It's about time...

For anything and everything about steelhead and salmon fishing.

It's about time...

Postby Dave B. on September 12th, 2017, 12:06 am

...for this page to begin lighting up again! There are kings and Coho in the river right now and plenty more staging in the lake. It almost looks like a good old 'normal' year! Hopefully the chrome will have rebounded some from the die-off a couple years ago.
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Re: It's about time...

Postby The Royal Coachman on September 12th, 2017, 6:54 am

I hope you're right Dave. Last year was a bust for me. Not one hit in 3 days of fishing. Between the 4 of us we caught one small steelhead.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Flyzlo on October 4th, 2017, 7:08 am

Sounds like it's been back "on" again so far this year. I've had similar disappointment up there last 2 years Royal Coachman, this year felt more like the "old" days. Plenty of fish coming through, mostly in small groups and intermittently. Not killer action, but just when you think its time to move, somebody hooks up. Last year seemed like a lot of drifts between fish. I think I might have landed 1 or 2 fish for 3 days of fishing last year with maybe 3 or 4 hook ups. And I wouldn't swear they were good hooks. This year I had that in a couple of hours. I guess a positive of the slow fishing past few years is that the crowds seem to be less.
Flyzlo

Postby Dave B. on October 8th, 2017, 11:54 pm

A bit delayed with this post, but I returned from my annual week long jaunt to the S.R. on Sat morn. As others have alluded to the fishing while not exactly 'hot-&-heavy' was most definitely close to what an average 'normal' year might be. The one rather big departure from said 'normal' was the relative abundance of coho for this time of year. As anyone who is familiar with the fishery can attest o, the coho have usually pretty much come and gone by late Sept. They generally enter the river early and move up-river quickly. This year there are still fresh coho coming in, and they seem to be dawdling along much more slowly than is usual for them. Also they are very much fresher than is normal, with their flesh still having the typical deep orange 'salmon' color and great flavor. Also the coho are running on average considerably larger than usual with 15-17 lb fish being fairly common as opposed to the usual 7-12 lbers.

In my group of 4 we had steady action all week. Aside from the good mix of kings and 'hoes, which ran to about 60/40 most days, one of my guys landed a smallish steely at about 25", another managed a decent brown about the same length and around 7-8 lbs, and my personal highlight was getting to play with a small atlantic. While undersized at 21 inches it still gave a great fight as the species is known for.

With the much improved salmon runs this year over the past several one can only hope that the coming steelhead run rebounds as well! Good luck to all who venture north, and have a safe and fish filled trip!
Dave B.

Postby JeffK on October 31st, 2017, 8:40 am

Dave,

I'll be up in November with Royal Coachman so I hope the steelies are back.

Do you still stay at the Pink House?
JeffK

Postby Dave B. on November 1st, 2017, 10:48 pm

JeffK wrote:Dave,

I'll be up in November with Royal Coachman so I hope the steelies are back.

Do you still stay at the Pink House?

Jeff, all the reports thus far are very positive for a near normal showing of chrome this fall compared to the past 3 pitiful years. Yup, still staying at the Pink House. Bill and his wife are at their winter home in Fla by now but the gent who lives next door keeps the place open at a reduced rate for steely anglers during the winter, just no breakfast. His name's Pete, really good guy. Good luck when you go, looking forward to your report and pics!
Dave B.

Postby The Royal Coachman on November 4th, 2017, 6:29 am

This year should be interesting. I'm used to flows between 500 and 800 cfs. The river is ripping at 2750 cfs. this morning. We're not going up for another week. I can only hope the flows drop a lot!
The Royal Coachman

Postby Dave B. on November 5th, 2017, 4:21 am

Given that the res is full much will depend on precip between now and then as well as the call for power on the grid. On a brighter note the 'other' tribs are flowing well after going to near flood stages last week. There should be plenty of fish and places to chase them even if the SR gets blown out. For a real treat try hitting a small 'mountain' type trib where the fish have nowhere to go but up or down! Better have your running shoes on though if you do!! Our friend 'CAM' can attest to that! ;)
Dave B.

Postby The Royal Coachman on November 5th, 2017, 6:08 am

Man. The river is unfishable at 4200 this morning! :o

Every year I go up I always take a half day or so to check at a new trib so we have some other spots to try if the river is high or not fishing well. But Dave, if you want to pm me spots that would be great ;)
The Royal Coachman

Postby Dave B. on November 5th, 2017, 4:04 pm

The Royal Coachman wrote:Man. The river is unfishable at 4200 this morning! :o

Every year I go up I always take a half day or so to check at a new trib so we have some other spots to try if the river is high or not fishing well. But Dave, if you want to pm me spots that would be great ;)

Yup, just checked the gauge, apparently they upped the generation rate as I expected they might. On a positive note they may reduce the res level enough to cause them to drop back to a more friendly release rate by the time you go. Of course that'll still depend on precip between now and then.

Tim are you still at 'gmail'? If so I'll email you some info on other options.
Dave B.

Postby The Royal Coachman on November 5th, 2017, 5:19 pm

theroyalcoachman7@gmail.com. I thought the same thing about the river dropping by next weekend. They've had a lot of rain there lately. The area is under a flood watch till Monday but a dry week after that. The good news is all the smaller tribs will be fish-able by the time we get up there.
The Royal Coachman

Postby JeffK on November 6th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Don't worry Tim, I've followed Dave around. He's not kidding about the walking shoes, but we are up to it.

Some tiny trickles may come into play at these levels.

I also have a few spots that have done well for me in the Salmon R up to 2500 cfs. Unfortunately, these will have a few more people at them.
JeffK

Postby The Royal Coachman on November 7th, 2017, 7:47 am

It's 2300 this morning and dropping. We should be in good shape next week and all those other tribs should still be running well. Fish on!!!
The Royal Coachman

Postby JeffK on November 22nd, 2017, 10:09 am

Our trip was OK, but fishing was tough. Seems like conditions got better after we left.

Arrived on Sunday 11/12 about noon and visited LFZ. Not many anglers and no reports of fish. Release was 1650 cfs. Had lunch and checked out Orwell and Trout Brooks. They were already low. Didn't see any steel, but a few zombie kings were still in.

Monday it was off to South Sandy. Got some smaller steelies in the lower end in the AM, were plenty of "jacks" in. In the afternoon we fished by the fall and I hooked a good one but lost it. I was tired and was sitting on a rock. I flicked a cast to a ledge and it took when I wasn't alert. Stopped at Lindsay and Little Sandy on the way home. Both were low and didn't see anything in.

Tuesday fished lower South Sandy again and got into some steel and Tim got about a 7 lbs brown. I netted a giant steelie for a pinner. Went to North Sandy in the afternoon. The big hole was loaded with pinners (doing nothing) so we went to a secondary spot and Tim got one right away.

Tuesday night they dropped the flow to 1300 cfs so we went to LFZ. Hooked up second cast in Church Pool, then it slowed down. Dropped the flow to 750 cfs then later to 335 cfs and a cold front came through. That seemed to slow things down. Finished the morning at Pineville Pool where we had some nibbles and left for home.

WE caught some fish, but we had to work for them.
JeffK

Postby The Royal Coachman on November 23rd, 2017, 7:22 am

JeffK wrote:Our trip was OK, but fishing was tough. Seems like conditions got better after we left.

WE caught some fish, but we had to work for them.

You should have been here next week :lol: Oh well. That's fishing right Jeff? We are due for a trip where we wack and stack 'em aren't we? But at least we were hooking fish every day. Last year absolutely sucked!!
The Royal Coachman

Postby Flyzlo on November 23rd, 2017, 9:03 am

Good update Jeffk. Maybe heading up in a week or two. With things still a little "iffy" up there, it's good to get a reliable update before we make a run. Keep the reports coming guys. Can't count on the accuracy of the public information out there, this forum our best source.
Flyzlo

Postby JeffK on November 27th, 2017, 6:19 pm

I have heard it is pretty good with the steady water levels. Of course I don't have any free time.
JeffK

Postby Dave B. on November 28th, 2017, 12:22 am

Glad to hear you gents at least managed to play with a few fish! Sorry about not responding to your email Tim, been pretty busy of late and hadn't time to get into emails.
Naturally the levels and fishing got better after you returned! That's always how it goes! :)
Dave B.

Return to Steelhead and Salmon