A few hours in the Green Mountains

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Re: A few hours in the Green Mountains

Postby martalus on July 16th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Stop at the Man of Kent Tavern on the way in Hoosic Falls, just before you enter Vermont. I have been going there since I was a kid in the 80s and its always great. 130 beers total, with 20 on tap. The original English owner still works there, but he sold the place about 8 years ago and the new owner was smart not to change a thing as the place is a goldmine. Also, lots of great local beer to be had in Vermont after a hard day of trout fishing! Enjoy!
martalus

Postby Skink on July 17th, 2016, 6:59 am

martalus wrote:Stop at the Man of Kent Tavern on the way in Hoosic Falls, just before you enter Vermont. I have been going there since I was a kid in the 80s and its always great. 130 beers total, with 20 on tap. The original English owner still works there, but he sold the place about 8 years ago and the new owner was smart not to change a thing as the place is a goldmine. Also, lots of great local beer to be had in Vermont after a hard day of trout fishing! Enjoy!

Local distilleries are becoming popular in Vermont as well as hard cider. And Heady Topper is worth a try if you can find it.
Skink

Postby Fredy on July 17th, 2016, 8:21 am

TIMMY!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby Dale on July 17th, 2016, 10:28 am

martalus wrote:Stop at the Man of Kent Tavern on the way in Hoosic Falls, just before you enter Vermont. I have been going there since I was a kid in the 80s and its always great. 130 beers total, with 20 on tap. The original English owner still works there, but he sold the place about 8 years ago and the new owner was smart not to change a thing as the place is a goldmine. Also, lots of great local beer to be had in Vermont after a hard day of trout fishing! Enjoy!

I've been to the Man of Kent. I usually don't go that way. I go the Northway to Lake George. Often, I eat lunch at the Log Jam. I ALWAYS stop at Mernie's Pub in Fort Ann. Nothing fancy . Just cold beer, pool table and a good jukebox. Simply the traditional stop.
Dale

Postby Troutman1 on July 18th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Wow..... there seems to be some HATERATION going on here :o :o :o :o :o :o
Troutman1

Postby Fredy on July 18th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Troutman1 wrote:Wow..... there seems to be some HATERATION going on here :o :o :o :o :o :o

:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby Skink on July 19th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Martalus and all. If you find yourself up in Vermont near Stowe, these guys and gals are very helpful. Bob Shannon, owner, is a long time friend.

http://www.flyrodshop.com/?utm_source=July%20Newsletter%202016&utm_campaign=November%20newsletter&utm_medium=email
Skink

Postby openspacez on July 25th, 2016, 2:54 pm

I just spent the past week in Stowe. The brook trout fishing was amazing. With plenty of Heady Topper, I might add.
The guy behind the guy
openspacez

Postby Dale on July 25th, 2016, 7:57 pm

openspacez wrote:I just spent the past week in Stowe. The brook trout fishing was amazing. With plenty of Heady Topper, I might add.

I have fished Stowe a number of times. Many fine brook trout streams. Remind me to tell you about my Stowe bigfoot encounter.
Dale

Postby openspacez on July 25th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Dale wrote:
openspacez wrote:I just spent the past week in Stowe. The brook trout fishing was amazing. With plenty of Heady Topper, I might add.

I have fished Stowe a number of times. Many fine brook trout streams. Remind me to tell you about my Stowe bigfoot encounter.

Dale, now you've got my attention. You're talking to a guy with a bigfoot tattoo.
The guy behind the guy
openspacez

Postby Paul W on July 25th, 2016, 9:02 pm

openspacez wrote:
Dale wrote:

Dale, now you've got my attention. You're talking to a guy with a bigfoot tattoo.

I'll second that--eagerly awaiting the story. No bigfoot tattoo here, but I have been to Salt Fork State Park in Ohio a couple of times, the legendary squatch sighting place. On one visit, I actually missed this couple's sighting by 12 hours. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=41452
Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby Dale on July 25th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Paul W wrote:
openspacez wrote:
Dale wrote:

I'll second that--eagerly awaiting the story. No bigfoot tattoo here, but I have been to Salt Fork State Park in Ohio a couple of times, the legendary squatch sighting place. On one visit, I actually missed this couple's sighting by 12 hours. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=41452

That's your book. You fish where I fish. I recently got back from Yellowstone, Wyoming Montana, and Colorado. followed up with a trip to the Catskills. With the hot weather I am having trout fishing withdrawal symptoms. Those stories are best told over cold beer in the local bar. My favorite is the Naches Tavern in Greenwater, Washington where EVERYBODY has had a bigfoot encounter or two.
Dale

Postby Skink on July 26th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I wasn't too impressed with Heady Topper, it was OK.

Lots of small batch distilleries opened up in VT, pricey but enjoyable.
Skink

Postby openspacez on July 26th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Skink wrote:

I wasn't too impressed with Heady Topper, it was OK.

Lots of small batch distilleries opened up in VT, pricey but enjoyable.

Alchemist is for hop heads, no doubt. I generally prefer beer brewed in the classic German tradition, much like what Von Trapp brews in Stowe, which is excellent.
The guy behind the guy
openspacez

Postby Paul W on July 26th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Dale wrote:I recently got back from Yellowstone, Wyoming Montana, and Colorado. followed up with a trip to the Catskills.

Wow, that's some good living! Fishing-wise, I've been confined to NJ lately, starting to forget what a trout looks like.
Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby Dale on August 2nd, 2016, 9:34 pm

Paul W wrote:
Dale wrote:I recently got back from Yellowstone, Wyoming Montana, and Colorado. followed up with a trip to the Catskills.

Wow, that's some good living! Fishing-wise, I've been confined to NJ lately, starting to forget what a trout looks like.

Also, Blue Ridge, Ga, the Shenandoah Valley and Vermont next week. At this stage of the game, all I want to do is fish the great steams that I have fished and find new ones. It took a long time, but I finally have the time and the funds, plus if you do it right it is not all that expensive.
Dale

Previous

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing