Today's trout stocking meeting at Pequest

Post any useful information here.

Today's trout stocking meeting at Pequest

Postby Rusty Spinner on February 27th, 2016, 5:04 pm

While I pay little attention to the actual stocking numbers, how and where they plan to allocate the fish, average length and weight, etc., it was good to hear presentations from the fisheries biologists about the "listed" wild trout streams (WTS) as well as the fact that the Division has no plans to bring in brown trout eggs for at least another year or two after this with stocking of browns being "at least" 5 years away. So for the foreseeable future, we're only going to see rainbows stocked except by private clubs which can buy brookies and/or browns from certified disease free hatcheries.

TU has a committee set up to begin deliberations for possible trout fishing regulation changes for the next Fish Code. We will meet between now and mid April and then I will present our recommendations to the state council at our April meeting. We will be looking at everything, but with a strong eye towards protections for wild trout staring with native brook trout and going from there. Everything is on the table, so it will be interesting to see what the committee comes up with.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: Today's trout stocking meeting at Pequest

Postby Skink on February 27th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Who is on the committee?
OMG! You were asked to leave the press conference?
I guess you are only important in your mind.
Skink

Postby Rusty Spinner on February 27th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Skink wrote:Who is on the committee?

There are 6 from multiple chapters
Rusty Spinner

Postby Skink on February 27th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Skink wrote:Who is on the committee?

There are 6 from multiple chapters

Please PM me their names
Skink

Postby The Royal Coachman on February 29th, 2016, 7:52 am

Several years ago the minimum size to keep was changed to 9". I think that went a long way in protecting wild born fish. Possibly there is a bit more that can be done around the edges but that one rule protects probably 90% of the fish.

I'm in favor of the barbless hook or no trebles or just one treble ideas that were discussed but I'm not sure that can be backed up by scientific data.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby MR.MCR on February 29th, 2016, 9:44 am

Most of the old school old timers I know ( 65 and older ) had a belief that if they paid for a license they should keep fish , no matter what, and they did and they do.....but hey many are dying off...and the younger generation tends to practice catch and release...so that helps as well.....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Postby Pete on February 29th, 2016, 10:44 am

MR.MCR wrote:Most of the old school old timers I know ( 65 and older ) had a belief that if they paid for a license they should keep fish , no matter what, and they did and they do.....but hey many are dying off...and the younger generation tends to practice catch and release...so that helps as well.....
Hey !!!!
I'm over 70, and haven't kept a fish in over 40 years.
Most of the people I observe dragging a stringer full of trout around. appear to be under 50.
Pete

Postby Rusty Spinner on February 29th, 2016, 10:49 am

Pete wrote:
MR.MCR wrote:Most of the old school old timers I know ( 65 and older ) had a belief that if they paid for a license they should keep fish , no matter what, and they did and they do.....but hey many are dying off...and the younger generation tends to practice catch and release...so that helps as well.....
Hey !!!!
I'm over 70, and haven't kept a fish in over 40 years.
Most of the people I observe dragging a stringer full of trout around. appear to be under 50.

One of the meeting attendees actually asked the Division to ban stringers at the meeting. His rationale was that stringers allow for high grading where guys catch and hook up 6 trout and then release smaller ones as they catch larger ones. My guess is that happens some, but is certainly not an epidemic. Let the COs deal with stuff like that, don't legislate it. Just my two cents on stringers. After all, the state raised these trout to be caught and eaten. They don't raise them to establish wild populations. We just need to better protect the streams with strong wild populations and not stock over those as we often do currently.
Rusty Spinner

Postby joepanella on February 29th, 2016, 11:02 am

I have been saying for years i would love to see the state start stocking fingerling browns in the lower Musky and see if they could get a decent self sustaining population going. Once those damns come down i don't see what would hold the river back.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby NJAngler on February 29th, 2016, 11:30 am

joepanella wrote:I have been saying for years i would love to see the state start stocking fingerling browns in the lower Musky and see if they could get a decent self sustaining population going. Once those damns come down i don't see what would hold the river back.

As Brian would tell you, many of the tribs to the Musky from Hackettstown to the Delaware R hold wild trout. Once the Musky river temps reach ideal levels, more wild fish will be found in the main river.
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Postby joepanella on February 29th, 2016, 11:59 am

NJAngler wrote:
joepanella wrote:I have been saying for years i would love to see the state start stocking fingerling browns in the lower Musky and see if they could get a decent self sustaining population going. Once those damns come down i don't see what would hold the river back.

As Brian would tell you, many of the tribs to the Musky from Hackettstown to the Delaware R hold wild trout. Once the Musky river temps reach ideal levels, more wild fish will be found in the main river.

I never thought the lower musky had terrible temp problems to begin with. I would assume the Little Juniata has a ton of wild trout tribs as well but i would think the fingerling stocking program is what really brought that river to where it is now.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on February 29th, 2016, 12:58 pm

NJAngler wrote:

Agreed. There are wild browns in the lower (and middle) river now, but not what I would call a robust population. In time, let's hope they will do better because that is never going to be brook trout water other than the tribs in the area. That said, I am working on 3 new river channel restoration projects in the lower Musky, all 3 of which will greatly improve fishing and overall river health. Two are private lands, but the other is the "A-frame" house on the Division's WMA property between Warren Rod & Gun's owned and leased lands above Bloomsbury. That 1/3 mile stretch is public water and we are working closely with my replacement at TU to get funding. It is already surveyed and designed for restoration.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Skink on February 29th, 2016, 5:46 pm

... We will be looking at everything, .... Everything is on the table, ....

Since everything is on the table, how about some discussion about multiple year license.
Skink

Postby BiggerThomas on February 29th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Glad to hear all this about wild fish in the Musky.

Also, this seems to be symptomatic of a mid-life crisis...:
Pete wrote:Most of the people I observe dragging a stringer full of trout around. appear to be under 50.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby joepanella on March 2nd, 2016, 10:52 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
NJAngler wrote:

Agreed. There are wild browns in the lower (and middle) river now, but not what I would call a robust population. In time, let's hope they will do better because that is never going to be brook trout water other than the tribs in the area. That said, I am working on 3 new river channel restoration projects in the lower Musky, all 3 of which will greatly improve fishing and overall river health. Two are private lands, but the other is the "A-frame" house on the Division's WMA property between Warren Rod & Gun's owned and leased lands above Bloomsbury. That 1/3 mile stretch is public water and we are working closely with my replacement at TU to get funding. It is already surveyed and designed for restoration.

I have fished the Musky quite a bit in my life and never caught a wild brown, many wild brookies but no browns. I know they are their, but why would the state not try something like a fingerling stocking to improve the fishery, it seems as though it might create more of a self sustaining population or at least more so than there is now.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 2nd, 2016, 11:03 am

joepanella wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
NJAngler wrote:

I have fished the Musky quite a bit in my life and never caught a wild brown, many wild brookies but no browns. I know they are their, but why would the state not try something like a fingerling stocking to improve the fishery, it seems as though it might create more of a self sustaining population or at least more so than there is now.

Lots and lots of wild browns in the Musky tribs and plenty in some locations of the main river. Do you remember the spot you helped me "rock roll" near a tributary, Joe? That trib is loaded with wild browns and you can catch them in the Musky all around that trib. Point Mountain is another spot that has a fair amount due to nearby tribs. I see some redds from wild browns in several areas as well. The Musky Gorge has Scout Run which is 100% wild browns, and they move into the mainstem from that trib. Same for dozens of other tribs up and down the watershed. So with their already being wild browns, there would be no need to introduce more, just keep restoring sections of the mainstem in need of better habitat. Also, the state has no brown trout in the hatchery and likely won't even bring in a new stock of eggs for at least 2 or 3 more years, possibly longer. So we're not likely to see any brown trout stocked for at least 5 to 7 years according to the Division at the meeting last weekend.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Ryan R on May 4th, 2016, 2:19 pm

joepanella wrote:
NJAngler wrote:

I never thought the lower musky had terrible temp problems to begin with. I would assume the Little Juniata has a ton of wild trout tribs as well but i would think the fingerling stocking program is what really brought that river to where it is now.

Wrong. The fingerling stockings on the Little J are not at all what really brought the river to where it is now. It was and is the wild brown trout population. And that isn't just opinion either.

There are wild Browns (and Brookies) now in the Musky. If the habitat (including spawning areas) and water quality & temps are sufficient the wild trout will expand as conditions improve. No need to stock fingerling Browns to start a wild trout population when there already is one.
"For $500 a month I'll kill whoever you want. But keep one thing in mind: I'd happily kill you for free." -Algren
Ryan R

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU