Catch-A-Lure?

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Catch-A-Lure?

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 31st, 2017, 1:47 pm

Anyone own one? I met the inventor and he often now attends our RVTU chapter meetings at Pequest at 7:30 pm the third Thursday of the month (shameless plug!) :lol:

I was skeptical when he first reached out and we talked on the phone where he described this tool. But I let him attend a River Watcher stream monitoring day on the Musky as he wants to help volunteer in the future with our two teams, and he pulled out his Catch-A-Lure and showed us how it works. I was blown away. Not just surprised, but blown away that nobody had ever made anything like it that is so well functioning. If it saves 10 flies or less, it payed for itself. That's a good return on investment as I've seen many of you fish :shock: :lol:

I recently noticed that Shannon's is selling them. Check them out.
Catch-A-Lure photo.jpg
Catch-A-Lure photo.jpg (113.19 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

Some of the ugly flies I rescued the poor fish from :D
flies cut from tree.jpg
flies cut from tree.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

There is virtually no effort to cut the line and the fly remains stuck to the C-A-L by a strong magnet as you lower your rod tip. Also, the owner is a really nice guy. Glad to get to know him.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: Catch-A-Lure?

Postby Flyzlo on June 6th, 2017, 7:43 am

I ran to Shannon's on Sunday AM for hooks and some caribou.....and to check out this new wonder tool. Jerry slaps one on the counter and we both shared the same skeptical first reaction. I told him Brian recommended it which somehow made it more acceptable; but we both agreed about some hesitation using it on the end of a $700 flyrod. Nonetheless, I plop down my $19.95 plus the cost for the hooks and fur and head directly to the Musky. I had an extendable paint pole in the truck, so my thought was to hit this very popular beat where a high overhead marker cable was decorated with assorted hooks, lures and flies. I used some duct tape and with the pole extended about 12 feet was able to reach the tackle store in the sky. It's not exactly the recommended application, but a flyrod would have been too short. The net result for about 10 minutes on the paint pole: 3 Mepps, 1 CP swing, 4 Roostertails, 1 Rapala, 3 Fire Tigers, a couple of jigs, a few poorly tied flies and a couple of unidentifiable "lures" (I think they're the one's on TV that are guaranteed super fish magnets). It worked as advertised. Very simple and effective. I can't tell you how long it would take me to re-coupe $19.95 using it strictly for retrieving my own flies, but it was a score for cleaning up that cable. Like most of you reading this,you may ask " how many flies do I really lose to the trees?" Not that I don't put them up there on a regular basis, but usually with a little finesse they'll come out without any wonder tool. But this worked so well I've added it to my already overstuffed vest. Based on the retail cost of my first take I think I'm well ahead on a financial basis - just as long as I don't break the tip off my $700 flyrod.
Flyzlo

Postby MR.MCR on June 6th, 2017, 10:17 am

I use to have an overstuffed vest and someone took a picture and boy did I get ripped into....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby mbende on June 6th, 2017, 3:33 pm

You could always walk around and wait for the spin casters to get snagged overhead and offer your "retrieval services"... :P
From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
~Edvard Munch
mbende

Postby Flyzlo on June 7th, 2017, 7:43 am

MR.MCR wrote:I use to have an overstuffed vest and someone took a picture and boy did I get ripped into....

MR.MCR:
I've been trying to go "mimimalist" for years, both to avoid the ridicule as well and also saving my back - but with little success. Gone are the days of carrying 3 stages of flies with any possible hatching activity in three different hues and two different sizes. I literally still have stuff I tied in the 1980's that have never been wet.They stay home now. So to avoid the "Michelin man" look, my fly selection is mostly down to the more impressionistic, rather than exact. Except for a few. I probably cut the number of flies I carry by at least 50%. I don't carry anything I don't need.....that's the problem. I need three different kinds of floatant, desiccant, and a spare lighter(in addition to my primary lighter that stays with today's cigars). I need four spools of tippet, two small shot dispensers, nippers and forceps. I need my thermometer, cheater glasses, sun glasses, sun block, bug stuff and a couple of new leaders. Also , I can't put my caddis patterns in with my mayfly patterns and of course who would put their streamers in with anything else so I have to carry 4 or 5 fly boxes. I have jettisoned the stomach pump but kept my hand skimmer - its great when you can't see what they're taking. For safety sake I keep a very small first aid box with a band aid or two and a small tube of first aid cream. Of course there's also a few Dunkin Donuts napkins stashed for "emergencies" as well. I leave my sulphurs home in November but carry stones all year. I clean my vest out every March when the season closes, so I know exactly what's in there. I edit out any unused stuff. But those stupid catalogs, blogs, "sport" shows and recommendations from guys like Brian just make me add more stuff. Like this wonder tool. I hate walking around like a 4 year old in a snow suit. Seems peculiar, but when I wet wade in summer months I carry one small box in my shirt and I catch fish, when I fish for salmon I can fit everything in my wader pocket and I catch fish, and when I fish the salt I have one box in my shirt pocket and I catch fish....mmmm
Flyzlo

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 7th, 2017, 9:51 am

MR.MCR wrote:I use to have an overstuffed vest and someone took a picture and boy did I get ripped into....

The infamous "Cat Vest" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby MR.MCR on June 8th, 2017, 4:39 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:

The infamous "Cat Vest" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not the cat fur lined vest but a regular vest that Bill H had taken a picture of me wearing and it was stuffed....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby Twism86 on July 5th, 2017, 4:01 pm

A pink trout magnet, blasphemy!
"Stupidity is scary, but genius is scarier.
Genius topples nations, genius built the atom bomb."
Twism86

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing