Tippet

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Tippet

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:20 pm

I usually use whatever I have. I like a nice rod a nice click and pawl reel, but never cared about my leader type or tippet. I tried a few hand tied leaders my buddy made. They were great but Im fine with them outta the bag. I have always used RIO tippet because it's what Shannons carries and I live just over the hill. Well during the COVID lockdown I paced an on-line order with another company...sorry Jim, I cheated on you. :) Anyway, they only carried Orvis tippet...I must say it makes a difference. It is far more supple and turns over fantastically. My knots never slipped, usually I'll tie a clunker now and again... I fully endorse Orvis tippet over RIO. Now I need to try other things I may find better, but Im kinda enjoying being stuck in my ways. 1 fly only, almost ever...

Fishybig

Re: Tippet

Post by Fishybig » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:30 am

Rio leader to tippet ring...I've been stuck on upmqua tippet fer over a decade...it has the least memory of any tippet out there...before that was always orvis tippet....never use the expensive flouros but here good things from others

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:40 am

Lots of people like Orvis tippet . But your right there are so many others . I used to like trout hunter but I think I got some bad spools . Right now I like Cortland floro

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:54 am

Since we are posting what our favorites are I'll chime in and say I love Maxima tippets and leaders.
https://www.maximafishingline.com/
I have been using them for quite a while, and I prefer them over most of the other commercial leaders and tippets.

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:37 am

Seaguar Red Label for fluorocarbon
Seaguar Rippin for monofilament

Not necessarily sold as tippet material, however I love the stuff and it's much cheaper in the larger bulk spools to purchase, then tippet material on the small spools. I wind off the big spool onto the smaller tippet spools as needed.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:47 pm

RIO all the way for me and I can get any brand at cost. Used to be a Frog Hair guy long ago until I switched. Also like Trout Hunter, especially their middle sizes (4.5 for example), but not always easy to find and I don't see their rep much these days.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:54 pm

These kinds of threads to me are like which is better, Ford, Mopar or GM? :D I've always found RIO to tie knots easily and without failing, so I stick with that brand. To each his or her own.

I like Maxima in saltwater for what it's worth. Not looking for a subtle turnover of a light fly, I'm trying to chuck half a dead chicken on a shark sized hook as far as I can heave it. Nothing subtle needed. :lol:

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:03 pm

How about furled leaders? A couple guys I know swear by them. Anyone using them?

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:54 pm
These kinds of threads to me are like which is better, Ford, Mopar or GM? :D I've always found RIO to tie knots easily and without failing, so I stick with that brand. To each his or her own.

I like Maxima in saltwater for what it's worth. Not looking for a subtle turnover of a light fly, I'm trying to chuck half a dead chicken on a shark sized hook as far as I can heave it. Nothing subtle needed. :lol:
Ford, Mopar, and GM? That's like comparing, butcher twine, copper wire and extension cords for tippet. If you had said, Toyota, BMW and Audi perhaps I could consider your point. There is a big difference between RIO and Orvis...use them next to each other.
Maxima ties great leaders for trout!!! A little czech indicator on there in a different color is nice also.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Bob J wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:03 pm
How about furled leaders? A couple guys I know swear by them. Anyone using them?
I use a furled leader and Maxima Chameleon for the tippet portions and the dropper rigs. Been doing that for 15 years now.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am

lightenup wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:23 pm
There is a big difference between RIO and Orvis...use them next to each other.

Agreed! Orvis sucks!!!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
lightenup wrote:

Agreed! Orvis sucks!!!
I wouldn't say it sucks...I wouldn't say Rio sucks, but Orvis is definitely more supple and stretches a bit more, actually the perfect amount. That was a well thought out and informative response Rusty, I am very proud of you!!! :D

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
lightenup wrote:

Agreed! Orvis sucks!!!
I wouldn't say it sucks...I wouldn't say Rio sucks, but Orvis is definitely more supple and stretches a bit more, actually the perfect amount. That was a well thought out and informative response Rusty, I am very proud of you!!! :D
Get a room😜

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:30 pm

I don't use either , but id say the difference is like playing 9 ball and Pool . You want alot of S in the tippet after you shock the leader ala George Harvey , then orvis is your brand . You want something a little stiffer that's gonna turn over no issues , your a Rio guy .
Personal Taste .

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:30 pm
I don't use either , but id say the difference is like playing 9 ball and Pool . You want alot of S in the tippet after you shock the leader ala George Harvey , then orvis is your brand . You want something a little stiffer that's gonna turn over no issues , your a Rio guy .
Personal Taste .
Rusty definitely likes it stiff... :twisted: :D :D :D :D

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Lol!! I can see from that other site , that the two of you have history...

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:46 pm
Lol!! I can see from that other site , that the two of you have history...
Rusty is a good man, and A OK in my book. Just poking some fun.