THIS IS SPARTA(Glen Brook)!!!

Post any useful information here.

THIS IS SPARTA(Glen Brook)!!!

Postby NJAngler on April 6th, 2016, 10:46 am

Nice write up in the NJ Herald about restoration efforts:

http://www.njherald.com/article/2016040 ... 304069982#

Brian - Article mentions a "window" to due the work. I was thinking part of it is the spawning time of the brookies and their emergence which would cover late Sept to April 1st. Is this taken into account? I only ever caught brookies upstream to where what few hemlocks remain. Down thru the valley in that gauntlet - nothing but an occasional bluegill.

Also what native plants will be used? Sweet & Yellow Birch trees seem to have good root systems, grow quickly and hold banks together. Alder works nicely too.
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Re: THIS IS SPARTA(Glen Brook)!!!

Postby lukenic on April 8th, 2016, 7:37 am

thanks for posting. can't wait to check this out then see what the difference is gonna be.
lukenic

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 8th, 2016, 7:42 am

There were two exclusionary windows; one was for wild trout reproduction which is Sept. 15 - March 15 for all NJ wild trout waters (TP) and the other began (if memory serves) on Nov. 1 and ends April 1 for wood turtle hibernation. So our first day we could work was last Friday the 1st. But Sparta only allows us to work on town owned land on Sundays from 9am - 2pm, so we decided to start after that first Sunday. We typically work 7:30 am - 5:30 pm each day and work straight through our projects up to 15 days before we take any days off. Hence why we mobilized the heavy equipment last Monday and began first thing Tuesday morning. I'll post pictures tonight, but my Facebook page and my Urbani Fisheries, LLC Facebook page have lots of pix from the last few days. We're about 1/3 completed with this project. Volunteers are supposed to plant beginning tomorrow in the snow :shock: :lol:

The plant list is far too long to post here, but sycamores, red maples, river and yellow birch, white pines, various oaks, and other trees will be planted along with shrubs such as red osier dogwood, silky and gray dogwood, buttonbush, elderberry, numerous species of willow (some trees like black willow and others shrub height like ***** willows, etc.). I will have my own crew of volunteers this weekend to direct them to the more serious sites in need of willow "cuttings" which will be harvested on site and jammed into the most severely eroded banks and overflow channels where we like lots of root mass to hold the banks and channels in big flood events.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby joepanella on April 12th, 2016, 4:04 pm

After reading the comments it is nice to know people can politicize anything. Looks good, will this be a nice place to wet a line when the trout come back?
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 12th, 2016, 7:53 pm

joepanella wrote:After reading the comments it is nice to know people can politicize anything. Looks good, will this be a nice place to wet a line when the trout come back?

Yes, should be good in a few short years for wild brookies. They are there now, just not in big numbers. Our newly restored habitat should make a big difference over time in both numbers and size of the brookies in there. Lots more spawning and juvenile habitat. We'll be done tomorrow.

before:
Huge boulder pool pre restoration.jpg
Huge boulder pool pre restoration.jpg (803.63 KiB) Viewed 4178 times

after:
Huge boulder pool post restoration.jpg
Huge boulder pool post restoration.jpg (334.47 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

first pool pre restoration (the "waterfall" is the city of Newton's main water supply line which runs under the stream in two places):
First pool pre restoration.jpg
First pool pre restoration.jpg (205.41 KiB) Viewed 4178 times

First pool post restoration.jpg (221.62 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
Rusty Spinner

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 12th, 2016, 8:12 pm

More pix:

We had to remove lots of overly large boulders from the channel and place them against the bank, up out of the floodplain, or buried as habitat in the stream bed.
Coy curling boulder in CAT.jpg
Coy curling boulder in CAT.jpg (188.86 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

And the micro burst of August 12, 2000 left remnants of the Newton water supply main pipes that we removed from the stream channel and placed in two piles for the township of Sparta to remove further.
old water pipes in channel.jpg
old water pipes in channel.jpg (204.29 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

pulling old water pipes out of stream.jpg
pulling old water pipes out of stream.jpg (198.97 KiB) Viewed 4170 times

Random shots post restoration.......
Junction Pool restored with wood.jpg
Junction Pool restored with wood.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

Long run restored.jpg
Long run restored.jpg (184.03 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Rusty Spinner

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 12th, 2016, 8:13 pm

upper step pools with junction pool on bottom.jpg
upper step pools with junction pool on bottom.jpg (200.36 KiB) Viewed 4169 times

step pools looking upstream.jpg
step pools looking upstream.jpg (182.81 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Rusty Spinner

Postby NJAngler on April 13th, 2016, 12:12 pm

In checking my lifetime records, last trip there was 4/9/09. I caught 4 native brook trout - all between 9 and 11" - in 1.5 hrs. Fished all the way up to Morris Lake Road.

I like those stepped pools. Just like it should be!
2017 trout total: 53
NJAngler

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 14th, 2016, 7:44 pm

NJAngler wrote:In checking my lifetime records, last trip there was 4/9/09. I caught 4 native brook trout - all between 9 and 11" - in 1.5 hrs. Fished all the way up to Morris Lake Road.

I like those stepped pools. Just like it should be!

Since I had plans to reach out to you via PM and you posted this, I plan to elicit your help to fish it at least once/year for me and let me know how you do. Restored reach needs to be included in that. We restored a full 7/10 mile in the Sparta Glen Park. Lots of shallow runs with large cobbles, lots of deep pools, and lots of what we call "pockety riffles" and no, that is in no way the technical term. :D

I'll post some more pix shortly.
Rusty Spinner

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU