NJ Fly Fishing Show

Post any useful information here.

Re: NJ Fly Fishing Show

Postby Rusty Spinner on January 30th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:Rusty: Ignoring women anglers is something that no longer surprises me (my lack of surprise was in fact a surprise to me). I would hope that Simms, Patagonia and Orvis who are big, and have women specific products like waders, boots, and clothing would have women reps at the show. I didn't see them? Do the names Joan Wolff, Cathy Beck or even Maxine McCormic (the 12 year old who won in San Francisco last year) not mean anything to retailers. I don't even know what to say to people anymore. While I am the libbiest lib that ever libbed, I don't think that has any bearing on my wife being ignored or patronized by a vendor. We both get that fly fishing is a sausage fest. However, we sometimes meet some really great people who are happy to see that a husband and wife can enjoy their time fishing together. We also meet some knuckleheads who pretend that my wife isn't even there.

Regarding the people in the booths, I get that smaller companies cannot afford a full time rep to go to the shows, but the major companies? They can afford it.

I know for a fact that T&T rods, Orvis and Sage rods all had at least one full time female rep on hand during the show. Not sure about some of the others you mentioned earlier. Women are the fastest growing segment of the FFing world, and that showed big time this past weekend. I've never seen so many women at the show before and I heard a lot of guys mention that as well. And they weren't just there hanging with their male spouses/significant others. So bad job if companies aren't recognizing that in today's market.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Re: NJ Fly Fishing Show

Postby Bubba Zinetti on January 31st, 2017, 9:54 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Bubba Zinetti wrote:Rusty: Ignoring women anglers is something that no longer surprises me (my lack of surprise was in fact a surprise to me). I would hope that Simms, Patagonia and Orvis who are big, and have women specific products like waders, boots, and clothing would have women reps at the show. I didn't see them? Do the names Joan Wolff, Cathy Beck or even Maxine McCormic (the 12 year old who won in San Francisco last year) not mean anything to retailers. I don't even know what to say to people anymore. While I am the libbiest lib that ever libbed, I don't think that has any bearing on my wife being ignored or patronized by a vendor. We both get that fly fishing is a sausage fest. However, we sometimes meet some really great people who are happy to see that a husband and wife can enjoy their time fishing together. We also meet some knuckleheads who pretend that my wife isn't even there.

Regarding the people in the booths, I get that smaller companies cannot afford a full time rep to go to the shows, but the major companies? They can afford it.

I know for a fact that T&T rods, Orvis and Sage rods all had at least one full time female rep on hand during the show. Not sure about some of the others you mentioned earlier. Women are the fastest growing segment of the FFing world, and that showed big time this past weekend. I've never seen so many women at the show before and I heard a lot of guys mention that as well. And they weren't just there hanging with their male spouses/significant others. So bad job if companies aren't recognizing that in today's market.

Good to know about T&T, Orvis rods, and Sage. I did not see them, however that does not mean that they were not there. We also saw a substantial amount of women at the show, which is why the treatment was so jarring.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Previous

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU