beyond bows

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

beyond bows

Postby RobTF on October 2nd, 2017, 10:57 am

so, what is the prospect of NJ ever stocking browns and brooks again?

I haven't been following.....
RobTF

Re: beyond bows

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 2nd, 2017, 12:51 pm

RobTF wrote:so, what is the prospect of NJ ever stocking browns and brooks again?

I haven't been following.....

They can't begin to plan for reintroduction of another species until Pequest raceways are covered and have solar panels on them which is another year or two away. After that, if they can determine furunculosis is out of the hatchery - and there is no guarantee they can - then they could begin experimentally raising browns first. They may never raise brook trout again, instead preferring to manage their shrinking wild/native brookies and not stock that species. Or, they may raise brookies again, but only stock them in waters that do not have connections to wild brook trout waters. Too soon to know. First is covering the raceways, and politics got involved when other state agencies like the State Police jumped in front of Fish & Wildlife on the solar panel list, delaying changes at Pequest as a result.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby RobTF on October 2nd, 2017, 1:01 pm

Thanks, Brian. Wish I could build my own hatchery. We almost had a line on conny brookies for the shore streams until they contracted the disease. Then Pequest. (yeah, mixing story lines here... the mind gets random as it ages)

I'll take either as I always had more success than with bows (yeah, believe it or not). Maybe I understand brookies and browns more. Brookies go to cover, browns love low light. Crazy bows go anywhere and never where I'm fishing.
RobTF

Postby martalus on October 3rd, 2017, 9:30 am

Is there any chance that heritage strain brookies could be bred and restocked, if even by a private hatchery?
martalus

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 5th, 2017, 5:24 pm

martalus wrote:Is there any chance that heritage strain brookies could be bred and restocked, if even by a private hatchery?

'Theoretically, yes. But nobody would purchase them as our average Heritage fish is only less than 10". Once they aren't economically viable, there's no need to raise them. Relocation is a better bet with native fish, especially from within the same watershed. NJ is getting more and more sophisticated in the area of protecting our native fish, especially brook trout, and they should be commended. Look for the new regulations draft out there for public comment. It is impressive where trout is concerned. We (as in TU) strongly support these proposed regulations changes.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing