Heading to Woodstock, VT. Advice?

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Heading to Woodstock, VT. Advice?

Postby Jgarofalo on March 26th, 2017, 9:19 am

My family and I are heading to a house in VT on 4/9 for an entire week. Ofcourse I want to bring the gear but is it worth it this time of year in VT? I've never fished up there before and with the gentile reading I've done, they don't even start stocking until May unlike NJ (not that I'm specifically looking for stockies). I also know they still have a ton of snow around which isn't ideal I'm sure.

So, if anyone has advice or guidance to give, thank you in advance. :)
Jgarofalo

Re: Heading to Woodstock, VT. Advice?

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 28th, 2017, 2:44 pm

It is a bit early for Vermont trout, but Woodstock is fairly south and won't be as tough as northern Vermont. If you google fishing near White River Junction, VT which is the closest big town, there are a bunch of things that come up. Most sites will tell you that trout season begins mid April, but you are close enough to that time frame. Good luck!
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Dale on March 28th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I fish that area often. The earliest that I have ever fished there is the beginning of May and the water was ice cold. Ottauquechee runs through Woodstock. I like smaller brook trout streams. When you get your license, the booklet has a fine map. There are many great streams within a short distance from Woodstock. Have fun and goodluck.
Dale

Postby Jgarofalo on March 29th, 2017, 8:47 am

Thanks for the info!!
Jgarofalo

Postby Flyzlo on March 31st, 2017, 8:16 am

We have a son who did a 5 year stint at Norwich U (central VT) so we traveled regularly up there over the past 6 years. I've only fished once or twice in VT stocked waters (The Dog and the Winooski [NJ/PA is better]) but the buzz from locals is the real fishery is wild brookies in many of the tiny brooks. Might be worth a hike with a 2wgt or Tenkara up into the hills. The White is a bigger river runs West to East. A pretty stretch is about 15-20 minutes NE of Rutland/Killington area, probably 40 minutes West of White River Junction along Rt 100. Stunningly white sandy bottom always looked inviting but I never fished it. Look for the State Hatchery on Rt 100. Massive damage from storm Irene still evident there 6 years later. It's worth the scenic ride just for that alone, plus you can find some of those brookie streams along the way.
Enjoy.
Flyzlo

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 31st, 2017, 11:14 am

Flyzlo wrote:We have a son who did a 5 year stint at Norwich U (central VT) so we traveled regularly up there over the past 6 years. I've only fished once or twice in VT stocked waters (The Dog and the Winooski [NJ/PA is better]) but the buzz from locals is the real fishery is wild brookies in many of the tiny brooks. Might be worth a hike with a 2wgt or Tenkara up into the hills. The White is a bigger river runs West to East. A pretty stretch is about 15-20 minutes NE of Rutland/Killington area, probably 40 minutes West of White River Junction along Rt 100. Stunningly white sandy bottom always looked inviting but I never fished it. Look for the State Hatchery on Rt 100. Massive damage from storm Irene still evident there 6 years later. It's worth the scenic ride just for that alone, plus you can find some of those brookie streams along the way.
Enjoy.

I haven't fished the Dog, Winooski, Mad or others in 2 years now, but IMO they still need more time to recover from Hurricane Irene. The aquatic bugs were simply wiped off the face of the earth up there in those rivers and others. I know they are coming back, but they are not what they once were. That said, I never found Vermont fishing to be better than even NJ fishing although I often caught far more trout, but far smaller trout - both stocked and wild. However, I love their Trico hatches all summer and fall in the mornings which often last well beyond 10 am with fish gorging on them the entire hatch through the spinner fall. And the scenery can't be beat, especially when the Joe Pye weed is in bloom.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Dale on April 5th, 2017, 7:12 pm

My son graduated from the University of Vermont and I have fished there often and for many years. Hurricane Irene devastated the lower streams of Central VT. Unlike NJ where repairs would have waited for permits, the state simply put machines in many streams and channeled to make emergency repairs to roads and bridges. Many of my favorite spots are basically ruined forever. The good news is that the tribs faired surprisingly well and are filled with eager brook trout, which luckily for me happens to be my favorite kind of fishing.
Dale

Postby Jgarofalo on April 13th, 2017, 8:31 am

Here I sit, broken hearted, came to FF but only........

So far, I've only visually checked out Kendron brook and the Ottaqueechee river. The river is way dirty and fast. The brook wasn't too bad clarity wise in the higher elevation parts but also fast. Then it rained + more snow melt. So, I'm waiting another day or so to see how it looks. I'll be here til Saturday.
Jgarofalo

Postby jaybird on April 14th, 2017, 10:19 am

Find a big lake , with lake trout , then find a stream running into it. U might have shots at big Lakers chasing some kind of Bait fish ....or even Pike in a the shallows.
jaybird

Postby Jgarofalo on April 18th, 2017, 12:52 pm

And then.....

Wife is admitted to a NH hospital w/ pneumonia and a side of food poisoning on Thursday through Saturday. Needless to say, I didn't throw a single cast.

Maybe next year....
Jgarofalo

Postby Flyzlo on April 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Jgarofalo wrote:And then.....

Wife is admitted to a NH hospital w/ pneumonia and a side of food poisoning on Thursday through Saturday. Needless to say, I didn't throw a single cast.

Maybe next year....

Oh man, that's too bad. The classic wrecked vacation story. Hopefully she's better by now. As far as fishing goes, VT may be out for this year, but you still have the whole NJ season. Heck, we haven't even seen the caddis swarms yet.
Flyzlo

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing