Saucon Creek

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Saucon Creek

Postby johnw on December 30th, 2008, 4:53 pm

I'm new to Pa. and am currently checking out some of the local streams. So far I've explored the Little Lehigh and Cedar Creek - my next project is Saucon Creek. If anyone is willing to give me some guidance as to where especially and any other info it would be much appreciated. On or offline is fine. Thanks.
johnw

Re: Saucon Creek

Postby NJAngler on December 30th, 2008, 5:20 pm

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fish ... saucon.htm

High numbers to be sure but fish are finicky and is similar to KLG with year-round angler presence high. Best to go during the week.
Pools, runs, eddys, oh my!
NJAngler

Postby NJAngler on December 30th, 2008, 5:30 pm

here's the most recent fishing report I could find:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/ ... 00&forum=8
NJAngler

Postby onemorecast on December 30th, 2008, 6:03 pm

The state stocked some leftover adult trout in the Saucon as well as the Little Lehigh today. From what I understand the Saucon was stocked in the stretch above the special regs section (Trophy Trout), but I am not sure where the Trophy Trout section begins. The Little Lehigh was stocked below Bogert's Bridge.
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide
onemorecast

Postby jaybird on December 30th, 2008, 6:08 pm

A liitle advise about Saucon creek , and its not to steer you away from it. Lock your car doors and if you can go with a friend or bring some protection of some sort . I had a run in there with some very suspicious characters of the drug using variety , strong stuff . That said awsome olive hatches even in January , I hope thats not hot spotting . Also in the summer its the local swimming hole for what I guess are migrant workers . I never really feel to safe there , but its filled with wild browns and Ive seen rainbows but dont know where they came from.
jaybird

Postby onemorecast on December 30th, 2008, 6:24 pm

jaybird wrote:Lock your car doors and if you can go with a friend or bring some protection of some sort . I had a run in there with some very suspicious characters of the drug using variety , strong stuff . That said awsome olive hatches even in January , I hope thats not hot spotting . Also in the summer its the local swimming hole for what I guess are migrant workers . I never really feel to safe there , but its filled with wild browns and Ive seen rainbows but dont know where they came from.

Good thing that open carry is legal in PA. :mrgreen:

The swimmers, as far as I've noticed, are usually confined to the extreme end of the park by the Rt 78 overpass where there is a deep hole. Last summer they had built a makeshift diving platform, which has since been removed. Needless to say the trout don't hang around that spot. And the picnickers/swimmers are there all the time - it's a very popular park. You will not experience solitude there, unless you go above the 78 bridge, behind the developments. But solitude may not be such a good thing, from the encounter you described. What exactly happened there?
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide
onemorecast

Postby jaybird on December 30th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I was fishing under the under pass down past the park , down river from the park . Fishing an awsome olive hatch and here comes this car it stopped parked left stopped again , a couple of migrant workers, :im trying to be politically correct: . Anyway they walked over to the other side of the over pass where I couldent see them . I kinda think the where enjoying some heavy pharmaceuticals . Then I just got a bad feeling and got the hell out of there. I wasnt threatend or anything but my gut said get the hell outa here . That said at this years outdoorsman show Ill be buying some bear spray for people and a good sized knife to keep in my vest when Im alone. I will risk life and limb for good olive hatches.
jaybird

Postby jaybird on December 30th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Oh and where they swim in the summer is a pretty good spot for hatches in the early spring , those riffels above just push bugs down in that flat water.
jaybird

Postby NJAngler on December 30th, 2008, 7:12 pm

no reason to be politically correct here - you can call it like you see it. this country has become waaaay to sensitive to racial issues and to accepting of "alternative" lifestyles as well. I'd say more but I'd be called a bigot and a racist. Oh, sheet, I think its to late, damn :mrgreen:

has this gone off-topic yet?
NJAngler

Postby jaybird on December 30th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Well when i say migrant worker Im sure your mental image is right on the money. So yeah migrant junkies doing crack on Saucon creek but awsome olive hatches.
jaybird

Postby johnw on December 31st, 2008, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the help - much appreciated as well as the migrant warning.
johnw

Postby johnw on January 2nd, 2009, 11:42 am

Judging by what we caught yesterday the recent LL stocking was 9-10 inch rainbows.
johnw

Postby Ryan R on January 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm

johnw wrote:I'm new to Pa. and am currently checking out some of the local streams. So far I've explored the Little Lehigh and Cedar Creek - my next project is Saucon Creek. If anyone is willing to give me some guidance as to where especially and any other info it would be much appreciated. On or offline is fine. Thanks.

Saucon's got an impressive popualtion of wild brown trout. The best and easiest place for access is right below 78 and downstream through Saucon Park (also the trophy trout project area). If you're there late at night, yeah then you'd might have more of a chance to run into troublemakers and druggies but mostly it's more hype about that than actual worry. The worst violence is with the adult soccer teams that sometimes get into heated arguments. But since you won't be fishing the soccer fields don't worry too much. I tend to not worry as I ALWAYS carry at least one accessible knife with me. Just like when I fish Getters Island and Easton/P'burg at night, it's usually my hunting knife that is displayed prominently on my wading belt, its got a nice sharp gut hook on it too. Almost nobody will bother you.

I've never had a problem with "criminals" or even overwhelming crowds there but is still much nicer to fish it on the weekday (like just about any stream). I think Bethlehem is trying to address any problems there though with stepped up patrols through the park over the last year. The wild browns can be frustrating there but that's normal, they can also be quite rewarding.
"For $500 a month I'll kill whoever you want. But keep one thing in mind: I'd happily kill you for free." -Algren
Ryan R

Postby johnw on January 12th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Thanks Ryan - I"ll proceed carefully until I get familiar withthe area.
johnw

Postby JeffK on January 18th, 2009, 8:23 pm

The other popular spot in the Trophy Trout section is by the "High Street" bridge which is the next bridge up from the 78 bridge. Work up or down. There are scattered wild browns all over the general regs water if you explore. Went the the Farmers market in Hellertown last summer and there were quite a few browns rising in the area and no one fishing.
JeffK

Postby johnw on January 19th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Thanks Jeff = I've heard about that area and I'll check it out as soon as I can tear myself away from Cedar Creek.
johnw

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing