Original R.L.Winston Rod Company in Twin Bridges Burns Down

Post any useful information here.

Original R.L.Winston Rod Company in Twin Bridges Burns Down

Postby BiggerThomas on May 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm

_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Re: Original R.L.Winston Rod Company in Twin Bridges Burns Down

Postby joepanella on May 17th, 2017, 11:43 am

I believe this was the only the bamboo rod shop currently. I also believe alot of the records are in the possession of Glenn Bracket. From what i have heard the tapers are all still recorded but i am sure they lost alot of materials and rods.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 17th, 2017, 2:57 pm

joepanella wrote:I believe this was the only the bamboo rod shop currently. I also believe alot of the records are in the possession of Glenn Bracket. From what i have heard the tapers are all still recorded but i am sure they lost alot of materials and rods.

To me, that shop lost all its luster when Glenn and crew left to form their own bamboo rod company. So I guess I don't see it as such a big loss and Winston's graphite/boron rod production was unaffected. I don't know of anyone that still covets a Winston bamboo these days, but I could be wrong.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby joepanella on May 18th, 2017, 8:00 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
joepanella wrote:I believe this was the only the bamboo rod shop currently. I also believe alot of the records are in the possession of Glenn Bracket. From what i have heard the tapers are all still recorded but i am sure they lost alot of materials and rods.

To me, that shop lost all its luster when Glenn and crew left to form their own bamboo rod company. So I guess I don't see it as such a big loss and Winston's graphite/boron rod production was unaffected. I don't know of anyone that still covets a Winston bamboo these days, but I could be wrong.

I agree, when Glenn Bracket and team left that basically ended the Winston Bamboo operation. I don't know why anyone would spend and extra $500-750 to get a rod from Winston when you can get one from Sweetgrass. I believe Glenn is also the one who holds at least a copy of the notes from the rods he made. When i look at post Brackett Winstons on the secondary market they are not in very high demand at all. When i decided to order my first bamboo rod, being a Winston Graphite guy, i did not even give it a second thought and called Sweetgrass. Sweetgrass is not broken up and Glenn is going to run his shop out of Butte instead of Twin Bridges. Luca Troiani is going to be making rods on his own this fall, so things are changing. I will be in touch with Luca when he starts, but i have 4 rods on order now over the next 3 or so years.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 18th, 2017, 9:30 am

joepanella wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

I agree, when Glenn Bracket and team left that basically ended the Winston Bamboo operation. I don't know why anyone would spend and extra $500-750 to get a rod from Winston when you can get one from Sweetgrass. I believe Glenn is also the one who holds at least a copy of the notes from the rods he made. When i look at post Brackett Winstons on the secondary market they are not in very high demand at all. When i decided to order my first bamboo rod, being a Winston Graphite guy, i did not even give it a second thought and called Sweetgrass. Sweetgrass is not broken up and Glenn is going to run his shop out of Butte instead of Twin Bridges. Luca Troiani is going to be making rods on his own this fall, so things are changing. I will be in touch with Luca when he starts, but i have 4 rods on order now over the next 3 or so years.

Sweet! (Pun intended). I look forward to seeing some of those new bamboo rods of yours in coming years. I own one reconditioned bamboo myself and never caught that bug, but I greatly appreciate the craftsmanship of a well built bamboo rod.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to Issues/Activities/Conservation/TU