Hughesville Dam removal update

Post any useful information here.

Hughesville Dam removal update

Postby Skink on June 11th, 2016, 9:20 am

June 11, 2016 Hughesville Dam Removal UPDATE
Work will begin soon on the removal of the Hughesville Dam which spans the Musconetcong River from Holland Township, Hunterdon County to Pohatcong Township, Warren County. The effort is being led by the Musconetcong Watershed Association and supported by the Musconetcong River Restoration Partnership. See link below.
Here’s what we expect for the Hughesville Dam removal project timeline: Tri-State Dredging will be in the water on June 16th, and we estimate that dredging sediment from the impoundment will take 3 or 4 weeks. Breaching the dam, construction of grade controls and bank stabilization will be done by RiverLogic Solutions and begin about the second week in July. Project feasibility and design and engineering studies were done by Princeton Hydro. We expect that the work will continue until late September. The entire process is very weather dependent and Mother Nature will write the final schedule! http://www.musconetcong.org/files/pdf/M ... ership.pdf
Skink

Re: Hughesville Dam removal update

Postby Fredy on June 13th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Interesting...
Attachments
Timmy Face.jpg
Timmy Face.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby Troutman1 on June 25th, 2016, 7:48 pm

I just fished this today. caught a few trout early am. Water is very low. Gonna miss this place. I fished it many years and has paid its dividends with nice size trout. Hope the restoration goes well to make it even a better place then was before. I wonder how public access will be afterwards :?:
Troutman1

Postby The Royal Coachman on June 26th, 2016, 7:48 am

Troutman1 wrote: I wonder how public access will be afterwards :?:

That dilapidated house is owned by the state so I'm assuming access won't change. I was on the truck that stocked that spot a few times this year and it always got a lot of fish. Since it became the first dam on the Musky there have been some interesting catches there. Now those fish will be able to move up to the next dam in the gorge.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Troutman1 on June 26th, 2016, 10:37 am

The Royal Coachman wrote:

That dilapidated house is owned by the state so I'm assuming access won't change.

Idk about the state owning that house. As I still see no trespassing and private property signs on the property. There is also a real estate sign for sale still attached to the house. I hope the dam on the gorge will come down in the near future as the rest of them to free up the river for better water quality. I dont think many people will venture up to the gorge dam anyway since its about a 1/2 mile hike to it.
Troutman1

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 27th, 2016, 8:56 am

Troutman1 wrote:

That dilapidated house is owned by the state so I'm assuming access won't change.

Idk about the state owning that house. As I still see no trespassing and private property signs on the property. There is also a real estate sign for sale still attached to the house. I hope the dam on the gorge will come down in the near future as the rest of them to free up the river for better water quality. I dont think many people will venture up to the gorge dam anyway since its about a 1/2 mile hike to it.

It is privately owned, correct. For sale, but they waited a decade too long as it is now a tear down job. The roof is like Swiss cheese, so once all that water gets in, it's over quickly for a house.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Troutman1 on June 27th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Troutman1 wrote:

It is privately owned, correct. For sale, but they waited a decade too long as it is now a tear down job. The roof is like Swiss cheese, so once all that water gets in, it's over quickly for a house.

Does the state have any future plans on taking down the Musky George Dam :?:
Troutman1

Postby The Royal Coachman on June 28th, 2016, 7:52 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:

That's what I get for listening to the guys on the stocking truck :roll:

Does the dam have an easement where they put the gravel down?
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 28th, 2016, 8:28 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:

That's what I get for listening to the guys on the stocking truck :roll:

Does the dam have an easement where they put the gravel down?

The owners of the dam, IPPE, own where the gravel pad was put down. They own both sides, hence they own the entire dam right now.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 28th, 2016, 8:31 am

Troutman1 wrote:Does the state have any future plans on taking down the Musky George Dam :?:

The state (Division of F&W) co-owns that dam with IPPE. The dam is deemed in need of rehabilitation or removal. There have been early steps taken for removal which is everyone's long term goal, but it's going to require lots and lots of mitigation funds coming from somewhere like the Penn East gas pipeline if that is built as it looks like it will be. But nothing is in place to fund this massive 3 year project where the dredging is the big piece of the job to eventually remove the dam itself and restore the Musky Gorge above it all the way up to the RR tunnels.
Rusty Spinner

Postby BiggerThomas on June 28th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Troutman1 wrote:Does the state have any future plans on taking down the Musky George Dam :?:

The state (Division of F&W) co-owns that dam with IPPE. The dam is deemed in need of rehabilitation or removal. There have been early steps taken for removal which is everyone's long term goal, but it's going to require lots and lots of mitigation funds coming from somewhere like the Penn East gas pipeline if that is built as it looks like it will be. But nothing is in place to fund this massive 3 year project where the dredging is the big piece of the job to eventually remove the dam itself and restore the Musky Gorge above it all the way up to the RR tunnels.

