Lower Raritan Fingerling Stocking

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Lower Raritan Fingerling Stocking

Postby WadeDeeper on June 8th, 2017, 8:22 am

Saw in the paper today that 42,000?! fingerling rainbows were stocked in the Lower Raritan in Piscataway? Surplus for the spring 2018. Are these fish supposed to go our to sea or something?
WadeDeeper

Re: Lower Raritan Fingerling Stocking

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 8th, 2017, 10:02 am

WadeDeeper wrote:Saw in the paper today that 42,000?! fingerling rainbows were stocked in the Lower Raritan in Piscataway? Surplus for the spring 2018. Are these fish supposed to go our to sea or something?

Nobody seems to know why they weren't stocked into Trout Maintenance (TM) waters like the Division normally does. I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know it. Striped bass and smallmouth bass food now!
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby alwaysfishing on June 8th, 2017, 11:49 am

I may have mentioned this before, but my memory is fading, so I apologize if its a repeat. A few years back, in fact when the disease at the hatchery was first announced, a friend of mine saw a hatchery truck dumping fish into the Passaic River. He said the dumped an entire truckload into the river, then found out afterwards that there was a disease.
This is pretty scary in that they deposited infected fish into a waterway (if you can call the Passaic River a waterway) but it makes me wonder about the overall integrity of the hatchery. I've witnessed the stocking truck stop on Rt. 287 and dump fish from the bridge 30 feet into low water, and I'm not accusing them of wrongdoing, but unannounced stockings make me wonder.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 8th, 2017, 12:41 pm

alwaysfishing wrote:I may have mentioned this before, but my memory is fading, so I apologize if its a repeat. A few years back, in fact when the disease at the hatchery was first announced, a friend of mine saw a hatchery truck dumping fish into the Passaic River. He said the dumped an entire truckload into the river, then found out afterwards that there was a disease.
This is pretty scary in that they deposited infected fish into a waterway (if you can call the Passaic River a waterway) but it makes me wonder about the overall integrity of the hatchery. I've witnessed the stocking truck stop on Rt. 287 and dump fish from the bridge 30 feet into low water, and I'm not accusing them of wrongdoing, but unannounced stockings make me wonder.

A few things......furunculosis occurs naturally in our rivers and streams and is only really a problem in a hatchery setting. The fish dump in the Passaic and lower Raritan were done out of an abundance of caution at the time when the powers that be decided not to stock the infected browns and brookies but rather either kill them outright or stock them into non trout (NT) waters. PA and other states' fisheries divisions told NJ they were crazy not to just stock them all as normal since many hatcheries experience furunculosis on a regular basis. They suggested just feeding medicated feed and stocking them. NJ went another route. Unannounced stockings are routine in years where Pequest has excess fish because they simply don't have room in the hatchery, but these are most often stocked in TM waters like the Musky. What is odd is that the Division made an announcement about these particular rainbow fingerlings being stocked in NT waters.
Rusty Spinner

Postby johnw on June 9th, 2017, 9:20 am

This area might be NT water but I do know that trout do exist in this area and some are unusually large ones. Presumably these fish are originally stockies from upstream. My guess is the division is attempting to expand on the existing population.
johnw

Postby martalus on June 9th, 2017, 10:56 am

Could start a sea run population right along the stripers or just become striper food.
martalus

Postby BiggerThomas on June 11th, 2017, 9:20 pm

alwaysfishing wrote: I've witnessed the stocking truck stop on Rt. 287 and dump fish from the bridge 30 feet into low water

JERSEY
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Dave B. on June 12th, 2017, 12:23 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
alwaysfishing wrote: I've witnessed the stocking truck stop on Rt. 287 and dump fish from the bridge 30 feet into low water

JERSEY

Not for nothing but in NY's remote Adirondack mountain ponds they drop brookies from helicopters well above the lake surfaces.
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 12th, 2017, 8:54 am

Dave B. wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:

JERSEY

Not for nothing but in NY's remote Adirondack mountain ponds they drop brookies from helicopters well above the lake surfaces.

Exactly. And I've told this story many times here over the years, my father used to air drop rainbow trout into remote Sierra Nevada ponds and lakes via a Cessna airplane flying just over stall speed.
Rusty Spinner

Postby BiggerThomas on June 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Dave B. wrote:
BiggerThomas wrote:

JERSEY

Oh, I'm aware of aerial stocking.

It was more the language, not the concept that smacked of Jerz. In any case, don't forget to pinch down 'them barbs or else those trout will *really* get hurt :roll: :lol:
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby JeffK on June 13th, 2017, 10:10 am

Back in the furunculosis days, the hatchery treated fish that tested positive with antibiotics. The ones that tested negative after treatment were stocked in NT waters; the ones that still tested positive were destroyed. The ones that were stocked in trout streams were in raceways that never showed any signs of disease. That was a pretty conservative response.

Anyone who complains about high velocity throwing or dropping of stocked trout should help stocking. Those fish that hit the water hard get shocked into life right away. There is always someone who never stocked before and gently places the bucket in the water - and sees many of the fish drift away belly up. Most of these do come around some time, hopefully before some critter grabs them.
JeffK

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing