Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 am

Any help is appreciated here - trying to get out early today and a friend told me to fish there in the no kill zone. I am in Livingston all day at the office, whats the best way to get there & spot to hit?

Thanks for any help all...

User avatar
BiggerThomas
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Mike,

If memory serves, I'd put "Peters Valley School of Craft in Layton, NJ" into your GPS. From there, start looking for the Big Flat.

Like I tell my son who's learning to fly fish: part of the joy, of course, is finding a good spot; but the exploration of finding the spot can be just as exciting. Relax and enjoy the learning.
Last edited by BiggerThomas on Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am

EXACTLY!! Thanks!

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon May 07, 2018 11:38 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am
Hi Mike,

If memory serves, I'd put "Peters Valley School of Craft in Layton, NJ" into your GPS. From there, start looking for the Big Flat.

Like I tell my son who's learning to fly fish: part of the joy, of course, is finding a good spot; but the exploration of finding the spot can be just as exciting. Relax and enjoy the learning.
The 3 bridges section will be between Peters Valley and Walpack Township. Look for Bridge Road.
Tight Lines

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am

Is it all fly fishing only?

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon May 07, 2018 11:52 am

MikeB wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am
Is it all fly fishing only?
Been a while since I fished that section but I believe it is fly only upstream from 3 Bridges and not downstream, but I would definitely check the regs because like I said it has been a few years since I fished it.
Tight Lines

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by cappy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm

MikeB...I recommend you read up on the subject, visit the NJF&G website (see links below) and go from there. There have been many major changes this season that everyone fishing for trout should be fully aware of. The fly fishing only sections are no longer, they are now artificial only, barbless hooks and C&R on the FB and KLG. The FB section starts at the concrete bridge on 206 and stretches to the Roy Bridge which is a very long (4+ miles) section of river in total, which includes the section known as the Blewett Tract.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2018/trtregs18.pdf

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtinfo.htm

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

MikeB wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am
Is it all fly fishing only?
No, New Jersey no longer has fly only stretches anywhere in the state. It is a No-Kill section. No bait.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks Cappy, I did that and also spoke with the guy at Stokes Forest Sport Spot who was really helpful.

Started at the first bridge on 560 and fished the 1st half mile downstream. Perfect day and the guy at the sop was spot on with his advice. C&R over 15 fish in the 2.5 hours I was there. Great trip

Here a couple of pics from yesterdays outing:
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG (48.54 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG (50.82 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG (51.03 KiB) Viewed 1698 times

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 am

IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1698 times

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by cappy » Tue May 08, 2018 11:28 am

Looks like a great day! What fly were they hitting on?

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by MikeB » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

All on spinners Cappy, I am getting my fly rod for fathers day this year. Dying to learn the art!

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by cappy » Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm
All on spinners Cappy, I am getting my fly rod for fathers day this year. Dying to learn the art!
It can be frustrating at first, but loads fun and addictive once you get the hang of it.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by lightenup » Tue May 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Just don't take your first fly fishing trip on the East Branch of the Delaware, in a downpour on a drift "boat" with no seats, a 75 pound dog, 3 grown men, no guide, no reg. #'s, a cinder block for an anchor, and 1 fly rod set-up for dry fly fishing....that can be very frustrating :D

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by njcatchrelease » Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm
MikeB wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm
All on spinners Cappy, I am getting my fly rod for fathers day this year. Dying to learn the art!
It can be frustrating at first, but loads fun and addictive once you get the hang of it.
If you have a pond near you I would get out there as often as you can with the fly rod and practice on the bluegills. The practice will help and it will be fun too.

When my son wanted to learn to fly fish I set us up with a guide and did a 1/2 day lesson on the river and then the next day we fished with the guide who helped to teach him more the next day. Worked out great!
Tight Lines

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by Twism86 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am

I need to get to the FB again soon! Its been way too long and it was a place I first really started to fly fish.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

troutfishing4life
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Chatham

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am

Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am
I need to get to the FB again soon! Its been way too long and it was a place I first really started to fly fish.
Was the last time you fished when it was you and I fishing because thats like a million years almost LOL

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am

troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am
Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am
I need to get to the FB again soon! Its been way too long and it was a place I first really started to fly fish.
Was the last time you fished when it was you and I fishing because thats like a million years almost LOL
Yea that is probably about right!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

troutfishing4life
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Chatham

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am
troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am
Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am
I need to get to the FB again soon! Its been way too long and it was a place I first really started to fly fish.
Was the last time you fished when it was you and I fishing because thats like a million years almost LOL
Yea that is probably about right!
WOW! got to be probably 10 plus years. I dont think i was in college yet I think it was the summer before i went so 2008 LOL

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Flat Brook - 3 Bridges

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am

Twism86 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am
troutfishing4life wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am
Twism86 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am
I need to get to the FB again soon! Its been way too long and it was a place I first really started to fly fish.
Was the last time you fished when it was you and I fishing because thats like a million years almost LOL
Yea that is probably about right!
This is a picture of me on possibly the last time I fished the Flat Brook....... For those who know what I look like now... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image

Still have that vest and I love that 3wt rod! I think Rusty gave me that hat which was unfortunately lost to an ex-gf... MCR remembers her mom who hit on him :lol:
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Post Reply