Burnt Mills Dam removal project starting to take shape

Post any useful information here.

Burnt Mills Dam removal project starting to take shape

Postby Rusty Spinner on December 9th, 2016, 4:07 pm

My firm has been engaged by Raritan Headwaters Association to remove the remnant Burnt Mills Dam on the Lamington River in late '17 or by '18. In addition to removal of the existing concrete and wooden timber cribbing, we will be restoring the river channel both up and downstream of this location using USFWS funds and Farm Bill funds, the latter through the NRCS. This is trout stocked water that is most likely below natural trout production as occurs upstream further for wild brown trout. But regardless of trout, it will improve the overall water quality and cool this stretch which is 303D impaired for temperature. We look forward to our first dam removal project working as Trout Scapes River Restoration LLC. We've partnered with our friends at Equity Environmental Engineering to help with the dam removal permitting and with USFWS's fish passage team out of Massachusetts to perform flow modeling as that agency is also a funding partner.

Work will be done to reconnect the river to its floodplain on river left (looking downstream) where WRP (wetlands reserve program) lands sit, also owned by the Raritan Headwaters Association and forever preserved as undeveloped floodplain. We hope to increase vernal pool habitat in spring months during high water times to tie in this ecological floodplain restoration project.

Funding is nearly all lined up and design will commence and be completed by the end of January so that we can begin the permitting process.

Burnt Mill dam at breach end resized.jpg
Burnt Mill dam at breach end resized.jpg (653.94 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Burnt Mill Dam- looking downstream at dam resized.jpg
Burnt Mill Dam- looking downstream at dam resized.jpg (552.65 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: Burnt Mills Dam removal project starting to take shape

Postby MR.MCR on December 10th, 2016, 6:09 am

Cool stuff.....
NJ's #1 Estate Sale Company ...Estatesalesbyolga.com
MR.MCR

Postby stonefly on December 11th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Good luck Brian
Conservation isn't just a tag line
stonefly

Postby Rusty Spinner on April 4th, 2017, 11:45 am

Looks like our designs for the in-stream restoration and the remnant dam removal is now complete. Soon will be permitting and then construction, but that all may take us into 2018 realistically. We anticipate at least a Phase One study of the historic artifacts on site as the original mills date back to pre-Revolutionary times.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby Bubba Zinetti on April 6th, 2017, 8:36 am

Nice to see these restoration projects. I know that spot, we have hiked and scouted the area.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU