No Brookies or Browns EVER?

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

No Brookies or Browns EVER?

Postby beadhead on May 18th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Is this true?
beadhead

Re: No Brookies or Browns EVER?

Postby vance on May 18th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Bead head, Talk to Rusty Spinner. He said 2019 or maybe 2020. I'm heading for the Catskills for two weeks in June. At least they have Big Browns up there. I just don't want it to rain up there and get blown off the river. Bill the mailman
vance

Postby Drossi on May 18th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Never say never but I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting either. Go stalk and catch the wild ones, the truth is out there.....X
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby rollcast on May 18th, 2017, 7:18 pm

There are plenty of wild ones and holdovers, don't fret about stockies. 20" South Branch RR brownie. Caught a 28" holdover once, too. Have caught wild brookies up to 14".

Dave

The power of fish compels you!
rollcast

Postby Swissbill on May 20th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Here is a recent quote from the folks at the Freshwater Fisheries Section at the NJ DEP. This was a response to my question as to whether or not Browns or Brookies will ever be stocked again in the future:

"It is amazing what you here from time to time. But for the record there has been no discussions, nor decisions made as to what will or won't be raised at the Pequest Hatchery in the future. Right now we are focused on keeping the hatchery disease free, and working towards getting the raceways covered.

We do know trout anglers prefer to have some diversity to the fishing opportunities and no doubt that will be kept in mind but for the moment it is way too soon to have those discussions as we have no idea what the immediate future may yield.

Although this is not a precise answer do hope it helps - mostly you can be assured that any conjectures you hear about what we will be or won't be raising at Pequest is simply conjecture. There have been absolutely no discussions on the subject."

IN SHORT: the answer to your questions is "It's an unknown at this point in time".

Hope this helps.
If there is no trout in heaven I am not going.
Swissbill

Postby nutleysigns on May 21st, 2017, 11:55 am

thank you
nutleysigns

Postby Drossi on May 21st, 2017, 5:01 pm

Swissbill wrote:Here is a recent quote from the folks at the Freshwater Fisheries Section at the NJ DEP. This was a response to my question as to whether or not Browns or Brookies will ever be stocked again in the future:

"It is amazing what you here from time to time. But for the record there has been no discussions, nor decisions made as to what will or won't be raised at the Pequest Hatchery in the future. Right now we are focused on keeping the hatchery disease free, and working towards getting the raceways covered.

We do know trout anglers prefer to have some diversity to the fishing opportunities and no doubt that will be kept in mind but for the moment it is way too soon to have those discussions as we have no idea what the immediate future may yield.

Although this is not a precise answer do hope it helps - mostly you can be assured that any conjectures you hear about what we will be or won't be raising at Pequest is simply conjecture. There have been absolutely no discussions on the subject."

IN SHORT: the answer to your questions is "It's an unknown at this point in time".

Hope this helps.

As in don't hold your breathe...(see my post above)
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby martalus on May 22nd, 2017, 9:06 am

Rollcast-that's a hell of a brownie! Did you catch him after dark on a big ol' mouse pattern and a 20 lb mono leader?? That things a beast! How much did it weigh and how was the fight?
martalus

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing