Fishing in North Western CT.

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Fishing in North Western CT.

Postby Bubba Zinetti on March 23rd, 2017, 10:26 am

Hey Everyone. We are looking for input on fishing in NW Connecticut. Specifically on the Housatonic, the Farmington and the Upper Naugatuck. We are trying to take a few more trips this year and this is one area that seems like it might be pretty nice to go and fish. We are also planning on going to some PA streams, but we had such a terrible time last year on the Tuplehocken and Penns creek, that we are reconsidering going back.

So, what say you about NW CT as a place to go and fish?
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Re: Fishing in North Western CT.

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 23rd, 2017, 1:00 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:Hey Everyone. We are looking for input on fishing in NW Connecticut. Specifically on the Housatonic, the Farmington and the Upper Naugatuck. We are trying to take a few more trips this year and this is one area that seems like it might be pretty nice to go and fish. We are also planning on going to some PA streams, but we had such a terrible time last year on the Tuplehocken and Penns creek, that we are reconsidering going back.

So, what say you about NW CT as a place to go and fish?

Count me as a big fan of the Farmington, but it is further away than better rivers like the West Branch and has both stocked and wild fish unlike the WB which is all wild. That said, I can PM you some public access spots. It is partially tailwater, so water temps are good most any time. I've actually never fished the Housy or the Nagutuck, so I have no opinions on those two rivers. Penns Creek last year was a nightmare with flows. That is a pure limestone karst river, and parts of it can disappear below the ground in low water years like 2016. Not sure if that was your experience or if it was crowds (green drake hatch crowds are horrible) or even if it was one of the high water days. Try Spring Creek or the Little J next time you're out that way. Both far more consistent limestoners with good public access and often much lower crowds. The sulphur hatches are nothing short of ridiculous.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Bubba Zinetti on March 23rd, 2017, 2:47 pm

We have had both good and bad days on the Tuplehocken, that I can accept. Penns, just sucked. No rising fish all day for 2 days, crowds, and low flows. So it probably was the flow. In addition to that it is hard to find even OK lodging nearby. Most of the offerings are pretty nasty. Even I have standards.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 24th, 2017, 8:34 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote: In addition to that it is hard to find even OK lodging nearby. Most of the offerings are pretty nasty. Even I have standards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing