Hope someones fishing

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Hope someones fishing

Postby MR.MCR on September 9th, 2017, 7:19 am

The weather of late is very conducive to fishing.....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Re: Hope someones fishing

Postby Rusty Spinner on September 10th, 2017, 12:27 pm

MR.MCR wrote:The weather of late is very conducive to fishing.....

This site is deader than Jimmy Hoffa. I hate it when I come on after a few days and all the last posts were mine. Nobody wants to contribute anymore to fishing forums. It's all about Facebook. We get lots of tire kickers, but nobody that will take the next step and type things or add photos. Fishing for trout has been very good all summer on most days. We really only had a couple of weeks of water that was too warm all summer.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Pete on September 10th, 2017, 1:56 pm

At NEFF, the "shoutbox" sometimes seems to get more action than the main forum.
It may be more comparable with the Facebook generation.
There is a shoutbox for the phpBB ...

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _shoutbox/
Pete

Postby Rusty Spinner on September 10th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Pete wrote:At NEFF, the "shoutbox" sometimes seems to get more action than the main forum.
It may be more comparable with the Facebook generation.
There is a shoutbox for the phpBB ...

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _shoutbox/

Pete, I find it somewhat amusing how many people reach out to me or talk to me in person lamenting about the lack of posts anymore on GST or NEFF and not one of them bothers to post themselves, they just want to read comments from others. For those of us "others", I know I grow tired of writing about my experiences and want to do some reading about the other's experiences. Folks here wonder why great posters like NJ Angler don't bother anymore and that is likely the reason. We need more contribution to grow and sustain the sport, but we are getting less and less instead.

Tomorrow I get to restore a section of the Capoolong Creek in Pittstown, a wild brown trout stream that also gets stocked with Pequest bows. At least I get to play with the fish for a few days....
Rusty Spinner

Postby BiggerThomas on September 11th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how license sales are doing these days?
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Razorbacker on September 11th, 2017, 8:12 pm

I got out today on the Flatbrook after a couple of morning meetings that took longer than planned. I didn't start fishing until about 1:30,but I picked up a couple of nice chunky rainbows on EHC in pocket water in the C&R stretch above the big pool. I ran across a guy who had just caught is 15th, so the action was good.
Razorbacker

Postby Dave B. on September 12th, 2017, 12:02 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tomorrow I get to restore a section of the Capoolong Creek in Pittstown, a wild brown trout stream that also gets stocked with Pequest bows. At least I get to play with the fish for a few days....

Glad to hear you're finally getting the opportunity to move forward on that project! I've been patiently waiting to hear this news! Hopefully you'll be able to post up a few pics as it progresses.

As for fishing, I made it out the weekend before Labor Day for a 3 day jaunt. Sat on the Bushkill (Pike/Monroe Co. border) produced a fair number of holdover browns and 'bows. Sun was a run up to the WBD for a great time with the wild browns and 'bows up there, fish up to 18/19 inches but no monsters. Mon was the BFB in various sections with limited success due to the low, gin clear water, blue skies and bright sunshine, followed by a stop at the Lebanon labs for a visit with our biologists for a while. Overall a great extended weekend!
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Postby barkeater on September 12th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Hit the SBR today. first time I'd been out since mid August. Fished noon to 4 all dry fly as I have a new dry fly rod I'd been wanting to use. Landed 4, 3 rainbows and one brown. Largest 2 rainbows good size 20" as I had to fold them to get them into my 17" net. All C&R so they are still out there. Fish look like they are starting to beef up for winter. There were a lot of fish rising mid-day. Caught fish on small Adams and small grey body EHC tied in Solomon style which I prefer. We should have more than a month of dry fly action left.
barkeater

Postby barkeater on September 15th, 2017, 9:48 am

Fished the same water yesterday that I fished Tuesday. While on Tuesday there were rises all day even though I could not see many bugs. Yesterday there were practically no rises again without any significant bugs visible. Was it that the water was 2 degrees warmer or the bugs I couldn't see (? midges) were not coming off? Yesterday was cloudier which should have been in my favor. I did manage a brown and a rainbow but had to work for them. Oh well, as the saying goes "That's why they call it fishing and not catching".
barkeater

Postby the hawk on September 15th, 2017, 4:51 pm

I fished the SBR this morning, then the KLG for a while. I got 1 brown that was pretty big, but nothing else. I tried all of the usual nymphs, nothing. If my strike indicator had a hook, I would have had a banner day. I was supprised how low the water was since we had more rain this summer than the last few years. Water was 66 degrees. Still nice to get out again.
the hawk

Postby MaCe1 on September 16th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I fished the Musky this morning, managed one rainbow on a hares ear. Water/flows looked good, just couldn't find them.
MaCe1

Postby martalus on September 17th, 2017, 11:18 am

I have had some nice days on that stream in the past and caught some good sized wild browns (15-18 inch range) as well as stocker rainbows and brookies when they still stocked them. I did a few opening days there about 10 years ago! Also fished one spring influenced area a lot around Christmas time. The stream was hit or miss sometimes and I could never put my finger on why. Which part did you work on what kind of work?
martalus

Postby Rusty Spinner on September 18th, 2017, 8:20 am

martalus wrote:

I have had some nice days on that stream in the past and caught some good sized wild browns (15-18 inch range) as well as stocker rainbows and brookies when they still stocked them. I did a few opening days there about 10 years ago! Also fished one spring influenced area a lot around Christmas time. The stream was hit or miss sometimes and I could never put my finger on why. Which part did you work on what kind of work?

We restored a badly eroded bank that has an old railroad bed trail popular with hikers, hunters, anglers, dog walkers, and horse back riders. The bank was failing badly, hence the Division got a trails grant to hire someone qualified (we won the invite bid) to restore the bank and arrest the erosion. We also had to repair any marks we made as a result of having to run the boulders upstream in a front end loader to feed our excavator which we did on our way out. It is planted and now awaits some warm, sunny growing days before fall and then winter sets in hard. I'll resize some photos and put them in the Conservation forum later this morning.
Rusty Spinner

Postby martalus on September 18th, 2017, 9:28 am

Glad to see the stream is getting some love! It's a pretty area and decent fishing.
martalus

Postby Rusty Spinner on September 18th, 2017, 1:41 pm

martalus wrote:Glad to see the stream is getting some love! It's a pretty area and decent fishing.

I'm somewhat nervously watching the big storms in the Atlantic because I doubt this bank can withstand too much rain without any root mass whatsoever and very few fines to hold it all together. I like a few months of growth of our plantings and some settling into place to happen before big flow events if at all possible. But we can't control Mother Nature.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Flyzlo on September 20th, 2017, 7:18 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
martalus wrote:Glad to see the stream is getting some love! It's a pretty area and decent fishing.

I'm somewhat nervously watching the big storms in the Atlantic because I doubt this bank can withstand too much rain without any root mass whatsoever and very few fines to hold it all together. I like a few months of growth of our plantings and some settling into place to happen before big flow events if at all possible. But we can't control Mother Nature.

Looks like we dodged a Jose deluge yesterday, so your bank work is safe - for now. NOAA forecast is dry through Tuesday. It'd be nice to get a few spritzes for the ground water and the resto work. Streams are back to summer-like levels. Musky is low and gin clear, weeds are bright green, very pretty to see, but lousy for the trout. The few fish that the birds haven't gotten to are hunkered down in any depth they can find.
Flyzlo

Postby JeffK on September 21st, 2017, 10:49 am

Haven't been fishing that much this summer since I'm getting married in two weeks, building a house, working part time, and helping with a newborn grand-daughter. However, I got out twice last week.

I have been hearing good reports for the Brodhead so I spent an afternoon/evening there. Flying ants were thick as i have ever seen them and some midges, caddis, and hebes were bringing fish to the top. Water was low and clear so needed a great presentation and I was a little rusty, but after a while I hooked up and was surprised to see it was a tiny smallmouth. After the ice was broken it was non-stop dry fly action - for smallmouth of average size. Biggest was a 13" fish on an 18 rusty spinner. Nothing huge, but all were good fighters and many were jumpers. Saw some trout rising from the bank by the ballfields, but didn't hook any.

Next I decided to stay local and hit the Pequest. The big rainbows come back to the TCA in September (as early as 9/7 one year) so it should have been time. Did spook one spawner and saw a few redds, but it was not game on. I haven't seen any fish in the raceway yet. After giving up on the usually deadly egg pattern below the redds pattern (did get a couple though) it was decent fishing for hold-over bows on midges and was the first good trout fishing I have had after the summer. The hold-over fish are about 12" now and are in fine shape.
JeffK

Postby johnw on September 23rd, 2017, 2:10 pm

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and the grand daughter, house etc.- sounds like you've got a full plate going there Jeff.
johnw

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing