Musky

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

Musky

Post by Vance » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi, Fished the Musky today at Pt.Mt. by Penwell Rd. Had a great day catching Rainbows then lo and behold caught two Brookies. Both about 5inches long. They were small but with beautiful colors. Question. Did the state stock a bunch of Brook Trout? Are these stream bred? It would be nice to know if they are stream bred. Maybe Rusty knows. The guy I was fishing with also caught two Brook Trout and he was fishing down stream from me. Bill the mailmanj

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Musky

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:00 pm

Vance wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:36 pm
Hi, Fished the Musky today at Pt.Mt. by Penwell Rd. Had a great day catching Rainbows then lo and behold caught two Brookies. Both about 5inches long. They were small but with beautiful colors. Question. Did the state stock a bunch of Brook Trout? Are these stream bred? It would be nice to know if they are stream bred. Maybe Rusty knows. The guy I was fishing with also caught two Brook Trout and he was fishing down stream from me. Bill the mailmanj
If they're that small, they're probably wild. Might have come in from the Mine Brook.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:33 am

Vance wrote:
Question. Did the state stock a bunch of Brook Trout?
I am pretty sure the last state stocking of brookies was about 15 years ago after Pequest was infected with disease.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2014/peq ... tation.pdf
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

SBRtool

Post by SBRtool » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am

There's a trib that flows into the Musky right above the Penwell Bridge that has some native brookies in it. My guess is they came from there.

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:53 pm

coincidentally my friend also found a brook trout last week in another trout stream. Where he was just fishing for stocked fish. It too has WTS flowing around it so not surprising but a neat sight

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Got to be little wild fish out of a tributary. I bet they fought like hell!!#

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 pm
everyone knows 5 inch brookies take off downstream with screaming drag! BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! WOoooaaah! Dude, I think I got a brookie! 8-) :mrgreen:

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:54 am

It has been a while but I have caught a few wild rookies in pt mt.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 pm
lightenup wrote:
everyone knows 5 inch brookies take off downstream with screaming drag! BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! WOoooaaah! Dude, I think I got a brookie! 8-) :mrgreen:
OK, smartass, for it's size, I bet it was feisty..Is that better? :D

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Mon May 03, 2021 10:34 am

lightenup wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:33 pm
coaltrout wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 pm
lightenup wrote:
OK, smartass, for it's size, I bet it was feisty..Is that better? :D
:mrgreen: lol i got what you meant originally, i do wish to catch a brookie big enough to experience a fight. Dont think ive caught one bigger than 4 inch yet. If they fight harder than browns it'll be pretty crazy 8-)

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm

If you catch a 12-13 inch wild brookie on a 3 weight, it will definitely put a bend on the rod and you may have to put him on the reel instead of just stripping in like one of the smaller ones. Here is one of the better ones that I have caught-not fat, but pretty long and put up a decent fight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Ti7gxLQByopfVzw6
Attachments
Brookie-rapidan.jpg
Brookie-rapidan.jpg (203.09 KiB) Viewed 9331 times

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm
If you catch a 12-13 inch wild brookie on a 3 weight, it will definitely put a bend on the rod and you may have to put him on the reel instead of just stripping in like one of the smaller ones. Here is one of the better ones that I have caught-not fat, but pretty long and put up a decent fight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Ti7gxLQByopfVzw6
Stunning! Is that a Jersey brookie?

martalus

Post by martalus » Sat May 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks-actually it is a Virginia brookie from the Rapidan river in Shenandoah National Park. I actually have caught a few slightly bigger/heavier ones in NJ about 15 years ago in spring fed meadow creek near in a quasi beaver pond but unfortunately no pictures.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 am

Vance wrote:
The state has zero point zero brook trout in their Pequest Trout Hatchery, so 100% wild fish. The tributaries that enter the top of that TCA are native brook trout tributaries as are ones below the TCA. In fact, many if not most Musky tribs are native brook trout tributaries to the big river. I have always caught a lot of small brookies in Point Mountain. All wild fish.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown