Delaware Bronzebacks

If its not about trout, post it here.

Delaware Bronzebacks

Postby Flyzlo on August 22nd, 2017, 7:16 am

We drifted the Delaware up near Pond Eddy on Thursday for smallies. Great day on the water. We had the usual steady pick in and around broken water. Mostly 8"-10" fish with quite a few probably 12". Lots of huge pumpkinseed's mixed in. If we were keeping any sunnies, it would have made for a nice mess of fryers. Water was clear and very wade-able, not too low. We stopped below any riffles and waded up into them throwing spinners and tubes, didn't bring the long rods for their own good. Pretty much picked fish steady throughout. Bigger fish in the deeper stretches, need to get down deeper next time. I got stung by a bee on the ear - in the middle of the river - made my partners day. Ahole.
Flyzlo

Re: Delaware Bronzebacks

Postby martalus on August 24th, 2017, 3:23 am

How is the Delaware Smallie population doing? I remember a few years back (maybe over 5 at this point) there was some kind of disease going around. They are great game fish-even a fish in the 8-10 inch range will wack the hell out out of a large lure or fly and then get in the fast water and pull like a sonofabith. During the day time, try bouncing some kind of heavy jig or barbelled big brown/black wooly bugger along the bottom in the slack water adjacent to a riffle, near a boulder. I have caught fish in the 15-20 inch range that way. The big ones don't like to come to the surface on a sunny day. Dusk is a whole different story-you can get big ones in ankle-knee deep water on poppers as they chase bait. An August day of smallie fishing on the Big D can be one of the most satisfying fishing day I know. And you can also get walleye, an odd trout, and God knows what else.
martalus

Postby Flyzlo on August 24th, 2017, 7:33 am

martalus wrote:How is the Delaware Smallie population doing? I remember a few years back (maybe over 5 at this point) there was some kind of disease going around. They are great game fish-even a fish in the 8-10 inch range will wack the hell out out of a large lure or fly and then get in the fast water and pull like a sonofabith. During the day time, try bouncing some kind of heavy jig or barbelled big brown/black wooly bugger along the bottom in the slack water adjacent to a riffle, near a boulder. I have caught fish in the 15-20 inch range that way. The big ones don't like to come to the surface on a sunny day. Dusk is a whole different story-you can get big ones in ankle-knee deep water on poppers as they chase bait. An August day of smallie fishing on the Big D can be one of the most satisfying fishing day I know. And you can also get walleye, an odd trout, and God knows what else.

Seems like the Delaware smallie population is still very much alive and well as I've seen it. Hadn't heard of the disease you mention. Fish are still about everywhere where there's s structure and/or flow. I tried heavier jig heads and went weedless as well, but I couldn't get the right weight for the run. Either I'd lose it on the bottom or couldn't get there at all. Tried various wire weedgaurd rigs as well as outside-in rigging on the soft plastics, but just couldn't get it dialed in. I think most of the problem was just me taking it too casually - "It's only smallmouth" Rooster Tails were easier and produced so that was the go-to. Next time I'll be better prepared for bigger fish.. Good thought on the night bite. We rented a Kittatiny raft so fishing was 9-5:00 by their schedule. If you go, it'd probably be better marking a few accessible riffles and trying it early and later in the day as you suggest. We used to hit the Susquehanna until about 10-15 years ago when it went from ridiculously fertile to completely dead within a 2 year time period. My kids were little then and would snorkel and kick up bottom debris to chum the smallies right up to their masks. It was comical to see them surrounded by all those fish. Ridiculous numbers of 6-10" fish with a few 2-3lbers mixed in to keep it interesting. Friends fished the same stretch the next year and got skunked. It's been dead since, not sure if they ever figured it out entirely.
Flyzlo

Postby JeffK on August 24th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I've had decent luck in the Delaware (and Musky) lately with a few bigger guys in the mix. Spinners used to be my favorite, and still seem to clobber the littler ones. A few years ago I went to 4" Senkos on a 2/0 worm hook rigged Texas style. Would use either a whitish (white/cream/clear with silver) for a dead fish bite or a natural color. That worked well. Last year I got hooked on the Ned rig, and have great luck with it with a 3" tail in a crayfish or other natural tail. Haven't done as well with minnow colors here. Typically a 1/6 oz jig is what I use, but can go heavier or lighter depending on conditions.

I find you don't need much weight to fish the Delaware - it is more the upstream cast to adjust for speed and following the line. You get the most action by using the least amount of weight. I never use weight on Senkos and try to go light for Ned rigs. One advantage of the Ned rigs is that the Z-man plastics last a long time while the Senkos fall apart after only a few fish.

I've had OK luck in mornings with topwaters - black jitterbugs and shad poppers. Not as fast action as bottom fishing, but it is fun.
JeffK

Postby Flyzlo on August 25th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Hey JeffK:
Sounds like you hit it on the head; I also prefer using as light as possible, that was part of my frustration with the tubes- they needed too much weight. Ned rigs may be the adjustment I'm looking for, looks they'll sink faster and maybe the head configuration will help with the snags. Jeez, they are ugly, lifeless looking things on the shelf aren't they? Good description, thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give it a try.
Flyzlo

Return to Other Fishing