Bill H took me to the Musky Gorge one day...almost slipped and fell into a bear den!
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Troutman1 on June 28th, 2016, 2:00 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:Bill H took me to the Musky Gorge one day...almost slipped and fell into a bear den!

Gotta watch those bears :!: .........I heard they dont like fly fishermans :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Troutman1

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 28th, 2016, 5:07 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Bill H took me to the Musky Gorge one day...almost slipped and fell into a bear den!

About 8 years ago around now, I was working for TU for only a few months and tried to walk through the cornfield on the Warren side above the Warren Glen paper mill at route 519 to check out the Musky Gorge as I had only seen it once at that point. I was planning to wet wade and had my little Winston 3 weight along (not sure why that small a rod?). I was sweating profusely on a hot, steamy day, the stinging nettle was brutalizing my thighs and calves, and the bugs were swarming my hot, sweaty face when I rounded a corner in the corn to a small back section of this field. I jumped a bear out of the corn not more than 15 feet away. He went one way and I went the other! I never did get to fish it that day.

But I have been back dozens of times since....and have the combo and permission to access it by vehicle from the plant side.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Troutman1 on June 28th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:But I have been back dozens of times since....and have the combo and permission to access it by vehicle from the plant side.

Lucky you ;). I walk the corn field on the weekends when the gates closed. During the weekday I just walk thru the gate and sign in. Some times the guard would hook me up. Id be at the dam in 5 minutes. There are some really nice sections in between. But getting to it rite now is a PITA...
Troutman1

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 29th, 2016, 9:29 am

Troutman1 wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:But I have been back dozens of times since....and have the combo and permission to access it by vehicle from the plant side.

Lucky you ;). I walk the corn field on the weekends when the gates closed. During the weekday I just walk thru the gate and sign in. Some times the guard would hook me up. Id be at the dam in 5 minutes. There are some really nice sections in between. But getting to it rite now is a PITA...

Right now, you can't as they leased out the water to a fishing club. The Musky Gorge below the dam is basically off limits unless you have a tax map with you and stay in certain areas only on the Warren side as IPPE owns all of the Hunterdon side and some of the Warren side.
Rusty Spinner

Postby MR.MCR on June 29th, 2016, 2:16 pm

The legendary, magical, mystical Musky Gorge is a real teaser.......
NJ's #1 Estate Sale Company ...Estatesalesbyolga.com
MR.MCR

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 29th, 2016, 6:53 pm

MR.MCR wrote:The legendary, magical, mystical Musky Gorge is a real teaser.......

Cadillac Rock in fall - Musky Gorge resized.jpg
Cadillac Rock in fall - Musky Gorge resized.jpg (150.77 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Rusty Spinner

Postby Troutman1 on June 30th, 2016, 12:22 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:Right now, you can't as they leased out the water to a fishing club. The Musky Gorge below the dam is basically off limits unless you have a tax map with you and stay in certain areas only on the Warren side as IPPE owns all of the Hunterdon side and some of the Warren side.

Damn :cry: ....... Ive been trespassing like a mug then.... I just fished there about 2 weeks ago on a Sunday :o .....
Troutman1

Postby Bubba Zinetti on June 30th, 2016, 8:11 am

We have hiked the gorge. It is really pretty. I would love open access there.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby Rusty Spinner on June 30th, 2016, 9:10 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:We have hiked the gorge. It is really pretty. I would love open access there.

The long term plan is to use mitigation funds to remove the big dam, all of the associated paper mill infrastructure (mill buildings, tall smoke stack, water treatment plant, etc., etc., plant 300' buffers around all wetlands, streams and the Musky, build benched wetlands using the dredge spoils from above the Warren Glen Mill dam, and then donating the site to the state for hunting and fishing access as well as hiking, birdwatching, etc. But the mitigation funding is not yet in place. This is for both the Warren Glen mill and the Hughesville mill. Those two properties are adjacent in Hunterdon and it is a combined approx. 354 acres, and between adding up their Hunterdon and Warren banks along the Musky, nearly 4 miles of new public access (some of which is accessible now like the "S-Bend" above the Alba winery).
Rusty Spinner

Next

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU