TO DAMN HOT

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

TO DAMN HOT

Postby barkeater on July 20th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I'm having trout fishing withdrawal. Pond fishing for bass just doesn't do it for me.
barkeater

Re: TO DAMN HOT

Postby Rusty Spinner on July 20th, 2017, 5:22 pm

barkeater wrote:I'm having trout fishing withdrawal. Pond fishing for bass just doesn't do it for me.

I hear you. This year so far is the least I've fished in my life by far. Starting a new business is a fishing and hunting killer unfortunately, but it has its other benefits that will all pay off in the end. I promised myself to fish the WBD a lot and never did even though I tried. I spend 8 nights in cabins at Dreamcatcher Lodge on two separate occasions only to have that river totally blown out for wading and me without a boat to float it. But now that projects are firmly in the pipeline and we're starting our own river restoration projects, things should relax by fall.

Big T-storms headed our way this evening, at least or so it looks for my area. That always helps although it will runoff sweltering hot roads and rooftops before it hits the river.......
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Dale on July 20th, 2017, 5:25 pm

barkeater wrote:I'm having trout fishing withdrawal. Pond fishing for bass just doesn't do it for me.

Doesn't do it for me either. I hop in my car and head north. Fished the Berkshires a week or two ago. Water was nice and cold. Going back on the 6th. Hope that conditions are still good.
Dale

Postby bigfishy on July 20th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Sounds as if ur not hitting the right pponds or your timing is off....Think early and late just like you would fer semi warm trouting
bigfishy

Postby Flyzlo on July 21st, 2017, 7:12 am

Getting to be that time of year. Water too low, temps too high to stress the fish with a hook. Been wet wading for weeks now. Used to hit the WBD and Main branch but it got too crowded for me. I'll give Musky and SBR another couple of weeks depending on the weather, then turn my attention toward salmon/steelhead. We had 1.1" last night (Thursday eve), the Musky got some of it so I'll give it a shot tomorrow before the sun gets too high. Just another typical July/August for cold water guys. Hang in there.
Flyzlo

Postby Drossi on July 21st, 2017, 12:40 pm

Time for me to hit the D. For "bronze trout"
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby BiggerThomas on July 22nd, 2017, 7:54 pm

When the weather is not conducive to trout fishing, I head to the basement and tie. I'm working on a new fly called "Which Exit?" I'd like to eventually market it as a fly exclusively from NJ. It's made of trash, oil, Styrofoam, and old cigarette butts. Its buoyancy is actually remarkable.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby martalus on July 24th, 2017, 9:26 am

By the radar, it looks like trout country just got pummeled with rain with air temps in the low 60s. Also today and tomorrow should top out in the low 70s, so that should give the trout a short respite from the heat and low water stress.
martalus

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing