Blue Trout Flies

Anything related to fly tying and the bugs they imitate.

Blue Trout Flies

Postby NJpatbee on February 19th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Late Winter Rambling Thought - I have been tying flies for over 40 years and realize I have never tied a blue (not blue dun) fly. I have seen some streamers, fancy wet flies, and some salmon flies using blue and blue highlights, but I don't even own any blue thread, floss, feathers, anything. I have shot a lot of pheasant in the past but always passed on the blue feathers. Not that I have a need for more flies, but are there any blue trout patterns out there that I have been missing out on all these years?
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Re: Blue Trout Flies

Postby barkeater on February 19th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I read someplace, a while back, that trout see blue more vividly than any other color and the article mentioned using a blue egg pattern with success. Sorry but I don't remember the name of the article or author. I have never tied anything with blue however.
barkeater

Postby GregT on February 22nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Out West, MT and Idaho, in moist fly shops they sell nymphs and dry flies that are dark purple.
GregT

Postby The Royal Coachman on February 23rd, 2017, 7:47 am

I've had some success with a blue Copper John.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby NJpatbee on February 25th, 2017, 11:51 am

I have tied copper johns in red and chartreuse in small sizes and had moderate success, but haven't tried blue - I may have to give it a try. As for purple one of my favorite soft hackle patterns is the Snipe/Purple size 18 for the little black caddis and similar flies. Thanks for the input.
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Postby Rusty Spinner on May 31st, 2017, 3:25 pm

Judging by all the ones I see in trees, blue mop flies are one of the hotter colors for that "fly".
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby barkeater on June 15th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Just for fun, I tied a blue nymph. Blue feathers for tail wing case and legs with hares ear dubbing for body and thorax #16. Fished it at Point Mountain and it worked real well on stockies taking the majority of trout I caught. Since then I have taken a few browns with it. Opinoin, I'll keep a few in my nymph box.
barkeater

Return to Fly Tying/Trout Entomology