It's about time...

For anything and everything about steelhead and salmon fishing.

It's about time...

Postby Dave B. on September 12th, 2017, 12:06 am

...for this page to begin lighting up again! There are kings and Coho in the river right now and plenty more staging in the lake. It almost looks like a good old 'normal' year! Hopefully the chrome will have rebounded some from the die-off a couple years ago.
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Re: It's about time...

Postby The Royal Coachman on September 12th, 2017, 6:54 am

I hope you're right Dave. Last year was a bust for me. Not one hit in 3 days of fishing. Between the 4 of us we caught one small steelhead.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Flyzlo on October 4th, 2017, 7:08 am

Sounds like it's been back "on" again so far this year. I've had similar disappointment up there last 2 years Royal Coachman, this year felt more like the "old" days. Plenty of fish coming through, mostly in small groups and intermittently. Not killer action, but just when you think its time to move, somebody hooks up. Last year seemed like a lot of drifts between fish. I think I might have landed 1 or 2 fish for 3 days of fishing last year with maybe 3 or 4 hook ups. And I wouldn't swear they were good hooks. This year I had that in a couple of hours. I guess a positive of the slow fishing past few years is that the crowds seem to be less.
Flyzlo

Postby Dave B. on October 8th, 2017, 11:54 pm

A bit delayed with this post, but I returned from my annual week long jaunt to the S.R. on Sat morn. As others have alluded to the fishing while not exactly 'hot-&-heavy' was most definitely close to what an average 'normal' year might be. The one rather big departure from said 'normal' was the relative abundance of coho for this time of year. As anyone who is familiar with the fishery can attest o, the coho have usually pretty much come and gone by late Sept. They generally enter the river early and move up-river quickly. This year there are still fresh coho coming in, and they seem to be dawdling along much more slowly than is usual for them. Also they are very much fresher than is normal, with their flesh still having the typical deep orange 'salmon' color and great flavor. Also the coho are running on average considerably larger than usual with 15-17 lb fish being fairly common as opposed to the usual 7-12 lbers.

In my group of 4 we had steady action all week. Aside from the good mix of kings and 'hoes, which ran to about 60/40 most days, one of my guys landed a smallish steely at about 25", another managed a decent brown about the same length and around 7-8 lbs, and my personal highlight was getting to play with a small atlantic. While undersized at 21 inches it still gave a great fight as the species is known for.

With the much improved salmon runs this year over the past several one can only hope that the coming steelhead run rebounds as well! Good luck to all who venture north, and have a safe and fish filled trip!
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Return to Steelhead and Salmon