Well the time has come

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm

for me to get 1 of these :roll: . When I was young. I used to plow thru the water with ease. Now @ 55. things are a little different now :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
Image
Image
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Well the time has come

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:37 am

Yep, depending on the river I also use one. I made my own from an Ash rake handle, little heavy, however it will support a building, and take one hell of a beating. I put a t-section on the top for added support, also helps grabbing branches to free a fly. Tennis racket tape for a sure grip.

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:52 am

cappy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:37 am
Yep, depending on the river I also use one. I made my own from an Ash rake handle, little heavy, however it will support a building, and take one hell of a beating. I put a t-section on the top for added support, also helps grabbing branches to free a fly. Tennis racket tape for a sure grip.
Niceeeee. I probably wont use this in freestone rivers & pretty much flat bottom river like the BFB. But damn sure will use it like places on the Salmon river .....
Was known as Troutman1

Vance
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Vance » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 am

Hi, I have been using a rake handle for years and years. Took old rake cut it down put a drill bit in bottom drilled hole in top part and put a rope through it and tie it to my vest. I used it in Montana ,NY,Pa. and in Jersey. It may look ugly but it gets the job done. Put on three coats of poly. If it hadn’t been for my rake handle I would have been in the water plenty of times getting soaked. Bill the mailman

User avatar
cappy
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: On the River

Re: Well the time has come

Post by cappy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 am

BFB is not bad, don't need it. I use it when I visit the Gorge and parts of the Musky. Neversink in NY Unique area is about as bad as it gets, don't bother wading if you don't have a sturdy staff. West Branch if flows are high but wadable.

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 am

cappy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:37 am
BFB is not bad, don't need it. I use it when I visit the Gorge and parts of the Musky. Neversink in NY Unique area is about as bad as it gets, don't bother wading if you don't have a sturdy staff. West Branch if flows are high but wadable.
BFB for the most part wont need it. The other 5 river up north as you mentioned in certain sections will. I never fished the neversink area, But its o my bucket list to do. The w. branch when the flow is high & in certain areas for sure. The rocks up there for some reason is saturated in the green snot. slippery as oil on ice :o
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:11 am

Vance wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 am
Hi, I have been using a rake handle for years and years. Took old rake cut it down put a drill bit in bottom drilled hole in top part and put a rope through it and tie it to my vest. I used it in Montana ,NY,Pa. and in Jersey. It may look ugly but it gets the job done. Put on three coats of poly. If it hadn’t been for my rake handle I would have been in the water plenty of times getting soaked. Bill the mailman
Ive seen a few guys fabricate the same way you do. I think they use a broom stick thou. Its attached to a few feet lanyard. It floats in the water when their wading
Was known as Troutman1

Johnw
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 am
Location: Red Bank NJ

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Johnw » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:32 am

I use an old aluminum ski pole - saved me from lots of spills.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm
Location: Monmouth County

Re: Well the time has come

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am

After my fall in 2021 at the Gorge, I made the purchase and am glad I did. Smart move Troutman, I am 2 years younger and it stunk to admit it was time.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:44 am

Johnw wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:32 am
I use an old aluminum ski pole - saved me from lots of spills.
Cheapest alternative there is and effective!

That said, I have a Folstaff and keep it in my truck at all times. I first got a wading staff while working for TU when TU asked anglers to avoid felts for didymo reasons and go rubber. Rubber soles are terrifying, and I have since switched back to studded felts now that didymo is a well known issue that wearing rubber soles won't change. The fact that you always have two points of contact with the bottom ensures you won't slip and fall.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
swissbill
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by swissbill » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am

At 79, I can vouch for this staff! the best.

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:43 pm

Johnw wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:32 am
I use an old aluminum ski pole - saved me from lots of spills.
Ive seen a few guys use this. It seems real popular in the salmon river
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:44 am
Johnw wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:32 am
I use an old aluminum ski pole - saved me from lots of spills.
TU asked anglers to avoid felts for didymo reasons and go rubber. Rubber soles are terrifying, and I have since switched back to studded felts now that didymo is a well known issue that wearing rubber soles won't change..
I tried a pair of wading boots with the klingon rubber soles a few years ago with the studs. & still busted my azz. I returned the boots & bought the felt 1s with the studs.Imo there is no substitution for felt if they are allowed in that state
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:49 pm

swissbill wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am
At 79, I can vouch for this staff! the best.
good to hear. I will soon find out on my next outing. not this weekend as it suppose to reach in the 90s
Was known as Troutman1

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 pm

I should use one at 52, but I haven't taken a spill yet,and until I do, close calls don't count. I fell once,but on dry land. Broke my rod and bent my reel. I am more careful now. :? :mrgreen:

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:56 am

lightenup wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 pm
I should use one at 52, but I haven't taken a spill yet,and until I do, close calls don't count. I fell once,but on dry land. Broke my rod and bent my reel. I am more careful now. :? :mrgreen:
It just been the last 2 years that I slowed down somewhat wading thru currents. Seems my footing is not what it was a just a few years ago :( . Id say I had a good run for that time up to my age of 56 :lol: . But just as life you adapt & keep pushing forward ;)
Was known as Troutman1

FuzzyOne
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Well the time has come

Post by FuzzyOne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm

I picked up a Folstaff last year after taking a spill. Couldn't imagine being on a river now without it. It's one of those purchases you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. 55 for the record! 🙄

redietz
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by redietz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Troutman wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 am
BFB for the most part wont need it.
Yet.

I started using a wading staff for big fast water when I was about your age. As time went on, those waters became progressively smaller and slower. At 70, I now use one one in all streams, no matter how easy to wade.

Once you reach a certain age, you're nuts not to use one.

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:48 am

redietz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:59 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 am
BFB for the most part wont need it.
Yet.

I started using a wading staff for big fast water when I was about your age. As time went on, those waters became progressively smaller and slower. At 70, I now use one one in all streams, no matter how easy to wade.

Once you reach a certain age, you're nuts not to use one.
advise taken....

thank you ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Well the time has come

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am

FuzzyOne wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm
I picked up a Folstaff last year after taking a spill. Couldn't imagine being on a river now without it. It's one of those purchases you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. 55 for the record! 🙄
I was actually looked @ that brand, but was out of stock :(
Was known as Troutman1

Post Reply