Musky 10/1

For all talk about fishing for trout in the Garden State!

Musky 10/1

Postby Castaway on October 1st, 2017, 10:39 pm

Fished the musky this evening with my 7 year old. We tried a couple of deeper holes that normally produce. I used a small spinner and never got a bite. I set my son up with a salmon egg and he hooked one but lost it. Tons of flies flying right on top of the water and saw a few fish breaking the surface. I'm sure if we were "fly fishing" we would have had better luck but were not quite ready for that yet. We had the river all to ourselves which actually surprised me for such a beautiful weekend.
Castaway

Re: Musky 10/1

Postby Rusty Spinner on October 2nd, 2017, 8:39 am

Flows remain exceptionally low. All the rains we had in spring and early summer have had zero lasting impact as in it has done little or nothing for our groundwater situation. Those fish can see and sense you when conditions are like they are currently. Some rain coming the first half of next week, I see. But we have been bone dry for another 6+ weeks lately and that is not good. Try those same spots after just enough rain that the water is slightly off color and they will likely feed like nobody's business.
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. Aldo Leopold
Rusty Spinner

Return to New Jersey Trout Fishing