Fall stocking temps

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Fall stocking temps

Postby taltac on October 11th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Yesterday's water temperature on the upper North Branch of the Raritan was 69 degrees and on the lower South Branch 72 degrees. Isn't this kinda warm to be stocking trout?
taltac

Re: Fall stocking temps

Postby Flyzlo on October 12th, 2017, 7:46 am

Wow, 72 is warm. Stream temps have been unusually warm this October. Upper end of temps for Rainbows before they stress is around 68F*. The good news is upcoming local forecasts have night time air temps in the upper 40's which will have immediate affects on cooling the water. If this were June headed into warmer weather I might think about putting any fish in, but being we're headed into the cooler season we can look forward to falling water temps (hopefully soon).

*https://www.sce.com/nrc/bigcreek/APDEA_AttachmentITroutTemperatureRequirements.pdf
Flyzlo

Postby Castaway on October 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I fished the musky this morning. I didn’t have a thermometer but the water definitely didn’t feel warm. My legs actually started to feel cold after standing in it with thin breathable waders after a short time.
Castaway

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 13th, 2017, 8:52 am

taltac wrote:Yesterday's water temperature on the upper North Branch of the Raritan was 69 degrees and on the lower South Branch 72 degrees. Isn't this kinda warm to be stocking trout?

You might need a new thermometer :lol:

Not to bust your balls, but I took temps on the Musky (62.2) and Spruce Run Creek (61.4) yesterday. Make sure to leave a mercury thermometer in the water for at least 30 full seconds and out of the sun. With a digital thermometer, make sure no sun falls on the area you are taking a reading on. But our local streams are falling into the low 60s and will be in the 50s soon with the exception of Sunday when daytime highs hit the low 80s. That is warm for this time of year, but not any type of issue for the Pequest stocked trout. You don't want to stock trout above 70 degrees for certain, but low 60s is just fine.

On the thermometer issue, I know I have talked in the past about my Kintrex infrared thermometer and how accurate it seems. Yesterday I got to test it and it was calibrated to within .1 degrees C. That's plenty accurate for me! We are taking temp, DO, pH, turbidity, and other parameters below a dam on Spruce Run Creek ahead of a dam removal as we begin to lower a 7 acre pond beginning today. The instruments will ensure we don't allow a sediment load to enter the stream during spawning season for trout although the pond itself only has warmwater species in it.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby taltac on October 15th, 2017, 3:13 pm

My thermometer is fine. It is a Taylor and has been calibrated. I don't see what your readings on two different streams at unspecified locations have to contribute to the discussion. When you don't like the message go after the messenger. Not to bust your balls, but have you tried a rectal thermometer?
taltac

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 16th, 2017, 11:38 am

taltac wrote:My thermometer is fine. It is a Taylor and has been calibrated. I don't see what your readings on two different streams at unspecified locations have to contribute to the discussion. When you don't like the message go after the messenger. Not to bust your balls, but have you tried a rectal thermometer?

You might want to switch to decaf :lol: Bottom line is nobody else got temps near the ones you found is all.

Meter screen closeup resized.jpg
Meter screen closeup resized.jpg (312.05 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Calibrated by manufacturer on Thursday of last week and installed later the same day.......my Kintrex was never more than .1 C different when I did my own informal testing of my handheld Kintrex.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing