Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah 5-26-17

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah 5-26-17

Postby BiggerThomas on May 27th, 2017, 6:46 am

My sons and I were off yesterday so we took some time to explore an area I'd travelled through many times but never actually been to.

While we didn't do any fishing, I did notice a nice section of the Ramapo River running through the reservation that's been mentioned here recently.

If you go, watch out for snakes--we saw two yesterday.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Re: Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah 5-26-17

Postby Pete on May 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

That spot is my lowest priority for the Ramapo. It's only virtue is plenty of parking.
Try (from north to south) Halifax Road, Glen Gray Road, Lakeshore Drive, Roosevelt Field, and West Oakland Ave.

Also Patriots Way, and Bear Swamp Road BUT....
The Partiots Way parking lot is not open to the general public, but it's an easy hike downstream from Glen Gray.
Watch out for inconspicuous "no parking" signs on Route 202, and don't even think about parking on Bear Swamp Road.
The Bear Swamp area is a moderate difficulty hike from Ramapo Reservation, you might not want to do it in waders.

Yes, lots of big ill tempered water snakes.
I was once very amused watching one follow around a guy with a stringer, trying to steal his fish.
Pete

Postby alwaysfishing on May 30th, 2017, 9:44 am

On the subject of "watch out for snakes" it reminded me of an interesting event with wildlife that took place on the Ramapo this weekend. I was fishing above Glen Gray bridge, at the split about 200 yards upstream from the bridge. Fast riffle that pours into a decent pool. The bank is gravel and gradual, so I was standing in knee deep water. Hooked and landed a nice rainbow. Knelt down (I don't use a net) to release this fish. As I released him I felt something bump into my left leg. I turned, and a snapping turtle the size of a garbage can lid was up against me. Thing actually had his right front foot on top of mine. I didn't move, he casually pushed off and ambled downstream in the low water to a log about 20 yards downstream. I've seen a number of them on this river, but never so close an encounter. All good, they are not aggressive, but it did scare the crap out of me for a few seconds.....
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 30th, 2017, 9:47 am

I read this as Ramapo "Restoration". Shows how I have a one track mind. :)

Looks on that front as the winning bidder has finally submitted their DEP permit application to restore the 'Po in Oakland. Now let's see if they can get the permit this year although I doubt it due to freshwater mussels that need to be surveyed as they are state threatened mussels. Then the mussel survey will lead to design changes which will amend their application and you can expect more and more delays.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby the hawk on May 30th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Funny you mention snapping turtles. Friday I was fishing a small stream for wild browns when I looked down, a large snapping turtle had his head out of the water and was staring at me only about 3 feet away. For a second it scared the heck out of me. Then he just swam away.
the hawk

Postby alwaysfishing on May 30th, 2017, 1:15 pm

the hawk wrote:Funny you mention snapping turtles. Friday I was fishing a small stream for wild browns when I looked down, a large snapping turtle had his head out of the water and was staring at me only about 3 feet away. For a second it scared the heck out of me. Then he just swam away.

Yeah, they don't bother you but they definitely startle you when they magically appear. Pretty stealth creatures for their size, no doubt.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby BiggerThomas on June 1st, 2017, 12:44 pm

I'm just curious: do snapping turtles prefer one type of trout over others?
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby alwaysfishing on June 2nd, 2017, 10:11 am

I'm assuming this is a serious question. ;) A snapping turtle is both a predator and a scavenger. I managed the water and wildlife for a lake I lived on I Ringwood and handled water treatment, stocking, etc. Part of my "job" there was to remove snappers that grew to unacceptable sizes. I caught a dozen garbage can lid size and larger turtles, releasing them into Monksville Reservoir. I spent a lot of time observing and catching these creatures. I saw them move into shallow water and devour dead fish lying on the bottom. I saw one take a baby duck that swam overhead. I saw two of them parked at the spillway hammering herring as they swam by. They are truly amazing creatures, good swimmers and opportunistic feeders.
So, to answer your question I don't think they have a preference. If it has fins and is in front of their jaws, they'll eat it.
alwaysfishing

Postby BiggerThomas on June 3rd, 2017, 12:57 pm

It was a serious question. But I've learned some great things through the silliest of serious questions :)
_BIGGER_

BiggerThomas

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 5th, 2017, 8:59 am

BiggerThomas wrote:I'm just curious: do snapping turtles prefer one type of trout over others?

Yes, they prefer greenback cutthroat trout between 9" and 11" in length. :lol:
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby barkeater on June 5th, 2017, 9:17 pm

I heard they ate the Cuttyrainbrowns into near extinction. :lol:
barkeater

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing