Kosovo/Albania Trout fishing

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Kosovo/Albania Trout fishing

Postby martalus on August 30th, 2016, 3:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HOLi70U-bs

So I arrived in Kosovo a few weeks ago and will be here for at least two years. Its a very interesting place so far. Probably the poorest country in Europe, right up there with Moldova! In some ways it feels more like Africa than Europe in terms of corruption, ethnic hatred/war and poverty. Anyway, I went looking for trout streams as I am told there are some in the mountains. I found this beautiful stream up in a national park outside of Peja and am told it has wild browns. The river cuts a deep gorge into the mountains and has cliffs several thousand feet high around it with a road carved into the mountain. Strangely it has little restaurants around it with tons of cars and litter everywhere which was annoying. Also finding out where to get a fishing license proved impossible as the organizations responsible for it appears defunct. Anyway, after driving around a lot, I found a place where I could more or less safely scramble down to the river, which was crystal clear and ice cold and fast moving, despite being a hot August day. The water must have been 50 degrees, it was so cold. Anyway, only had time for a few casts and didnt see any fish, but I will definitely be back! See the youtube video above on fly fishing for trout in nearby Albania, which is pretty much the same mountains I was in.
Attachments
mountain.JPG
mountain.JPG (106.85 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
mountain stream.JPG
mountain stream.JPG (113.04 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
trout farm  kosovo.JPG
trout farm kosovo.JPG (153 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
martalus

Re: Kosovo/Albania Trout fishing

Postby Paul W on August 31st, 2016, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the share. It definitely looks like fishy water.
Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby nmakota on September 4th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Here are my two cents on trout fishing in that region since i m
From there. Majority of people do not practice catch and release. Their mind set is why go fiahing if u arent gonna eat the fish. There are some that do practice catch and release and some rivers have strict
Rules and are patrolled regularly but there are maybe 5 of those rivers. Most rivers are limestones and spring fed so they stay cold all year long no matter whats outside temperature.

Now lets talk about those people that will kill fish with electricity, grenades and chemicals. Those are the ones that destroy streams and u might look at the atream and say hey there has to be trout in that water and at one point i m sure there were trout but with illegal fishing some streams have been completely wiped out.

So good luck to you and i m sure if u look at some really remote places u ll still find wild
Trout but dont get ur hopes up just cuz water is cold
And looks fishy...
nmakota

Postby MR.MCR on September 5th, 2016, 5:09 am

And hey.....Be careful over there......
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby martalus on September 6th, 2016, 2:34 am

Well, went out yesterday to a stream that is supposed to hold wild brown trout and it was a disappointment, similar to what Nmakota referred to.
I tried to fish the Lepenci river, that comes off the mountains near Brezovica ski area. It was a nice cold, fast moving stream, but unfortunately it was FULL of garbage everywhere along the banks, around rocks/tree roots, with plastic bottles literally floating by me as I was fishing. It was like a fast moving Spruce run creek, maybe a touch bigger, but with ten times as much garbage. I did see a kid with make shift shank and piece of glass trying to spear fish. Not sure if he got any, or if people with grenades have gotten all the fish already, as I didnt see signs of any fish!
martalus

Postby MR.MCR on September 6th, 2016, 9:12 am

All through europe you tend to see less birds, squirrels.....etc. they dern near et everythin.....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby martalus on September 20th, 2016, 10:18 am

I am giving the fishing one more try here in Kosovo. I found an eco tourism guide willing guide me for wild trout in the Sharr Mountains. It turned chilly here with some snow in the mountains, so it might be the last chance before real winter sets in!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0ar_Mountains
martalus

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing