Hughesville Dam removal update

Post any useful information here.

Re: Hughesville Dam removal update

Postby Bubba Zinetti on June 30th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Bubba Zinetti wrote:We have hiked the gorge. It is really pretty. I would love open access there.

The long term plan is to use mitigation funds to remove the big dam, all of the associated paper mill infrastructure (mill buildings, tall smoke stack, water treatment plant, etc., etc., plant 300' buffers around all wetlands, streams and the Musky, build benched wetlands using the dredge spoils from above the Warren Glen Mill dam, and then donating the site to the state for hunting and fishing access as well as hiking, birdwatching, etc. But the mitigation funding is not yet in place. This is for both the Warren Glen mill and the Hughesville mill. Those two properties are adjacent in Hunterdon and it is a combined approx. 354 acres, and between adding up their Hunterdon and Warren banks along the Musky, nearly 4 miles of new public access (some of which is accessible now like the "S-Bend" above the Alba winery).

So, probably sometime before I die, maybe.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby joepanella on June 30th, 2016, 4:34 pm

To anyone who has not been up there, i have never seen a more silted in area behind a dam in my life. 30ft dam with a 6" deep pond of water behind it. That is not an exaggerated. It will be a tremendous fishery once complete and should help the health of the entire river i would think.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby barkeater on June 30th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I have seen it and you are absolutely correct. It is completely silted in. It will take an awful lot of dredging to get down to the old stream bed. And I agree, it will be awesome once done.
barkeater

Postby Troutman1 on June 30th, 2016, 6:59 pm

I have seen people fish above the dam. My thoughts was :?: even bother. There is so much vegetation overgrowth its explainable :!:
Troutman1

Postby Skink on June 30th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Dredging is happening, check out the video on the MWA Facebook page. They are doing a fine job managing this project.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (216.33 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Skink

Postby Rusty Spinner on July 1st, 2016, 9:50 am

barkeater wrote:I have seen it and you are absolutely correct. It is completely silted in. It will take an awful lot of dredging to get down to the old stream bed. And I agree, it will be awesome once done.

We figure 3 years for the dredging with about 6 months out of each year on average that we would be actually running the dredge. The gold mine dredge is all set to be ordered once the funds come in. I was approached by IPPE to lead this effort on behalf of TU about two years ago now, but in the end, there wasn't any funding in place for mitigation in northwest NJ. That will likely change with the PennEast gas pipeline which is probably coming into NJ from PA in the near future. But other work continues behind the scenes by the two dam owners as this dam is now a known hazard to life and property downstream should it give way and it is structurally impaired. NJDEP Dam Safety isn't letting the two owners wait around for funding, even if one is a fellow DEP agency (Division of F&W).
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Troutman1 on July 1st, 2016, 12:54 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:The long term plan is to use mitigation funds to remove the big dam, all of the associated paper mill infrastructure (mill buildings, tall smoke stack, water treatment plant, etc., etc., plant 300' buffers around all wetlands, streams and the Musky, build benched wetlands using the dredge spoils from above the Warren Glen Mill dam, and then donating the site to the state for hunting and fishing access as well as hiking, birdwatching, etc. But the mitigation funding is not yet in place. This is for both the Warren Glen mill and the Hughesville mill. Those two properties are adjacent in Hunterdon and it is a combined approx. 354 acres, and between adding up their Hunterdon and Warren banks along the Musky, nearly 4 miles of new public access (some of which is accessible now like the "S-Bend" above the Alba winery).

if the plans go thru as described. It will be a gem of a place :D . The only draw back if that it will probably be more crowded then KLG :(
Troutman1

Postby The Royal Coachman on July 1st, 2016, 6:56 pm

4 more miles of public access on the Musky? Wow!
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Fredy on July 1st, 2016, 8:02 pm

With access like that you might be able to get a chance to see one of these...
Make sure you have your cameras ready!!
Attachments
Timmy Face.jpg
Timmy Face.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby Rusty Spinner on July 5th, 2016, 9:11 am

Troutman1 wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:The long term plan is to use mitigation funds to remove the big dam, all of the associated paper mill infrastructure (mill buildings, tall smoke stack, water treatment plant, etc., etc., plant 300' buffers around all wetlands, streams and the Musky, build benched wetlands using the dredge spoils from above the Warren Glen Mill dam, and then donating the site to the state for hunting and fishing access as well as hiking, birdwatching, etc. But the mitigation funding is not yet in place. This is for both the Warren Glen mill and the Hughesville mill. Those two properties are adjacent in Hunterdon and it is a combined approx. 354 acres, and between adding up their Hunterdon and Warren banks along the Musky, nearly 4 miles of new public access (some of which is accessible now like the "S-Bend" above the Alba winery).

if the plans go thru as described. It will be a gem of a place :D . The only draw back if that it will probably be more crowded then KLG :(

Except one MAJOR difference - there will be no road along the river from top to bottom. People are inherently lazy and they won't walk far from the parking areas down low will be my guess.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby JackG on July 5th, 2016, 12:52 pm

That's how KLG should have been blocked off 40 years ago.
JackG

Postby Troutman1 on July 5th, 2016, 6:57 pm

My philosophy is if you want fish. Work for it. So walk you LAZY bums to get it. Guess most people dont want fish :lol:
Troutman1

Previous

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU