Death Valley Pupfish

If its not about trout, post it here.

Death Valley Pupfish

Postby BiggerThomas on July 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm

_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Re: Death Valley Pupfish

Postby The Royal Coachman on July 7th, 2016, 7:01 am

I haven't been to death valley but I hope to get there some day.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby MR.MCR on July 7th, 2016, 8:28 am

We all walk through the valley of the shadow of death ....eventually....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby BiggerThomas on July 8th, 2016, 5:10 pm

MR.MCR wrote:We all walk through the valley of the shadow of death ....eventually....

https://youtu.be/5swA3_OYAY0
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Rusty Spinner on July 11th, 2016, 5:21 pm

The Royal Coachman wrote:I haven't been to death valley but I hope to get there some day.

I've been. Let me spare you. It's hot and in the middle of nowhere and otherwise not much to see unless you're into sand.... :)
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby BiggerThomas on July 11th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
The Royal Coachman wrote:I haven't been to death valley but I hope to get there some day.

I've been. Let me spare you. It's hot and in the middle of nowhere and otherwise not much to see unless you're into sand.... :)

I'm with the RC on this one....check out this spread:

http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/lodgi ... ace-creek/
_BIGGER_

BiggerThomas

Postby MR.MCR on July 14th, 2016, 11:37 am

Looks nice but also it looks hot there in the desert.....it would probably be like spending your vacation in a sauna.....but hey its dry heat :D :D
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby JeffK on July 19th, 2016, 8:28 am

I like the desert and Death Valley. However, Death Valley is nicer in February when the temperatures are in the 70's.

Back in the day I went there with my daughter and her beau. They are marathoners/triathletes and he is a climber and she shows promise. I am an aging fisherman. In a switch of fate, I found a climbing route around a dry falls in a canyon that he couldn't put together. Snap young dude. But fate is a bitch and when we got to Pupfish Creek he found the pupfish which I couldn't spot. So much for bragging about my fish spotting skills.

Death Valley has so many cool things, like salt deposits at the bottom, fabulous canyons in the side walls of the valley, sand dunes, a volcano, and Scotty's Castle. It is really different than NJ.

My son lives in Reno, so I get to the high desert a lot and the temperatures aren't so bad in summer. Lows are in the high 50's or low 60's and it gets to around 80 at noon, so the mornings are nice. The temps climb in the afternoon until it gets to 90's or 100, but as soon as the sun gets low it cools quickly so it is only bad in midafternoon. Another thing to use is elevation. Death Valley goes from a little below sea level to 10,000 ft; Reno goes from 4500 ft to a little under 11,000 ft. By using elevation you can find comfortable temperatures during the afternoon.
JeffK

Postby the hawk on July 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm

My wife and daughter went to Death Valley last summer. Around noon it was 116 at the base. She showed me pictures and there was water, a small creek. Amazing water is even there!! A few years back driving to Sedona AZ, I had booked a flyfishing trip in Oak Creek Canyon. Every waterbed from Phoenix to Sedona was bone dry!! I thought how the heck am I going to fish. Needless to say, the canyon was mid sixties, River flowing and loaded with trout. People say it's dry heat....it is, but it is brutal heat.
the hawk

Return to Other Fishing