Oregon fishing trip

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Oregon fishing trip

Postby Bubba Zinetti on September 22nd, 2016, 11:58 am

Greetings all. A little summary of our Oregon trip.
Hood River, East fork: Really beautiful, high gradient trout stream. No crowds on a sunny Sunday. This was a difficult stream to fish, but a dedicated small stream angler would really have a great day here. We managed to catch a few in the usual holding spots (slower, deeper water).
Crooked River, outside of Prineville. Rolled up, and got on the river as a hatch began. More 10 to 12 inch trout than you can shake a stick at....Only fished one spot. Very nice and well worth a visit. Miles of river with good access. Beautiful scenery.

Blitzen River, Page Springs campground. Great fishing for small rainbows and the occasional red banded cutthroat above a weir. Never made it that far up. Again, beautiful.

Deschutes river, La Pine. Big, wide and slow. No fish rising. We sat on the bank and waited, no rises. We came back in the evening, no rises. I am sure it holds fish, just very difficult to fish without local knowledge. We thought about fishing the Fall river, but there were many elbows. So a nice hike and picnic along the Deschutes.

We have pledged to return to the Crooked and Blitzen rivers. The high desert is an amazing place, and fishing for trout there is pretty cool.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Re: Oregon fishing trip

Postby martalus on September 23rd, 2016, 2:40 am

Sounds like a nice trip. A friend of mine was fly fishing in Washington state last week and he had a great time catching plentiful good sized rainbows
martalus

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing