New Patterns

Anything related to fly tying and the bugs they imitate.

New Patterns

Postby NJpatbee on January 18th, 2015, 3:31 pm

As I sit here waiting for my next copy of Fly Tyer Magazine I realize that I had such a lean fly fishing season in 2014 that I am very well stocked with my favorites for 2015. I may go back and go through the library of books I have to get some ideas from some classics and pour through past copies of Fly Tyer. I have already tied a few colors of the "Mop" from another thread but the actual tying time was about 45 minutes for a dozen, and I jazzed then up with different types of collars using everything from ice dub to peacock herl and ostrich.

Has anyone come across any patterns that offer something new, either in fly design, tying method, or materials? Or has anyone re-discovered something old that many of us ignore? Perhaps I will just go through the lifetime worth of materials and get creative. I will have to commit to fishing more often this year so I so not have this problem again!
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Re: New Patterns

Postby JeffK on January 22nd, 2015, 11:35 am

I don't know how you feel about streamers, but I cycle through the patterns all the time. First it's buggers, since they work. Then bucktails since they are the fly of my youth and a Mickey Finn is pretty reliable. Then I have a Shenks white minnow year. I went to Maine a couple of years ago so went on a feather wing streamer kick. Thunder Creeks can get you tying for a while and those 5" to 7" monsters can also keep you busy. Now, I'm back to buggers since they are easy to tie and I'm lazy. But I still got boxes of the others, but maybe I need a few more Shenk's minnows and Thunder Creeks. The old marabou patterns are good - I have a soft spot for the Cardinelle.

I cycle through styles of dries too. Classic Catskills are fun, then went on a CDC kick (still like little CDC olives). Had a year when all I tied were parachute Cahills and tan Sparkle Duns and did great. Now I tie a lot of snowshoe hare wing dries. The one I really like has a slightly spent wing like Ken Tutalo's knock down dun, only using snowshoe hare. In white and size 14 it has been killer for me in sulphur/Cahill season.
JeffK

Postby NJpatbee on January 24th, 2015, 6:06 pm

I am probably the only one on this forum to never catch a fish with a wooly bugger. I have tied a few but no success. I have tying and fishing streamers over the last 3-4 years much more than previously, but they are not my go to fly pattern. I will try them and have had some decent success and my favorite is Dick Talleur's dace pattern in several different shades. I also stopped tying winged wet flies about 35 years ago since I had such poor success with them. On the other hand I have had banner days fishing wingless soft hackles and may have to add a little variety to my selection - 90% of them time I use the partridge and orange or the Tups Indispensable and nail them. I have the skins of birds like English Snipe that I have not used in years so I may put them back in play.

Fortunately fly tying gets me through the winter but I just do not need the volume of flies I normally do. Time to go through some of the old books and rediscover some of my old favorites.in fact I may just tie some classic winged wets to see if I have learned anything over the last few decades.
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Postby The Royal Coachman on January 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm

My boxes are pretty full as well this year. I guess I didn't fish enough? Maybe I tried for Shad too much? Is that possible?

I have ties a few new patterns for me. Walt's Worm always looked like it would work but it was never in my box.

Rainbow Warrior always looked interesting but I just never tied it.

I have plenty of streamers but I'm low on the Slump Buster.

I'm also looking for a small (1") Crayfish Pattern. Any suggestions?
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby Paul W on January 25th, 2015, 3:21 am

I also stopped tying winged wet flies about 35 years ago since I had such poor success with them.

I don't have a lot of success with traditional wets either, but one I do get fish on is the Lead Wing Coachman.

I am probably the only one on this forum to never catch a fish with a wooly bugger. I have tied a few but no success.

To work a different take on the bugger, you might want to tie them as 'baby' buggers. Sometimes the full-size bugger (#10, 2X streamer hook) seems too large, especially on a small stream. I'll take a #14 dry fly hook, weight it, and tie it with smaller diameter micro-chenille instead of the normal-sized chenille.

Or has anyone re-discovered something old that many of us ignore?

I have used the old school wet Queen-of-the-Waters with some success. Below is a picture of a brown I caught on a QotW years ago in February...and I don't catch anything in February accept a cold.

Paul W
Site Supporter

Postby Fontinalis on January 27th, 2015, 1:34 pm

There are two wet fly patterns that will catch fish for you from Late may through August.

1) Green Wells Glory

2) The Romaine

These two patterns has taken numerous Trout in NJ, NY and PA waters. I consider these two patterns to be staples in a wet fly box along with:

1) The Coachmen,

2) Hare's Ear Wet

Last fly that is not really know unless you are a Catskill Fly Tyers Guild member is the Black Turkey. This fly is a late spring and summer patterns and has been taking fish for me and a few fellow guild members for years. It's simple, Ugly and works and more importantly to me is tyed the old fashioned way with a little glue.
A Genuine Wet Fly Fishermen & Tyer
Fontinalis

Postby NJpatbee on January 28th, 2015, 8:42 am

Thanks for the input!
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Postby martalus on January 28th, 2015, 9:16 am

What is the best way to fish those kinds of wets? 2-3 at at time like Hemingway, cast across the stream and allowed to swing below you and flutter in the current?
martalus

Postby jaybird on January 28th, 2015, 10:28 am

martalus wrote:What is the best way to fish those kinds of wets? 2-3 at at time like Hemingway, cast across the stream and allowed to swing below you and flutter in the current?

Im sure Andy could give you the historically correct answer , but fishing multiple wets 2 or 3 and letting them swing works or targeting individual fish on the lift like James Liesenring . But even incorporating into a nymphing rig works well for me at least .
jaybird

Postby NJpatbee on February 11th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Fontinalis wrote:There are two wet fly patterns that will catch fish for you from Late may through August.

1) Green Wells Glory

2) The Romaine

These two patterns has taken numerous Trout in NJ, NY and PA waters. I consider these two patterns to be staples in a wet fly box along with:

1) The Coachmen,

2) Hare's Ear Wet

Last fly that is not really know unless you are a Catskill Fly Tyers Guild member is the Black Turkey. This fly is a late spring and summer patterns and has been taking fish for me and a few fellow guild members for years. It's simple, Ugly and works and more importantly to me is tyed the old fashioned way with a little glue.

I found your pattern and a picture of the Romaine on another site. I finally have all the materials but noticed that you recommend the pattern be tied on a size 8 hook. Is that still your recommendation? Thanks
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Return to Fly Tying/Trout Entomology