Liberty State Park Kayak Fishing

If its not about trout, post it here.

Liberty State Park Kayak Fishing

Postby Troutman1 on June 20th, 2016, 12:03 am

I just started lite saltwater fishing with the kayak since all the rivers and streams in NW NJ are low and temperature was too high for safe trout fishing a few weeks ago. Man Saltwater fish are so different in angling and when hooked. I figure Ill stay close to the house. I live maybe 50 feet away from Hudson River but never fished it. So decided to launch my kayak out LSP boat ramp.

Ive been catch these cocktail blue's about 24-25 inch's. Man these fish pull like a freight train and fight like Mike Tyson on freshwater tackle and equipment. My Stradic 4000 CI4+ mated to a medium lite pole just bends and spool just screams.

Hit some stripers also. But they are shorts. Id say about 24-26 inch's pretty good fight also. But the blue's take the cake thou
Troutman1

Re: Liberty State Park Kayak Fishing

Postby Rich P on June 24th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Nice fish!!! From my limited experience, I found that blues do fight harder than stripers but stripers are considered a more desirable fish;. Maybe because they taste better of they are generally harder to catch. Many years ago when I was a kid, i used to fish for eels, snappers and tommy cod in the fall off the old piers in Jersey City which are no longer there. Back then stripers were a rarity.

I thought that "cocktail" blues were the shorter blues not the size that you're been getting??? Of course, I could be wrong.
Rich P
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 24th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Rich P wrote:Nice fish!!! From my limited experience, I found that blues do fight harder than stripers but stripers are considered a more desirable fish;. Maybe because they taste better of they are generally harder to catch. Many years ago when I was a kid, i used to fish for eels, snappers and tommy cod in the fall off the old piers in Jersey City which are no longer there. Back then stripers were a rarity.

I thought that "cocktail" blues were the shorter blues not the size that you're been getting??? Of course, I could be wrong.

Correct, cocktail blues are small, and "taylor" blues are the next size up. Great fighting on light tackle as they often jump, especially for the fly rodders. Both stripers and blues are strong fighters, but stripers don't have the teeth to contend with and most people would rather eat them than bluefish. I like fishing for, catching, and eating both.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Troutman1 on June 24th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Oooops my bad. I got the wrong name for them. I just learned something again. I have been catching Taylors then.... They are so much fun to catch. And your right Rusty they are quite acrobatic indeed when hooked. I had one jumping numerous times with about 25 yards of line out and he was just making the spool scream.......... :D
Troutman1

Postby Troutman1 on July 2nd, 2016, 10:44 pm

Well I finally got my cow out the Hudson. I decided to launch rite down the street from my complex instead of going to LSP. It gets kind of rowdy down there on the weekends. I fished a cove thats in front of where my unit is. I was so surprised to see this guy. Unfortunately he did not survive had he inhaled my plug deep down. It punctured 2 of his gill glands when I was trying to unhook him. Then he just started to bleed. I didnt even bring a stringer. I had to throw the fish in the kayak and paddle onto the edge of the boardwalk. Called my wife to bring a rope down and she and a stranger pulled it. Guess Ill let it set on ice overnite and fillet it in the am. 47 inch's when I measured him at home

Troutman1

Postby johnw on July 3rd, 2016, 6:38 pm

Nice fish and good eating also.
johnw

Return to Other Fishing