A Little Rockaway, Some Huge Bluegill

If its not about trout, post it here.

A Little Rockaway, Some Huge Bluegill

Postby BiggerThomas on August 20th, 2016, 7:43 am

I was up near Lake Hopatcong the other day and crossed over the Rockaway. I always keep a rod in my trunk these daya so I found a little parking spot and tried my luck. I didn't catch any trout but I did reel in a couple nuclear-sized bluegill! Tons of fun right there. The fun stopped, however, once a snapping turtle began patrolling the area. The thing was huge--at least the size off a kitchen sink.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Re: A Little Rockaway, Some Huge Bluegill

Postby MR.MCR on August 23rd, 2016, 12:59 pm

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.......TURTLES ON THE HALF SHELL.....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby Bubba Zinetti on August 24th, 2016, 9:50 am

MR.MCR wrote:TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.......TURTLES ON THE HALF SHELL.....

Um...It is Heroes in a half shell. Just saying....
Edited to add: Turtle Power!
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby MR.MCR on August 24th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I was thinking turtle soup....clams on the half shell.....turltle on the half shell.......eh dont be so picky.......dont scare away the posters....Tom had 2 posts this week.....Just say THANK YOU for posting......
MR.MCR

Postby BiggerThomas on August 24th, 2016, 8:49 pm

How old are you guys?! I try to start a serious thread about the almighty Bluegill and turtles as big as kitchen sinks, and you guys go and pull the rug right out from underneath.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby martalus on August 25th, 2016, 2:09 am

Bluegills put up a nice fight on the flyrod, at least for the first few runs. They are also happy to take a dry fly or whatever is offered.
martalus

Postby MR.MCR on August 25th, 2016, 5:45 am

BiggerThomas wrote:How old are you guys?! I try to start a serious thread about the almighty Bluegill and turtles as big as kitchen sinks, and you guys go and pull the rug right out from underneath.

You mentioned turtles first..... ( Thank You for posting ) :lol:
MR.MCR

Postby NJAngler on September 2nd, 2016, 12:35 pm

A 9" Bluegill on a 7'6" fly rod, 5 weight line fights way better than a 9" brown trout and far less picky. Really surprised more people don't indulge in fly rodding for panfish. Good variety of fish can be caught on those panfish poppers. Bass, Crappie, Pickerel and occasionally a perch. Nothing beats topwater action - either panfish poppers of buzzbaits, my favorite kind of fishing.
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Postby Paul W on September 5th, 2016, 11:54 pm

NJAngler wrote:A 9" Bluegill on a 7'6" fly rod, 5 weight line fights way better than a 9" brown trout and far less picky. Really surprised more people don't indulge in fly rodding for panfish. Good variety of fish can be caught on those panfish poppers. Bass, Crappie, Pickerel and occasionally a perch. Nothing beats topwater action - either panfish poppers of buzzbaits, my favorite kind of fishing.

True. Last year I caught a 9 1/2 inch bluegill on a 5 wt. and it was a good fight when it turned sideways. Caught it on a #10 Henry's Fork Hopper--have to keep the fly big so every other 5 inch bluegill in the lake doesn't drive you crazy. Before it gets too cold I'll probably take a stab at those big bluegills with my 6ft. 2 wt.
Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby jim k on December 4th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Bluegill are great on a fly - when you can find the bigguns.

bluegill2.jpg
bluegill2.jpg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
jim k

Return to Other Fishing