Get out shad fishing

If its not about trout, post it here.

Get out shad fishing

Postby JeffK on April 25th, 2017, 10:12 am

Went fishing in the Delaware with Royal Coachman yesterday and the shad are in!!.

Should be good for another month, so get out there and try it. Water is high, so spinning is the ticket. I had best luck with heavy darts; RC with flutter spoons. Guy next to me was fishing darts and 3 minutes was the longest time I measured between fish - I didn't do as well, but I switched to darts and my luck improved) Fly fishing is tough now, but if the water drops it should be good north of the Gap.
JeffK

Re: Get out shad fishing

Postby Flyzlo on April 25th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Haven't been out for shad in years. Is chartreuse still the hot color for darts? what about spoons? Any sense trying either when it's off-color? Are they past the Riegelsville area yet?
Flyzlo

Postby JeffK on April 26th, 2017, 9:14 am

They are all the way up to NYS and seem to be steadily moving through the whole system.

The old color argument is a long one. Did OK on chartreuse, but the hot color seemed to be the traditional red and white dart with a yellow tail. IMHO, most days color doesn't seem to matter much, but there are also the days when one guy with an odd color is catching all the fish. More important is getting the weight and action right so the lure swims well. I don't fish enough to sharpen my shad presentation, so I find copying the hot hand's retrieve works better than copying the color. However, copying both is a good idea.
JeffK

Postby The Royal Coachman on April 27th, 2017, 6:52 am

Monday fishing with Jeff was my best day ever for Shad. I think we're in for an epic run this year. As far as color I think the contrast of colors like white and red, chartreuse and blue etc. all work well. There's times when one color seems to do better but mostly it doesn't matter imho.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby JeffK on April 28th, 2017, 9:27 am

Went out yesterday afternoon and it was even better (or I got better at presentation). Got the right combination of weight and swing to get it to the right depth. Getting better at adjusting. One of the regulars fished for an hour, got 15 and left. Had the beach all to myself in nice weather after that. Left at 5 just as the evening action was starting (was getting fish on consecutive casts), but fishing was steady all afternoon so I didn't need to delay dinner.

Hot lure today was flutter spoon. Guy there dispensed with painting spoons and applied holographic lure tape in shad colors. Copper was hot, but other colors worked too. Started by applying gold lure tape over tarnished gold spoons to spruce them up and then went on from there. Darts were working too.
JeffK

Postby Flyzlo on April 28th, 2017, 11:06 am

Good reports. Thanks for the help.
Flyzlo

Postby JeffK on May 17th, 2017, 9:34 am

Went out yesterday after work and the fishing was the best I ever had. Now is the time, before it gets too hot. Cold water may not last much longer.
JeffK

Postby The Royal Coachman on May 17th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Gave it a shot this morning and the action was mixed. Definitely slower than it has been. I didn't have any hook ups and it was onesie twosie with periods with no fish on. Hot, sunny days are not ideal conditions and I'm sure the better fishing will be in the evening. With these warmer days on the way the run should be winding down these next couple of weeks.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Return to Other Fishing