First brook trout redd of the year for me

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

First brook trout redd of the year for me

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 22nd, 2017, 5:33 pm

Sparta Glen Brook in restored waters. I watched for a full 20 minutes as two males, approximately 9" and 10" long vied for the attention of the lone female in the pool, a 7" fish. They had begun to cut a redd. Sorry for the lousy photo, it's a point and shoot so no polarizing lens to allow you to see into the water.

brook trout over redd resized.jpg
brook trout over redd resized.jpg (233.01 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

My guess is that the rains coming tomorrow - Wednesday will help stage our fish and many should begin shooting upstream into their spawning tributaries to start the spawning process. So be careful while wading so you don't step into a fresh redd full of trout eggs.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: First brook trout redd of the year for me

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 22nd, 2017, 5:48 pm

The dark "line" to the left of the red circle is one of the male brookies. Under the red circle is the redd that is not yet fully cut into the stream bottom. Funny thing to me is that this pool gave us fits during the restoration in late March '16. We hit a clay lens and the steep riffle that comes into this pool kept pushing fine sediment as it flowed over the clay globs in the riffle and made that pool off color for several days. It eventually worked itself out, but I just get amused by the fact they were in that particular pool yesterday. I saw other brookies downstream further, but none in spawning mode yet.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Swissbill on October 23rd, 2017, 9:05 am

Psst!!!! Looking only!
If there is no trout in heaven I am not going.
Swissbill

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am

Swissbill wrote:Psst!!!! Looking only!

They call me the Trout Voyeur :lol:
Rusty Spinner

Postby martalus on October 23rd, 2017, 9:59 am

Did you notice more trout in the stream compared to before the restoration, or is too early to tell?
Looks like some good rain coming this week.
martalus

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 23rd, 2017, 10:29 am

martalus wrote:Did you notice more trout in the stream compared to before the restoration, or is too early to tell?
Looks like some good rain coming this week.

Electro fishing results this past summer only captured 3 brook trout. I didn't have time to walk much of the restored water on Saturday, but I found 3 each in two different pools. But electro fishing misses plenty of trout that feel the current and escape the stunning and capture. This is the first documented spawning in the restored reaches. Last fall as far as I know, nobody looked. And we had a horrible spawning year last year due to exceptionally low water. Same is happening currently, but it looks like we have about 2" on the way tonight into early Thursday and maybe more, especially in thunderstorms they are expecting tomorrow. I think we'll see our wild trout run up into their spawning grounds later this week after the rains help them do so.
Rusty Spinner

Postby NJpatbee on October 23rd, 2017, 2:42 pm

That is great news! Brookies can be very prolific and with a few good spawning years they should come back in good numbers.
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 23rd, 2017, 4:08 pm

One of the members here emailed me what I believe is a brown trout redd in the Musky so folks can see another, larger redd and know what they are looking at.

brown trout redd in Musky.jpg
brown trout redd in Musky.jpg (220.49 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Rusty Spinner

Postby joepanella on October 30th, 2017, 7:32 am

Brian, i spotted a couple fish in the pool under the picnic benches just upstream from where the stream crosses under the road. I was with my four year old and he was very interested in walking in the water so i did not get a great chance to scope out other areas. I also saw some very young fish in the small pool just before it goes under the road, i could not tell what they were though. I also saw tons of grasshoppers which makes some good meals for the fish.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 30th, 2017, 8:25 am

joepanella wrote:Brian, i spotted a couple fish in the pool under the picnic benches just upstream from where the stream crosses under the road. I was with my four year old and he was very interested in walking in the water so i did not get a great chance to scope out other areas. I also saw some very young fish in the small pool just before it goes under the road, i could not tell what they were though. I also saw tons of grasshoppers which makes some good meals for the fish.

That section of stream holds a lot of big, black nosed dace. If you only catch a glimpse of a trout-like fish before it darts under some boulders, it may be a brookie or it may be a big dace. I swung by very briefly the other day since I hunt a mile up the road, and the same 3 brookies were in that one pool still. But I didn't have time to check other spots.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 30th, 2017, 8:28 am

I should add that the rains we just got should greatly help wild trout get into their respective spawning habitats this week. And we have a string of rainy days coming over the next week as well, but not the kind of rains we just got (or may still be getting depending on where you are right now in the state).

Looks like my area of northwest NJ got between 3" and nearly 5", yet so far none of the major trout rivers are over their banks. That tells you how low they were going into this rain event. Most gauges have peaked, but we got a big hit of rain early this morning that still needs to make its way downstream to those gauges.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Flyzlo on October 30th, 2017, 12:33 pm

3.5" in Alexandria last night. The gauge in Bloombury went almost straight up to 795 cfs at 9:00 this (Monday) morning. At noon it's already drained to 612. Like Brian mentions, it just shows how dry we've been. I tried to fish Saturday but Hopatcong must have dumping in anticipation of this storm. It was high, around 250, from ~70 the days before. We had 1.5" on Wednesday night, which may have accounted for the turbidity but I can't see a Wednesday rain hangover lasting until Saturday in these dry conditions. Also making it impossible ( believe me, I tried) was the inexorable leave assault throughout the column. Leaves flying by top to bottom, coupled with high and dirty water had me crying uncle after a short 10 minute wade. The good news is this wind should help get those leaves down and out of our way shortly. Time to be patient. Damn it.
Flyzlo

Postby NJpatbee on November 7th, 2017, 4:01 pm

I fished a popular WTS in NW Jersey on Sunday for a couple of hours and although the fishing was slow I did see several redds. There was nothing taking below and the few little trout I caught all took dries. The water flow was excellent for this time of year which is a positive sign.
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing