Free Float Boxes

Post any useful information here.

Free Float Boxes

Postby barkeater on February 22nd, 2017, 11:01 am

20170221_191159.jpg
20170221_191159.jpg (799.27 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
At our Jersey Shore TU meeting last night a local boy scout troop dropped off 2 float boxes that they had made. We only need one. If any TU chapter is interested I have one extra and there may be another one or two on the way. PM me if you are interested. I'm going to Sparse Grey Matter Sunday so can drop it off.
barkeater

Re: Free Float Boxes

Postby barkeater on February 22nd, 2017, 1:03 pm

I have a taker. I may have more, so if you need one, pm me and let me know.
barkeater

Postby Dave B. on February 23rd, 2017, 9:47 pm

Just a word of friendly advice if I may. Those float barrels work pretty well and are easy enough to create. The one thing you may want to double check is to make sure all the drilled holes have been de-burred on the inside so as not to damage the fish. The easiest way to accomplish this is to play the flame of a small handheld propane or Mapp gas torch over all the holes to melt any burrs down to a smooth surface. That aside, make the most of your stocking pens and enjoy using them!
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Postby johnw on February 24th, 2017, 11:50 am

I much prefer the wooden boxes we have used in the past but they are much heavier and don't last as long as these will but we are very grateful to have them. Thanks for the heads-up.
johnw

Postby johnw on March 20th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Got to use the new float boxes today and they worked great. Good job done by the Boy Scouts.
johnw

Postby Dave B. on March 21st, 2017, 7:34 am

John, thanks to you and your associates for your efforts to better distribute the fish! I'm sure many anglers appreciate it!
Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Dave B.

Postby Rusty Spinner on March 21st, 2017, 2:11 pm

Dave B. wrote:Just a word of friendly advice if I may. Those float barrels work pretty well and are easy enough to create. The one thing you may want to double check is to make sure all the drilled holes have been de-burred on the inside so as not to damage the fish. The easiest way to accomplish this is to play the flame of a small handheld propane or Mapp gas torch over all the holes to melt any burrs down to a smooth surface. That aside, make the most of your stocking pens and enjoy using them!

I just saw the pix and thought the exact same thing. A deburring tool if you reload your own ammo might do the trick as well, but from the inside out.

As far as float boxes, Dave B has the best design I have ever seen. If anyone ever needs to make some, reach out to him here and get a photo of what he uses. Beats the heck out of wood or plastic drums.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby johnw on March 21st, 2017, 4:31 pm

Thanks, Dave we enjoy it and best of all we are all retired and have the time to do it. I've stocked when I worked and I know how difficult it can be to find the time. I checked the holes inside the barrel and it appears the Boy Scouts de- blurred them so no problems. Would love to see a picture of your float stocking design if possible.
johnw

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU