2015 Best Flies

Anything related to fly tying and the bugs they imitate.

2015 Best Flies

Postby NJpatbee on January 7th, 2016, 5:23 pm

The weather has finally changed and all my gear is inside as I prepare to do my annual winter fly tying. I fished less than I wanted to in 2015, but there are several flies that continued to be most effective for me:

Len Wright Fluttering Caddis (14-22)
Copperhead Nymph (12-18)
Partridge/Orange Soft Hackle (14 - 18)
Snipe/Purple Soft Hackle (16-20)

Of course I fished these flies most often so I naturally caught the most trout with them.

My biggest dud of the year was the "Mop Fly" - I have a bunch of them that might make good crappie jigs.

What flies worked best for you this past season? Any new innovations or major disappointments?
NJpatbee
Site Supporter

Re: 2015 Best Flies

Postby The Royal Coachman on January 7th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Top flies of 2015?

Number one hands down is a #18 lightning Bug followed by an #18 Rainbow Warrior. Pretty much the same fly.

Number 2 is a Walt's Worm. Super easy to tie and effective. A new pattern for me.

Runners up, #20 Zebra Midge and a new pattern for me this year #14 Frenchie.

In the fall it was The Blood Dot and an Otter Egg followed by the Infamous Pink Worm. I'm ashamed to admit this was the first time I had tied the IPW.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to
The Royal Coachman

Postby the hawk on January 9th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Black or Gray RS2 for me. Fished it in tandem with a hares ear or Prince. I had a lot of success with them. Second was probably an olive caddis. The guys at Shannon's always said to try the pink worm. I caught fish, but not as successfully as others.
the hawk

Postby SRT on January 11th, 2016, 7:38 am

Parachute Adams - or how I refer to them, I deviate a bit from the original recipe, with an orange post a stripped dun hackle quill abdomen and a cree hackle and tail size 14-18
CDC and Elk in Dun, Olive, Black, and Amber sizes 14-16
RS2 tied on an emerger hook size 18 and 20
Pheasent tail tied on an emerger hook with a tungsten bead, pearl mylar rib, CDL tail Fire Orange tag and a hares ear/UV mix for the thorax sizes 14-16
SRT

Postby barkeater on January 11th, 2016, 12:54 pm

This was the year of the emerger for me. I got enamored with a tuft and tail (18-22) I tie and caught fish with it from March up into December. Short partridge tail, tan or green body dubbing, brown thorax and a small tan yarn wing/wing bud cut short at the base of the thorax. Most days it out produced my point fly dry or nymph.
barkeater

Postby GregT on June 28th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Did an article for the East Jersey TU chapter about fishing in the Davidson River, NC back in May. Here's what we used very successfully and exclusively.

The setup we used was indicator, the “mop fly”, about two feet down, some micro split shot, and a size 18 -nymph another 12 inches further down the tippet. The key was to keep the nymphs from dragging. We caught between us over 30 fish mostly in the 12-20 inches range with average around 15 inches over 2 days. About 60% were on the mop fly.

If you do not want your mop flies let me know, be happy to pick them up from you. I am in NNJ.
GregT

Return to Fly Tying/Trout Entomology