Bud Lilly

Anything and everything about trout other than NJ.

Bud Lilly

Postby 46er on April 29th, 2017, 7:55 am

Passed on last January, just received an email from the group that bought his shop in West Yellowstone. Bob Jacklin is still going strong.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/bud-lilly-prominent-fly-fisherman-and-conservation-advocate-dies-at/article_ee170491-c9a2-5ed2-91df-e17b4754ce43.html
46er

Re: Bud Lilly

Postby Dale on May 2nd, 2017, 12:16 pm

I was in Jacklin's shop last June. Both guys working in there were from NJ. We talked about the Jersey Shore.
Dale

Postby 46er on May 2nd, 2017, 2:44 pm

Just booked for next Aug-Sept. Staying in the park again; what a nightmare it was yesterday when reservations opened up.
46er

Postby Dale on May 2nd, 2017, 7:28 pm

46er wrote:Just booked for next Aug-Sept. Staying in the park again; what a nightmare it was yesterday when reservations opened up.

I usually go in June before school gets out to avoid the park crowd. Last year both Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain were a zoo. I spend 1 week in one place, last year Big Sky, year before Livingston and spend the next week leasurely fishing my way back to Denver. This year is still in the works, but going in September. Flying to Salt Lake and explore a new area. I have been looking around Park City, Telluride. Still doing the research.
Dale

Postby 46er on May 4th, 2017, 11:38 pm

We normally go late June, but like Aug-Sept for the Hopper hatch and not needing a lot of gear ;) Been alternating the times each summer since after the fires of '88. We will be driving this year and our sons will fly out to join us.
46er

Postby Bubba Zinetti on May 5th, 2017, 8:50 am

We are going this year too! From Labor day on for 2 weeks. One in the park and one in Jackson. We have found that if you are willing to walk for 20 minutes the fishing is pretty amazing. It is even better if you are willing to hike for ~an hour. We no longer stay in the park. West Yellowstone is better. It is a bit of a ride to fish the Lamar valley, and on the south side of the park.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby 46er on May 5th, 2017, 11:34 pm

We split our stay, half at Lake Lodge cabins, half at Roosevelt cabins. Scored a cabin at Roosevelt this year with in cabin bath, major accomplishment :D Personally I like the northern part of the park; Hellroaring out to the NE entrance. We are thinking of towing our trailer for an extended trip and some time in the Beartooth.
46er

Postby BiggerThomas on May 7th, 2017, 8:36 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:We are going this year too! From Labor day on for 2 weeks. One in the park and one in Jackson. We have found that if you are willing to walk for 20 minutes the fishing is pretty amazing. It is even better if you are willing to hike for ~an hour.

Looks like that's a universal occurrence: I understand there are people with physical limitations so they can't hike too far from where they park, but if you can get out of the "impatience radius" as I call it, the quality of fishing will generally increase.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Dale on May 7th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:We are going this year too! From Labor day on for 2 weeks. One in the park and one in Jackson. We have found that if you are willing to walk for 20 minutes the fishing is pretty amazing. It is even better if you are willing to hike for ~an hour. We no longer stay in the park. West Yellowstone is better. It is a bit of a ride to fish the Lamar valley, and on the south side of the park.

Have you ever fished the upper, upper Gibbon?
Dale

Postby 46er on May 7th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Dale wrote:Have you ever fished the upper, upper Gibbon?

I have fished the upper Gibbon during an overnight to Wolf and Grebe Lakes. Lots of small Brookies above and below the falls. Grayling in Wolf and Grebe.
46er

Postby Bubba Zinetti on May 8th, 2017, 9:07 am

Upper Gibbon in Virginia Meadows, is one of our favorite spots. Great in the evening, while everyone else fights to get out of the park. We have also fished above Virginia meadows, but that is a hard slog. Deadfalls everywhere, difficult casting, and tough going all around. IMHO, not worth the effort. There is better water. We did not see another person once a hiker passed us on the trail. We also fish Notellum Creek quite often. We have found that our focus has changed, and that we like solitude, and great views. This colors our fishing choices. Sometimes this is very rewarding, great fishing, spectacular views, and sometimes it is only great views.

"impatience radius" Ha!
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 8th, 2017, 4:20 pm

I'm headed out in late July, staying in Bozeman and maybe Livingston and taking the family this time. My daughter wants to fish, so I'll at least get in a day or two when not trying to keep Mrs. Rusty Spinner happy. I won't fish in the park but rather on the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Dale on May 8th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:Upper Gibbon in Virginia Meadows, is one of our favorite spots. Great in the evening, while everyone else fights to get out of the park. We have also fished above Virginia meadows, but that is a hard slog. Deadfalls everywhere, difficult casting, and tough going all around. IMHO, not worth the effort. There is better water. We did not see another person once a hiker passed us on the trail. We also fish Notellum Creek quite often. We have found that our focus has changed, and that we like solitude, and great views. This colors our fishing choices. Sometimes this is very rewarding, great fishing, spectacular views, and sometimes it is only great views.

"impatience radius" Ha!

If I am in the correct spot Virginia meadows is loaded with brookies and easy to fish. I actually like above the falls beyond the meadows. It is not easy to fish, but you are rewarded with nice size rainbows. Don't forget the bear spray. I am bad with names, but I think another favorite is Lava Creek. Don't know Notellum Creek. I'm with you. Can't beat the scenery and the wildlife. I like fishing with moose.
Dale

Postby Bubba Zinetti on May 9th, 2017, 8:56 am

If I am in the correct spot Virginia meadows is loaded with brookies and easy to fish. I actually like above the falls beyond the meadows. It is not easy to fish, but you are rewarded with nice size rainbows. Don't forget the bear spray. I am bad with names, but I think another favorite is Lava Creek. Don't know Notellum Creek. I'm with you. Can't beat the scenery and the wildlife. I like fishing with moose.

You are indeed correct about Virginia meadows. There is a plan to rid it of brookies, and put native fish in there. Lava Creek is really good, as well as Cougar creek. Notellum Creek is hard to find if you you don't know where to look. Cool Story Time: On our second or third trip to the area I had heard about this great spot called Notellum creek. I spent days pouring over maps, looking for it. I could not find it anywhere. I finally sent an email to a friend in Jackson who informed me, much to my chagrin, that Notellum creek can also be pronounced as No Tell them creek. It is a "spot burn" euphemism.
Ha!
Bubba Zinetti

Postby jaybird on May 9th, 2017, 10:41 am

Exactly No Tell Um seems to move around through the season also , at least if u read the Yellowstone flyfishing blog
jaybird

Postby Dale on May 9th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:I'm headed out in late July, staying in Bozeman and maybe Livingston and taking the family this time. My daughter wants to fish, so I'll at least get in a day or two when not trying to keep Mrs. Rusty Spinner happy. I won't fish in the park but rather on the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers.

Mark's In and Out Drive In, Livingston.........good burgers.
Dale

Postby Bubba Zinetti on May 10th, 2017, 8:50 am

Mark's is indeed very good. Here is a secret spot: West Yellowstone Airport. The Smoke Jumper cafe. Excellent burgers and fresh homemade pies.
Bubba Zinetti

Return to Out of State Trout Fishing