heading to yosemite in august

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

heading to yosemite in august

Postby lukenic on March 30th, 2017, 12:34 pm

heading out the first week of august. anyone have any suggestion on fly fishing opportunities and guides?
lukenic

Re: heading to yosemite in august

Postby GregT on April 20th, 2017, 12:17 pm

My experience at Yosemite:

if you fish in Yosemite itself the fish are extremely shy and you cannot even get near the water without them scattering. That would probably one of the last places in California or out west that
I would fish. Scenery is beautiful but traffic can be awful in August. We hit the park in the afternoon and it was less so,

BTW I have been to Montana and Idaho at least a dozen times including Yellowstone and Glacier where the fishing can be outstanding depending upon where you go.

Just my take.
GregT

Re: heading to yosemite in augus

Postby the hawk on April 20th, 2017, 8:29 pm

I was there the first week of May. It snowed in the valley. The snow in the upper park had not even began to melt. Fishing was closed while I was there. The Merced river was beautiful, but crystal clear. There are north and south entrances to the park. Yosemite Valley is the major tourist area (and definitely worth the trip) the area has a few streams but is mobbed in the summer. I researched and found some small ponds or lakes that a guide can get you to that they say are fantastic. Those are at the south entrance to the park. The park doesn't consider itself "blue ribbon" trout water, judging by people I spoke to that worked there. But if I was there when fishing was open, I definitely would have found fish!! Oh, and one of the most beautiful places in the world. Enjoy!!!
the hawk

Postby alwaysfishing on April 21st, 2017, 11:21 am

It was a number of years ago, but I stayed at Fishing Bridge campground which is right at the mouth of Yellowstone Lake. Very near the hotel, which is beautiful. Costly, but great location. Anyway, the Yellowstone River that flows into the lake at that location was very, very good. Large cutthroat that were feeding on top (it was in June) and I caught and released many large fish. If you drive the road upstream from the bridge, there are quite a few parking areas available. It is fairly wide there, so you'll have to wade out a decent distance to reach the fish. My suggestion is to go into the shops I the park. I did, and they are very happy to sell you locally tied flies that really work well.

You will do well on the Yellowstone, just my opinion. But two words of caution- keep your eyes open for bear, and I mean it. I found myself alone on some paths covered in moss along the river trail. I ran into a number of these fellows, thankfully the were across the river or far enough away not to bother with me. But get bear spray and pay attention. Second, the river flows very strong there, even though it doesn't look like it. If you get in waist deep you'll know what I mean.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful place to visit, lot's of wildlife (moose, wolf, bison, deer, fox, coyote, elk, brown and grizzly bears) and you'll see plenty.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Postby Dale on April 21st, 2017, 2:51 pm

alwaysfishing wrote:It was a number of years ago, but I stayed at Fishing Bridge campground which is right at the mouth of Yellowstone Lake. Very near the hotel, which is beautiful. Costly, but great location. Anyway, the Yellowstone River that flows into the lake at that location was very, very good. Large cutthroat that were feeding on top (it was in June) and I caught and released many large fish. If you drive the road upstream from the bridge, there are quite a few parking areas available. It is fairly wide there, so you'll have to wade out a decent distance to reach the fish. My suggestion is to go into the shops I the park. I did, and they are very happy to sell you locally tied flies that really work well.

You will do well on the Yellowstone, just my opinion. But two words of caution- keep your eyes open for bear, and I mean it. I found myself alone on some paths covered in moss along the river trail. I ran into a number of these fellows, thankfully the were across the river or far enough away not to bother with me. But get bear spray and pay attention. Second, the river flows very strong there, even though it doesn't look like it. If you get in waist deep you'll know what I mean.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful place to visit, lot's of wildlife (moose, wolf, bison, deer, fox, coyote, elk, brown and grizzly bears) and you'll see plenty.

I fish there every year. Small, medium and large streams, something for everyone. You are correct about the bears and the beauty. I have a tendency to hike in. Always carry bear spray and make noise.
Dale

Postby Bubba Zinetti on April 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

Dale, and Alwaysfishing, he was asking about Yosemite, not Yellowstone. I fished Yosemite when I was a kid, and it was crowded in the valley. It still is 40 years later. However, if you want to hike, and camp then there is some excellent fishing to be had. You have to be willing to hike to get to uncrowded spots. Any spot that is less than 40 minutes from a bus stop will have anglers on it. August may not be the best time for fishing in that part of California due to low water. My advice (free advice is worth what you pay for it) is to get a guide. The Yosemite valley is spectacular, and the rivers beautiful, but if you are looking for fish there may be other places that will give you a better experience. Save your time in Yosemite for hiking.
While you are there see:
Giant Sequioas.
Hike up to Yosemite Falls.
Hike the Mist trail.
If you are very hardy hike Clouds Rest.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby lukenic on April 24th, 2017, 10:28 am

thanks for all of the info. we're gonna be in san francisco as well. i'd rather get a guide and chase trout in or near yosemite but bringing the family on a charter to catch salmon may be a distant second option.
lukenic

Postby Dale on April 24th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:Dale, and Alwaysfishing, he was asking about Yosemite, not Yellowstone. I fished Yosemite when I was a kid, and it was crowded in the valley. It still is 40 years later. However, if you want to hike, and camp then there is some excellent fishing to be had. You have to be willing to hike to get to uncrowded spots. Any spot that is less than 40 minutes from a bus stop will have anglers on it. August may not be the best time for fishing in that part of California due to low water. My advice (free advice is worth what you pay for it) is to get a guide. The Yosemite valley is spectacular, and the rivers beautiful, but if you are looking for fish there may be other places that will give you a better experience. Save your time in Yosemite for hiking.
While you are there see:
Giant Sequioas.
Hike the Mist trail.

I know, but if you read all the posts someone told him to forget Yosemite and go to Yellowstone, Glacier etc.
Dale

Postby alwaysfishing on April 25th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Dale wrote:
Bubba Zinetti wrote:Dale, and Alwaysfishing, he was asking about Yosemite, not Yellowstone. I fished Yosemite when I was a kid, and it was crowded in the valley. It still is 40 years later. However, if you want to hike, and camp then there is some excellent fishing to be had. You have to be willing to hike to get to uncrowded spots. Any spot that is less than 40 minutes from a bus stop will have anglers on it. August may not be the best time for fishing in that part of California due to low water. My advice (free advice is worth what you pay for it) is to get a guide. The Yosemite valley is spectacular, and the rivers beautiful, but if you are looking for fish there may be other places that will give you a better experience. Save your time in Yosemite for hiking.
While you are there see:
Giant Sequioas.
Hike the Mist trail.

I know, but if you read all the posts someone told him to forget Yosemite and go to Yellowstone, Glacier etc.

:) Yes, that is why I replied, but I get it.
The only feeling better than landing a nice fish is to watch it swim away unharmed.
alwaysfishing

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing