have some guide trips next week even though I've tried hard to cut back on trips, so I need to stay close to current conditions right now. Haven't heard yet about the SBR or Musky and yesterday's action on those rivers.
Rusty Spinner

Postby jim k on May 18th, 2017, 10:59 am

I walked down by the park in Califon last night right at dusk and no bugs or rises to be seen. Hatches in general on the SBR this year have been very disappointing, at least for me. No Hendricksons, a few caddis early in the year, and can't hit the sulphurs either. Might go out tonight again, we'll see.
jim k

Postby rollcast on May 18th, 2017, 7:23 pm

The weekend will be better, cooler and drier. Hatches should pop.
Dave

The power of fish compels you!
rollcast

Postby jim k on May 18th, 2017, 9:47 pm

There were some sulphurs and rising fish tonight right before dark on the SBR. Sadly I was walking the dog, not fishing and it was too late to run back for the rod.
jim k

Postby alwaysfishing on May 19th, 2017, 9:35 am

Didn't get to the 'Po but ran into a friend that did. Sulphurs. Fish rising. He had a stellar evening, more than he could count. With the cooler temps coming I'll be there next two days at daybreak and evening. Should be good, I hope....
alwaysfishing

Postby the hawk on May 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

I fished in Califon this morning. Everyone looked like they were catching fish. A lot of bait fisherman. For fly guys, nymphing was the way to go. Guys were using different patterns and all seemed to work. I caught my fish on tan caddis and RS2's. I only saw a few fish rise. There were more bugs on the water last week. Temps are cooling down tomorrow.
the hawk

Postby alwaysfishing on May 22nd, 2017, 10:03 am

All right, I have to vent. I fish the Ramapo at basically two areas that I know well, Glengray bridge and Bear Swamp bridge. I stay away from the "wall" which is the 287 bridge and the Ramapo Reservation area which is a huge lot and gets hikers, dog walkers and leaf watchers galore. However, since I fished my favorite spots all weekend long with good results, I decided to try the reservation stretch on Sunday morning.Too much pressure, but I thought if I got there early enough I'd be leaving when other guys were getting there. What a mistake. First, I see signs and arrows for some 5k "race" they were having. Next, the something "trail conservation" group is meeting with tents set up down the road, adjacent to the trails. I'm there at 6:30 and park, walk in and here is what I see. A dozen guys arm to arm below the bridge, one guy upstream. So, I walk the trail upstream below this guy (fishing bait), giving him ample room. I catch a few in a nice riffle on the far side. I move down and get a few more below a fallen tree. The guy above moves down and is in a good spot. Two meat fisherman using golf ball sized power bait walk in below this guy and move right into the hole he was fishing. And away they went. Words were exchanged, almost came to a fight. I butted in and told the two meatpackers they were wrong, it settled down and the single guy just left, shaking his head. I move downstream well below the dozen guys. I catch 2 more and I have had enough. Every single guy bait fishing had 6 on the dreaded metal stringer. Every one of them. I counted at least 72 fish that were now dead. I don't begrudge anybody for taking fish, but c'mon, man, how many friggin' trout can you eat? I was not a happy guy. This was abuse. Then, as I was leaving, 5 canoes come down the river! Right thru the fisherman. One of them hits the tree I fished below and almost capsizes. The fisherman are yelling and screaming. The 5k run people, about a thousand of them, are all over the place. What a zoo, what a disgrace (there was litter all over the pace). I am NEVER going back to that crap show ever again. I know you have to deal with it, but I never have seen such a circus when all I want is peace and quiet and release a few fish unharmed. Like I said, this was abuse and not worth my time. When I went to leave, one of the friggin' lycra pants runners parked so close to my door I had to get in on the passenger side. This is what gives NJ fishing a bad name. Thankfully they all say in one spot. I was one pissed off guy, to say the least.
alwaysfishing

Postby mbende on May 22nd, 2017, 10:43 am

alwaysfishing wrote:All right, I have to vent. I fish the Ramapo at basically two areas that I know well, Glengray bridge and Bear Swamp bridge. I stay away from the "wall" which is the 287 bridge and the Ramapo Reservation area which is a huge lot and gets hikers, dog walkers and leaf watchers galore. However, since I fished my favorite spots all weekend long with good results, I decided to try the reservation stretch on Sunday morning.Too much pressure, but I thought if I got there early enough I'd be leaving when other guys were getting there. What a mistake. First, I see signs and arrows for some 5k "race" they were having. Next, the something "trail conservation" group is meeting with tents set up down the road, adjacent to the trails. I'm there at 6:30 and park, walk in and here is what I see. A dozen guys arm to arm below the bridge, one guy upstream. So, I walk the trail upstream below this guy (fishing bait), giving him ample room. I catch a few in a nice riffle on the far side. I move down and get a few more below a fallen tree. The guy above moves down and is in a good spot. Two meat fisherman using golf ball sized power bait walk in below this guy and move right into the hole he was fishing. And away they went. Words were exchanged, almost came to a fight. I butted in and told the two meatpackers they were wrong, it settled down and the single guy just left, shaking his head. I move downstream well below the dozen guys. I catch 2 more and I have had enough. Every single guy bait fishing had 6 on the dreaded metal stringer. Every one of them. I counted at least 72 fish that were now dead. I don't begrudge anybody for taking fish, but c'mon, man, how many friggin' trout can you eat? I was not a happy guy. This was abuse. Then, as I was leaving, 5 canoes come down the river! Right thru the fisherman. One of them hits the tree I fished below and almost capsizes. The fisherman are yelling and screaming. The 5k run people, about a thousand of them, are all over the place. What a zoo, what a disgrace (there was litter all over the pace). I am NEVER going back to that crap show ever again. I know you have to deal with it, but I never have seen such a circus when all I want is peace and quiet and release a few fish unharmed. Like I said, this was abuse and not worth my time. When I went to leave, one of the friggin' lycra pants runners parked so close to my door I had to get in on the passenger side. This is what gives NJ fishing a bad name. Thankfully they all say in one spot. I was one pissed off guy, to say the least.

This is the punishment we get for living in this armpit state! All you needed was a bit of road rage on the way home and you would have had the triple crown of NJ residentship. Good thing the mail doesn't come on Sunday, you'll have to wait until Monday to find out that your taxes are going up. :x It's all about the quality of life...
oh just wait until some snowflake gets elected and bans fishing because fish need hugs too.
From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
~Edvard Munch
mbende

Postby Drossi on May 22nd, 2017, 5:48 pm

alwaysfishing wrote:All right, I have to vent. I fish the Ramapo at basically two areas that I know well, Glengray bridge and Bear Swamp bridge. I stay away from the "wall" which is the 287 bridge and the Ramapo Reservation area which is a huge lot and gets hikers, dog walkers and leaf watchers galore. However, since I fished my favorite spots all weekend long with good results, I decided to try the reservation stretch on Sunday morning.Too much pressure, but I thought if I got there early enough I'd be leaving when other guys were getting there. What a mistake. First, I see signs and arrows for some 5k "race" they were having. Next, the something "trail conservation" group is meeting with tents set up down the road, adjacent to the trails. I'm there at 6:30 and park, walk in and here is what I see. A dozen guys arm to arm below the bridge, one guy upstream. So, I walk the trail upstream below this guy (fishing bait), giving him ample room. I catch a few in a nice riffle on the far side. I move down and get a few more below a fallen tree. The guy above moves down and is in a good spot. Two meat fisherman using golf ball sized power bait walk in below this guy and move right into the hole he was fishing. And away they went. Words were exchanged, almost came to a fight. I butted in and told the two meatpackers they were wrong, it settled down and the single guy just left, shaking his head. I move downstream well below the dozen guys. I catch 2 more and I have had enough. Every single guy bait fishing had 6 on the dreaded metal stringer. Every one of them. I counted at least 72 fish that were now dead. I don't begrudge anybody for taking fish, but c'mon, man, how many friggin' trout can you eat? I was not a happy guy. This was abuse. Then, as I was leaving, 5 canoes come down the river! Right thru the fisherman. One of them hits the tree I fished below and almost capsizes. The fisherman are yelling and screaming. The 5k run people, about a thousand of them, are all over the place. What a zoo, what a disgrace (there was litter all over the pace). I am NEVER going back to that crap show ever again. I know you have to deal with it, but I never have seen such a circus when all I want is peace and quiet and release a few fish unharmed. Like I said, this was abuse and not worth my time. When I went to leave, one of the friggin' lycra pants runners parked so close to my door I had to get in on the passenger side. This is what gives NJ fishing a bad name. Thankfully they all say in one spot. I was one pissed off guy, to say the least.

Occupational hazard when fishing popular places such as this. Simple answer is to avoid those places, good for your stress level and overall experience. If you don't want to see people stay away from where you think they most likely will be. This is why I don't fish the glamour streams or the special regs areas. You also need to go when they aren't there. I got 4 rainbows in an hour last night and never saw another person. Some boot prints but that was it.
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby alwaysfishing on May 23rd, 2017, 9:13 am

Yes, I agree it's partially my fault for choosing to go there. I typically don't, but thought I would give it a try. Went to Glengray this morning, got 3 and saw no one. No more high traffic areas for me. I don't need to be a referee, coach or litter matron. It's a shame, really, that guys like us who respect nature and enjoy it are in the minority.
alwaysfishing

Postby Dale on May 23rd, 2017, 7:10 pm

alwaysfishing wrote:Yes, I agree it's partially my fault for choosing to go there. I typically don't, but thought I would give it a try. Went to Glengray this morning, got 3 and saw no one. No more high traffic areas for me. I don't need to be a referee, coach or litter matron. It's a shame, really, that guys like us who respect nature and enjoy it are in the minority.

I drive and hike to avoid anything remotely resembling a crowd. The most I encounter are footprints, and they are usually made by a deer.
Dale

Postby BiggerThomas on May 24th, 2017, 7:09 am

Dale wrote:
alwaysfishing wrote:Yes, I agree it's partially my fault for choosing to go there. I typically don't, but thought I would give it a try. Went to Glengray this morning, got 3 and saw no one. No more high traffic areas for me. I don't need to be a referee, coach or litter matron. It's a shame, really, that guys like us who respect nature and enjoy it are in the minority.

I drive and hike to avoid anything remotely resembling a crowd. The most I encounter are footprints, and they are usually made by a deer.

Or by NJ Angler. :)
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 25th, 2017, 9:22 am

More spring rains today. We need it still and very much. In between each rain this spring, we've watched the flows fall below normal which means groundwater is still low. But we seem to be having a normal spring which to many seems to be a wet spring since we're not used to rain the last several years.
Rusty Spinner

Next

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing