Pohatcong and Musky 10/16

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Pohatcong and Musky 10/16

Postby Castaway on October 16th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Headed to the Pohat around 1030 this morning. Was surprised to see the amount of people I did for a Monday morning. First two spots were very shallow and I didn’t see any fish at all. The third spot was a bigger deeper pool that had quite a few fish in it. I managed to land five or six out of that spot all on salmon eggs. I watched a couple of big ones swimming around but they wouldn’t touch anything I threw at them,plugs,spinners or salmon eggs. Tried a couple more spots but they were pretty shallow and I didn’t see any fish at all. Headed over to the musky and I was the only one there. I landed about eight more all on spinners and called it a day. All of the fish I caught were very nice two plus year old fish. Everything was released to catch another day. One of the nicer trout I caught had a red worm fly sticking out of his back that I removed before letting him go.
Attachments
B2810FE7-9E7B-42BD-B4DA-21D37528AD8E.jpeg
B2810FE7-9E7B-42BD-B4DA-21D37528AD8E.jpeg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
81169735-0A21-49F4-8BE5-6E6C280FBBDB.jpeg
81169735-0A21-49F4-8BE5-6E6C280FBBDB.jpeg (194.44 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
74A1DBA2-DE95-4B22-814E-D1AC5EAA8F10.jpeg
74A1DBA2-DE95-4B22-814E-D1AC5EAA8F10.jpeg (187.71 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Castaway

Re: Pohatcong and Musky 10/16

Postby Flyzlo on October 17th, 2017, 7:12 am

Sounds like a great morning. I'm not sure I've ever done consistently well in the Pohat without jumping around alot. It has some beautiful looking holes that can be empty, while other sand bottom non-descript runs can hold fish. Gets too crowded for me in spring, maybe fall is the time to fish it...good report, thanks.
Flyzlo

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 17th, 2017, 8:00 am

Good report. As I've said to a few of you here that have reached out via PMs, the trout are still more or less on summer patterns as in deep pool habitat, and that is no longer due to temps but rather low flows. Fishing for any trout that have been in the rivers since spring or earlier is tough as they have adapted all summer to avian predators and to human predators. If you can see them swimming in the deeper pool in front of you, they can see you angling for them and they will avoid your offerings most of the time. Stealth and stepping into that pool and letting things calm down for a few minutes before you start fishing are keys. Watching any shadows you may cast across the water is another thing you need to focus on right now.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Castaway on October 17th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:Good report. As I've said to a few of you here that have reached out via PMs, the trout are still more or less on summer patterns as in deep pool habitat, and that is no longer due to temps but rather low flows. Fishing for any trout that have been in the rivers since spring or earlier is tough as they have adapted all summer to avian predators and to human predators. If you can see them swimming in the deeper pool in front of you, they can see you angling for them and they will avoid your offerings most of the time. Stealth and stepping into that pool and letting things calm down for a few minutes before you start fishing are keys. Watching any shadows you may cast across the water is another thing you need to focus on right now.

Thanks for the great tips. Sure is frustrating seeing them and not catching them!
Castaway

Postby the hawk on October 17th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Sounds like a great day!! I haven't been out in a few weeks. Question to anyone out there.....the San Juan worm that was stuck in the back of the fish, was the trout snagged by the hook drifting or did he swipe at the fly, miss it and it caught his back? I caught a big brown in the Gorge last month that my fly was in its back. I never felt anything and the indicator was fine and then slam. Almost like it was snagged.
the hawk

Postby Castaway on October 17th, 2017, 10:22 pm

the hawk wrote:Sounds like a great day!! I haven't been out in a few weeks. Question to anyone out there.....the San Juan worm that was stuck in the back of the fish, was the trout snagged by the hook drifting or did he swipe at the fly, miss it and it caught his back? I caught a big brown in the Gorge last month that my fly was in its back. I never felt anything and the indicator was fine and then slam. Almost like it was snagged.

If I had to guess I would say he tried to swipe at the worm and missed it and it got him in the back.
Castaway

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 19th, 2017, 9:38 am

the hawk wrote:Sounds like a great day!! I haven't been out in a few weeks. Question to anyone out there.....the San Juan worm that was stuck in the back of the fish, was the trout snagged by the hook drifting or did he swipe at the fly, miss it and it caught his back? I caught a big brown in the Gorge last month that my fly was in its back. I never felt anything and the indicator was fine and then slam. Almost like it was snagged.

Chances are nearly 100% that the San Juan worm was a trailer behind a weighted nymph of some sort. When trout pursue the weighted nymph they can get caught by the trailer. Or they just get snagged as the line goes over their backs and they react as does the angler thinking he has a strike only to set the trailer into the fish's body. Or you catch the trout with the nymph and it body rolls in the river or in the net and the trailer gets hung up in it. There are a variety of ways for that to happen.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Dave B. on October 20th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:

Chances are nearly 100% that the San Juan worm was a trailer behind a weighted nymph of some sort. When trout pursue the weighted nymph they can get caught by the trailer. Or they just get snagged as the line goes over their backs and they react as does the angler thinking he has a strike only to set the trailer into the fish's body. Or you catch the trout with the nymph and it body rolls in the river or in the net and the trailer gets hung up in it. There are a variety of ways for that to happen.

Great response Brian! Many times anglers don't realize how their rig is acting in the water whether when drifting or when fighting a fish. Just one of the countless variables we as anglers encounter as we continue to learn about our sport and hone our skills.
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing