Fly line

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Fly line

Postby Dale on August 27th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I'm putting new line on my 5 wt before heading out West. I found Scientific Anglers frequency 100 to 160 for $49.95 any opinion or advice would be appreciated.
Dale

Re: Fly line

Postby Bubba Zinetti on August 28th, 2017, 9:50 am

I took a look at the line and some reviews and I took into account my personal experience with fly lines. It seems like a good price for a good fly line. I have always had a problem paying a premium for a fly line. Can one tell a difference between a high priced line, like shark skin or aircell, and a lower priced line without special coatings? (I use Mucilin silicon line coating) I am not a good enough fly angler to answer that. My guess is that it is a perfectly serviceable fly line that will serve you well.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby MR.MCR on August 28th, 2017, 10:06 am

I would let the fly shop put the loop on the end so its easy to put on a leader......
NJ's #1 Estate Sale Company ...Estatesalesbyolga.com
MR.MCR

Postby Dale on August 28th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:I took a look at the line and some reviews and I took into account my personal experience with fly lines. It seems like a good price for a good fly line. I have always had a problem paying a premium for a fly line. Can one tell a difference between a high priced line, like shark skin or aircell, and a lower priced line without special coatings? (I use Mucilin silicon line coating) I am not a good enough fly angler to answer that. My guess is that it is a perfectly serviceable fly line that will serve you well.

When it comes to equipment I tend to by good stuff, not great stuff. I just can't tell the difference.
Dale

Postby Dale on August 28th, 2017, 12:13 pm

MR.MCR wrote:I would let the fly shop put the loop on the end so its easy to put on a leader......

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... !474454423 The specs say that it has a welded loop. Wouldn't that cover it? Also, when I was a kid they sold a tiny eye hook that you shoved into the end of the line for attaching the leader. Don't see that anymore, not that I have looked for it.
Dale

Postby MR.MCR on August 28th, 2017, 12:59 pm

You are correct.....the only other thing the fly shop would do is put backing behind the line if needed.....
NJ's #1 Estate Sale Company ...Estatesalesbyolga.com
MR.MCR

Postby Rusty Spinner on August 28th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Dale wrote:
MR.MCR wrote:I would let the fly shop put the loop on the end so its easy to put on a leader......

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... !474454423 The specs say that it has a welded loop. Wouldn't that cover it? Also, when I was a kid they sold a tiny eye hook that you shoved into the end of the line for attaching the leader. Don't see that anymore, not that I have looked for it.

These days, all modern fly lines except for the very cheap ones come with welded loops on both ends. No more need to learn to tie that or have the fly shop do it for you. I'm one that can very much tell the difference between a cheap and a better line. I hate Sharkskin and would never own it although I have cast it on my different rods since it came out. Learn how to load a fly rod and you won't need gimmicks like Sharkskin. I'm in the industry, so I get certain perks as you might imagine and am very happy I don't need to plop down a full $90 for a high end 5 weight fly line. But even with roll casting like we do so much of here in NJ, a decent line makes all the difference. I prefer a weight forward floating line and not a double taper as the head on a single taper will be better than the matching heads on a double taper which is designed to let you turn the line around and make it last longer.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Postby BiggerThomas on August 28th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:I took a look at the line and some reviews and I took into account my personal experience with fly lines. It seems like a good price for a good fly line. I have always had a problem paying a premium for a fly line. Can one tell a difference between a high priced line, like shark skin or aircell, and a lower priced line without special coatings? (I use Mucilin silicon line coating) I am not a good enough fly angler to answer that. My guess is that it is a perfectly serviceable fly line that will serve you well.

Reading reviews about fly lines is about as helpful as having someone else eat your lunch for you. You may like a line others hate and vice versa. Can you try them out somehow?

I can't tell the difference between moderate and high-priced lines but I can with rods.
_BIGGER_

All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was.
--TONI MORRISON, Rita Dove's Grace Notes
BiggerThomas

Location: Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes, you'll see me.

Postby Drossi on August 28th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Don't have the line the OP mentioned but I do have an SA Mastery DT5 that's become my primary line (even over the tried and true Cortland 444 peach!) I love the way it roll casts and especially the olive color. Was my line of choice on the Pequest TCA this Saturday morning. I like drab lines in heavily fished waters.
Resident GST a-hole...
"If that amounts to living in a fools paradise..well then don't tell the fool"
D
Drossi

Postby Bubba Zinetti on August 29th, 2017, 9:08 am

Reading reviews about fly lines is about as helpful as having someone else eat your lunch for you. You may like a line others hate and vice versa. Can you try them out somehow?

I can't tell the difference between moderate and high-priced lines but I can with rods.

Well, yes and no. I do see your point, but if all of the reviews are one star except for a few, that can inform your decision. I have used maybe 3 different fly lines, all mid-priced, and they all did the job that they were supposed to do. None cracked prematurely, or failed in other ways.

What you said about fly rods is true. I was astounded by the difference between moderate and high-priced rods.
"This is for all you new people. I only have one rule... everyone fights no one quits. You don't do your job I'll shoot you. Do you get me?"
Bubba Zinetti

Postby GregT on September 1st, 2017, 5:19 pm

If you have a 5 weight rod, buy 6 weight line. It is amazing how much better it cast especially in any wind condition.

I have been using Cortland 333 for years. it is inexpensive and I change it every two years. :D
GregT

Postby vance on September 2nd, 2017, 8:16 am

I have been using Cortland 444 for years. I have 3 lines Cort. 444 that I have. One is 2 years old and the others are 4years old. They all float great. I grease them up about 4 times a year. I also use Abolene on them before I fish, just the first 10 feet or so. Cannot say enough about Abolene. Bill the mailman
vance

Postby joepanella on September 2nd, 2017, 5:08 pm

I have Cortland sylk, various 444's, and wulff lines. The 25 dollar hook and hackle dt lines are as good as them all. I am not as familiar with the wf lines as I don't use them but I would assume they are good as well. I stay away from a lot of other lines as they are not accurate to their weight.
joepanella
Site Supporter

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing