Local Fall Trout fishing update

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Local Fall Trout fishing update

Postby Flyzlo on October 9th, 2017, 11:40 am

Took a walk along the Musky Saturday around lunch time. High noon, mostly sunny, low expectations. Water was low as expected (65CFS), lots of aquatic weeds, otherwise gin clear. A fair amount of fallen leaves starting to suspend in the column but otherwise fishable. Saw one rise and a couple of dead ones on the bottom, looked like bird damage. Water temps felt cool, maybe low 60's (lost my thermometer haven't replaced it yet). Was pleasantly surprised to find a fair number of active fish. All rainbows, very willing to take October Caddis Euro style pupa, 6x tippet (thanks Tim Flagler). Swung greased line style, occasional twitch at the tail end of the swing. Some nice fatties, looked healthy, fought hard and released in great shape. Hopefully we get decent rain this week. Time to get out there.
Flyzlo

Re: Local Fall Trout fishing update

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 9th, 2017, 11:59 am

Flyzlo wrote:Took a walk along the Musky Saturday around lunch time. High noon, mostly sunny, low expectations. Water was low as expected (65CFS), lots of aquatic weeds, otherwise gin clear. A fair amount of fallen leaves starting to suspend in the column but otherwise fishable. Saw one rise and a couple of dead ones on the bottom, looked like bird damage. Water temps felt cool, maybe low 60's (lost my thermometer haven't replaced it yet). Was pleasantly surprised to find a fair number of active fish. All rainbows, very willing to take October Caddis Euro style pupa, 6x tippet (thanks Tim Flagler). Swung greased line style, occasional twitch at the tail end of the swing. Some nice fatties, looked healthy, fought hard and released in great shape. Hopefully we get decent rain this week. Time to get out there.

I guided two of my favorite clients, a father and son doctor team, on Friday on the Musky. They come down from CT every year to fish with me even though I no longer really guide anymore. Fishing was tough, but they managed several big fish and a few smaller ones each. We had to work for them and when they showed some interest in the chase, we switched over to streamers which they ate better than anything else. Good to see flows increasing today with the rains and more rain to come this week. I took temps at high noon and the river was 65.4 degrees, so much warmer than it should be in October, yet cool enough to safely fish.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Castaway on October 10th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing. I’m going to take my two kids tomorrow after school. Hopefully we can find a few.....
Castaway

Postby Flyzlo on October 16th, 2017, 7:38 am

Musky update 10/15- Levels still low, around 75CFS. Fished Saturday and Sunday each day for just a couple of hours in the AM. Water temp unknown (ordered a Kintrex thermo, thanks Rusty Spinner) probably low 60's. Both days overcast, low steady air pressure, air temps ~70's. Water gin clear, more leaves falling. Leaves evident now on the bottom as well as suspended in the column and newly fallen floaters - so they're everywhere - but still very fishable if you can deal with cleaning your fly every other cast. Earlier in the morning the October Caddis were around the riffles. No other fly activity noticed. Got skunked down in Finnesville area. Mature male eagle came through, one of the bigger ones I've seen (they're all big, but this guy was a monster). I'm wondering if his activity had them under rocks and off the feed, or whether I just sucked. Went upstream to Bloomsbury area, did better on a streamer that my buddy Bill gave me. Got 3 'bows 13"-15" and broke off a bigger one on that bugger. Also got a 10" smallie. Leaves should be getting worse over next couple of weeks then out of our hair for the season. Hey Castaway - did you get the kids out?
Flyzlo

Postby Castaway on October 16th, 2017, 9:33 am

Flyzlo wrote:. Hey Castaway - did you get the kids out?

Yup, Got them off the bus and we headed straight to a spot on the musky with easy shore access that doesn't require waders. They are only 6 and 7 so they can't cast lures yet so they have to bait fish. I set them up with worms and the six year old managed to hook and land two nice rainbows. My seven year old got the skunk. Unfortunately they both swallowed the hook deep so we brought them home and had them for dinner. We fished for about an hour then they started to ask when were we going home and I knew our time was up. They had a lot of fun.
Attachments
IMG_3367[1].JPG
IMG_3367[1].JPG (210.2 KiB) Viewed 785 times
IMG_3356[1].JPG
IMG_3356[1].JPG (259.61 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Castaway

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 16th, 2017, 11:35 am

Awesome job getting the kids out and teaching them the right way, especially with a gut hooked fish. They taste even better when you catch them yourself! I have been too busy to fish, but have been on several local rivers and streams working lately and have smiled at all the anglers out and taking advantage of this fall weather and 2 year old fish being stocked.

PS - for everyone reading this, please PM me if you are seeing any trout redds with details, thanks. We are trying to monitor spawning by species in northern NJ trout streams and I find myself jumping out of the car and walking a few yards up or downstream on a half dozen known brookie/brown spawning streams/rivers.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing