American shad documented in the Musky!

Post any useful information here.

American shad documented in the Musky!

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 8th, 2017, 10:07 am

Pat Hamilton, principal fisheries biologist for the Division, electro fished the Musky below the Warren Glen Mill dam and discovered numerous American shad in the river running up to spawn. This is the first documented find of that species since pre Colonial times when all the dams were built across the river to fuel the local economies. Now as the dams are being removed, American shad and striped bass are once again being caught and found in the Musconetcong River. I can't tell you how great that feels as someone that spent a fair amount of time working with the Lower Musconetcong River Restoration Partnership to remove the 3 remnant dams in Riegelsville, the Finesville Mill dam, and most recently, the Hughesville Mill dam. With the state working now to remove the huge Warren Glen Mill dam, shad could run all the way to Bloomsbury soon!

A great day and testimony for river restoration!!!
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: American shad documented in the Musky!

Postby sandcreek on June 8th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Congrats are in order....that is really a big deal! Thanks for your efforts there, no doubt it helped.
sandcreek

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm

sandcreek wrote:Congrats are in order....that is really a big deal! Thanks for your efforts there, no doubt it helped.

Thanks, but as I mentioned, it takes a lot of individuals and organizations to make these things happen. I did my small parts along the way. I'll be honest, we never knew for certain if the watershed ever had American shad or not as it is borderline in size for that species and lacks some of the slower, deeper pools they need to spawn. I'm thrilled they showed up because they will be back. Now we need river herring to complete the grand slam. American eels are having an easier time and striped bass are all over the lower river eating Pequest stockies and shad. And they should because they are native to the river.
Rusty Spinner

Postby The Royal Coachman on June 9th, 2017, 6:02 am

I was so surprised and thrilled to hear this news! They say that 10% of fish in the spawning run are always looking for another river to spawn in as a hedge against something catastrophic happening to the main run. Also, when the Musky backs up because the Big D is up it makes for better access. In lean water years I think the water may be too skinny for them to enter the Musky. And this was a good water year.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 12th, 2017, 8:58 am

The Royal Coachman wrote:I was so surprised and thrilled to hear this news! They say that 10% of fish in the spawning run are always looking for another river to spawn in as a hedge against something catastrophic happening to the main run. Also, when the Musky backs up because the Big D is up it makes for better access. In lean water years I think the water may be too skinny for them to enter the Musky. And this was a good water year.

I agree. And shadlings spawned in the Musky this year will return in a few years to spawn there themselves. The population can only grow from here. With the Columbia Lake dam coming down as soon as next year, the Paulinskill will have an even better run than the Musky. Now to take dams out on the Pequest......not to mention that this success will force PA to remove more dams and stop trying to build failed fish ladders. Shad suck at swimming up fish ladders.
Rusty Spinner

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU