NJ Fly Fishing Show

Post any useful information here.

NJ Fly Fishing Show

Postby MR.MCR on January 7th, 2017, 7:32 am

I see this is happening at the end of Jan. so far I have the weekend off so I may make this one.....plus we did a sale for a NJ outdoors writer and he has promised me a free ticket....... ( heh heh my grandfathers name was Charlie and he was known as cheap Charlie, so it runs in the family ).....
VOTE MR MCR NJ GOVERNOR 2017
MR.MCR

Re: NJ Fly Fishing Show

Postby BiggerThomas on January 7th, 2017, 11:46 pm

The little BiggerThomases & I will be there at some point. Last year we bought memo pads with trout on them :)
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby MR.MCR on January 8th, 2017, 7:24 am

BiggerThomas wrote:The little BiggerThomases & I will be there at some point. Last year we bought memo pads with trout on them :)

Those kids should join the FFFA..............
MR.MCR

Postby Drossi on January 9th, 2017, 5:48 pm

I'll be bringing my special brand of pestilence and ill will probably on the Sunday. :lol:
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby joepanella on January 10th, 2017, 7:43 am

I am probably taking off Friday and going. I have a rod on order from RK Bolt that will be started after the show. We figured i should come down and cast a few as i have changed my mind a few times in the last two years. I haven't been in over a decade, so i guess i can walk around and see the sites.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on January 11th, 2017, 10:02 am

Make sure everyone stops by the Ridge & Valley TU booth and buys some raffle tickets for our chapter's fundraising efforts to restore a section of the Lopatcong Creek as well as a section of the lower Musky. I'll likely be at the show all 3 days myself and my kid is working the Ramsey Outdoor booth over the weekend, so I have to get her there each day anyway. I ran out of time this year to get a booth for my new company as the show was sold out yet again. Next year we'll have our Trout Scapes River Restoration booth all set at Somerset and Denver.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby MR.MCR on January 11th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:Make sure everyone stops by the Ridge & Valley TU booth and buys some raffle tickets for our chapter's fundraising efforts to restore a section of the Lopatcong Creek as well as a section of the lower Musky. I'll likely be at the show all 3 days myself and my kid is working the Ramsey Outdoor booth over the weekend, so I have to get her there each day anyway. I ran out of time this year to get a booth for my new company as the show was sold out yet again. Next year we'll have our Trout Scapes River Restoration booth all set at Somerset and Denver.

Is Ridge and Valley gonna have the girls in bikinis at their booth again this year ??
MR.MCR

Postby Rusty Spinner on January 12th, 2017, 11:00 am

MR.MCR wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:Make sure everyone stops by the Ridge & Valley TU booth and buys some raffle tickets for our chapter's fundraising efforts to restore a section of the Lopatcong Creek as well as a section of the lower Musky. I'll likely be at the show all 3 days myself and my kid is working the Ramsey Outdoor booth over the weekend, so I have to get her there each day anyway. I ran out of time this year to get a booth for my new company as the show was sold out yet again. Next year we'll have our Trout Scapes River Restoration booth all set at Somerset and Denver.

Is Ridge and Valley gonna have the girls in bikinis at their booth again this year ??

All I can safely say there is that our booth will be just like last year :D
Rusty Spinner

Postby Drossi on January 14th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Will be bringing my special brand of pestilence on Sunday
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby Fredy on January 19th, 2017, 10:16 am

Make sure you fookers stop by the RVTU booth and buy some raffle tickets!

1st prize is $1000 gift card to Cabelas
2nd prize is a $500 gift card to Orvis.
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby barkeater on January 19th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I'll be there Friday helping to man the Jersey Shore TU booth. I think I can scrape up a few bucks for the RVTU raffle.
barkeater

Postby Rusty Spinner on January 23rd, 2017, 9:51 am

barkeater wrote:I'll be there Friday helping to man the Jersey Shore TU booth. I think I can scrape up a few bucks for the RVTU raffle.

barkeater, it was great to meet you in person last week at your Jersey Shore TU meeting! I believe we had met previously, but I didn't realize you are barkeater....see you this weekend at the Somerset Show.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Twism86 on January 24th, 2017, 11:05 am

Its this weekend right? I will be house sitting way out in west NJ but maybe can make it out one day.

Tom
"Stupidity is scary, but genius is scarier.
Genius topples nations, genius built the atom bomb."
Twism86

Postby Fredy on January 24th, 2017, 11:52 am

Twism86 wrote:Its this weekend right? I will be house sitting way out in west NJ but maybe can make it out one day.

Tom

Yes Dear, this weekend.
Timmy, the movers are here. Rearranging the furniture in your head for free.
Fredy

Postby BiggerThomas on January 29th, 2017, 10:03 am

How's the show been? We are heading there later today.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby barkeater on January 29th, 2017, 11:36 am

Same show pretty much. A few new faces and a few old ones missing. Same big crowds.
barkeater

Postby BiggerThomas on January 29th, 2017, 9:14 pm

My sons and I walked through the entire show today, wall to wall. I noticed more young faces than in the past--many guys appeared to be in their 20s.

I bought some shirts and memo pads. The boys tied flies which they'll use come Spring.
_BIGGER_

BiggerThomas

Postby Bubba Zinetti on January 30th, 2017, 11:16 am

Well, I will be the voice of discontent here. We (my wife and I) will probably not be going to another Fly Fishing show. Our reason for going this year was to investigate luggage for carrying our rods. Not to bring as carryon, but luggage that will hold 2-3 rods, 2 waders and 2 pairs of boots. We were also looking for new places to travel, and we wanted to check out some gear that we had seen online.

Regarding luggage: We were interested in buying luggage, we would have bought some on the spot had we found one we liked. Our first stop was the Orvis booth. Where we initially had trouble getting the attention of someone. They were standing around bs'ing with people and one was helping a person with rods. We started to handle the luggage, and still no one came to speak with us. Finally I asked one of the staff if he could help. He immediately stopped talking to the person he was talking to and paid attention to us, well me. My wife was ignored the entire time. He did not know the dimensions of the luggage (important if you are traveling with it), and tried to show how it would hold a few rods and one set of waders. I told that we both fish and we would need room 2 sets of waders and boots, and he said "really?" I thanked him and walked away before the red rage rose up inside me. Why is it so surprising that my wife also fishes?

Patagonia also did not know the dimensions, however it stated in the catalog that the new 120 L blackhole rolling duffel had been re-designed to fit within current airline size restrictions, this was echoed by the rep. GLoomis, while helpful also did not have the size of the bag. They would say, that they had no problem checking it as luggage, however it was 64 linear inches, which is too large, and therefore COULD be subject to a $50 oversize fee.

Props to fishpond for not only knowing their entire product line, the rep we spoke to knew the name of our 6 year old bag. He showed us one of the products that would suit us and apologized that the other display product had been sold on friday. We looked online and will be purchasing that bag. I also sent an email to Fishpond corporate telling about the great job their reps did at the show.

With new regulations regarding checked bags and carry-on, and with our experience of not being allowed to carry rods on the plane in 2 different countries, knowing the size of the bag and current airline regulations is important if you are going to sell luggage.

Now on to destinations: 2 of the 5 people that we spoke to said a variation on this: While you fish your wife can get a massage or do some other activity. I thought that the industry wanted to attract more women? This is not how you do it. My wife loves fly fishing, she contributes significantly to our income, and is a decision maker when it comes to trips.

We were able to check out the gear we wanted to check out, and we will continue to support our local fly shop when we can. We will also continue to do business with TCO who has shown time and again that they care about the customer, and they recognize that women fly fish.

I get much more information and positive interactions from the Fly tying Symposium than I did from the FFS this year.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby Rusty Spinner on January 30th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Bubba - great **** on the lack of focus on women anglers. My kid was with me and wearing fishing gear, so we didn't have that problem when she and I walked together on Saturday plus I know nearly all those reps. One thing most likely don't realize is that these shows often use local reps that have nothing to do with the actual manufacturer. Rod companies, for example, use local fly shop workers that sell their lines and not their own sales people although they are likely to have at least one factory sales rep on hand most of the time. I know Shannon's has lent a hand in many booths over the years with our staffers helping sell fly rods, as just one example. That may explain the lack of knowledge about certain products, especially luggage that very, very few fly shops sell directly. Not that that is an excuse, just a fact of how these companies do business at the various fly fishing shows all over the country.
Rusty Spinner

Postby Bubba Zinetti on January 30th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Rusty: Ignoring women anglers is something that no longer surprises me (my lack of surprise was in fact a surprise to me). I would hope that Simms, Patagonia and Orvis who are big, and have women specific products like waders, boots, and clothing would have women reps at the show. I didn't see them? Do the names Joan Wolff, Cathy Beck or even Maxine McCormic (the 12 year old who won in San Francisco last year) not mean anything to retailers. I don't even know what to say to people anymore. While I am the libbiest lib that ever libbed, I don't think that has any bearing on my wife being ignored or patronized by a vendor. We both get that fly fishing is a sausage fest. However, we sometimes meet some really great people who are happy to see that a husband and wife can enjoy their time fishing together. We also meet some knuckleheads who pretend that my wife isn't even there.

Regarding the people in the booths, I get that smaller companies cannot afford a full time rep to go to the shows, but the major companies? They can afford it.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Next

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU